Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Not from NC, but what the heck, I'll chime in whether I understand the rules or not. I am tomato based sauce fan. I start with KC Masterpiece. To that I add brown sugar and some vinegar, (gotta do vinegar) heat it and it is good. My daughter uses it a a dipping sauce for different things. I have been known to put it on a sandwich rather that ketchup or mustard.

I’m not from NC either! All comments welcome. :)

Reactions: kkay59

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
It's sweet, but there is still a bit of tang and an underlying smoke
Exactly. It has a very strong flavor. Sometimes when I go to take a bite I get a whiff of the vinegar and it sets off a coughing spasm. It has plenty of vinegar in it and as you say, the smoky flavor too. I've made my own sauces, tried other people's sauces, bought all kinds of sauces but nothing compares to SBRs. Knew an old black guy who made his own sauce. Big batches of it. That stuff was real good too. Best I had besides SBRs. Some of the best bbq sauces come from the black community.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Remember when the only bottled bbq sauce available was Krafts? Man that stuff is horrible.

th

76bridget

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Thanks for the concern friends! I'm good, 25th reunion is in the books. A lot of fun, but a lot of work too.

The rainfall totals here are ridiculous and there were more tornadoes last night. We have been lucky so far.

Hot, muggy, and buggy. Snakey too. Chased two of them out of the garage in the last three days. A copperhead tonight.

I could not 'chase out' a copperhead for fear he'd return!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Thanks for the concern friends! I'm good, 25th reunion is in the books. A lot of fun, but a lot of work too.

The rainfall totals here are ridiculous and there were more tornadoes last night. We have been lucky so far.

Copperheads have good memories. Bad experiences are something they don't forget. :)

And if you kill it, a new one (with no bad memories) takes its place. Killing them just invites others.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014

Glad it went well and was fun! I forget — was DH able to go with you?

I *might* have gone to my 5th year reunion. I vaguely remember leaving early. Haven’t gone to one since then.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Papaw I have never had any ketchup based BBQ. Some may put a spoonful of it in there, but that is about it. My dad made some great sauce, but I don't have the recipe for it. If I do I forgot about it. I haven't cooked outdoors in a very long time. I did have his recipe for BBQ Chicken though. It is in a mountain of recipe boxes though.

So was it a red sauce? If so, what makes it red if not ketchup? I’m curious!

76bridget

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Glad it went well and was fun! I forget — was DH able to go with you?

I *might* have gone to my 5th year reunion. I vaguely remember leaving early. Haven’t gone to one since then.
No, he wasn't able to come. I'm heading up there for a visit next weekend.
We had 13 of 47 classmates show up for the banquet. About 4 of us put in the work. The 25th year puts on the banquet for the 50th.
I won't go to another one for a long while, lol. It was fun, but the get-togethers before and after the banquet are sufficient enough to see old friends. :)

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
LA my memory stinks. It was tomato based, but it had vinegar and I think mustard too. It also had onion, and if I remember right some bell pepper. I can't remember all that was in it for sure. It was more tangy than sweet. My brother-in-law made the best bbq brisket I've ever had though. He slow cooked it all day. He has passed a good many years ago, sadly. If he were alive today, I would get the recipe from him. We all loved to go camping, and it wasn't a cook out without his brisket. I knew a lady who made some great brisket in the oven though. She used a jar of jalapeno, with the liquid. She poured it all over the brisket and cooked it on the lowest setting, covered. (for most of the time) Now and then she would baste it with all the juices, so it didn't dry out. I didn't think it would be so good, but it was great actually. It did leave a slight green tinge to the meat, but it was delicious.

Users who are viewing this thread