Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Wow what a day! Awesome Gary pulled thru and got you there, and wifey got you home. I’m sorry the nurse was giving you a hard time about the meds. She’s either incredibly insensitive, a closed minded rule follower, or just doesn’t understand your full diagnosis. I’ve run into these issues as well, and I become a little surly and snippy. I know how a nurse is supposed to behave and respond and being on the other end of it, has been a challenge.
Hope you continue to feel relatively “ok” post chemo. They’re all different but I did find days 3-5 were the toughest on me cognitively and fatigue-wise.
And most importantly I hope it works to shrink the tumor and ease the pain.
Hang in there!
Scot told her he did not like the side effects of the morphine and it wasn't working for him , that's enough right there as far as I'm concerned . It's his body , his health and his decision as an adult , end of story as far as I'm concerned . The attending doc on duty for that department should have been called in considering the amount of pain Scot was in . I'd have needed the morphine if I spent too much longer in the hard plastic chair they have for visitors , suitable for an 8 year old child , not a 60 year old man with degenerative arthritis in the spine and hips . :grr:

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
lol... at one point I heard Nurse Ratchet get onto gary about touching something and she got onto him about gloves and no gloves handling.... when I was delivering meds to various hospitals ( IV nutrients, Chemo mixes, specialty salines, and nuclear meds etc) 95% of the meds were made up in an ultra clean room, paper suits, positive ventilation hoods and masks, taped booties and gloves etc where the bulk product was transfered to the IV bags... Complete sanitary conditions! But once the bags were completed being filled, they were "thrown" onto a cart, pushed thru the QC check station and then to the packing station where they were handled by techs not wearing much at all in the way of protective clothing other than the white paper lab jackets, gloves optional. Ive seen multiple bags ( IV) get dropped the the floor, handled by multiple people, in "normal enviromental" conditions. When delivered to the nurses station they are handled by at least 3 people on the way to the patient or storage ( no gloves).... so, obviously, nurse Ratchet has very unrealistic ideas on how "sanitary" the conditions are pre arrival are, or she prefers to use her "knowledge" to command the situation.... o_O

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Man, this nurse is getting on my nerves!
Every once in a while I see a nursing student all gloved up changing the IV bags. I’ve asked, they say they taught that to them in school. Perhaps my age is showing, but it really doesn’t make sense. I didn’t learn it that way and no one has come around and said “oh by the way, we’ve changed standard nursing practice”.

please ask for a different nurse for next infusion. Call the office next week and just have them make a note that Nurse XYZ is not allowed to take care of you. You CAN fire your nurse. People do it all the time. It’s just not a good fit for you. It’s your right as a patient to have compassionate and competent care. You really don’t need to spend 11 hours with someone that doesn’t make you feel like you are the most important person in the room. A good nurse will make you feel that way, and they are NEVER bothered by anything you say, do or wear or eat etc....

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Scot told her he did not like the side effects of the morphine and it wasn't working for him , that's enough right there as far as I'm concerned . It's his body , his health and his decision as an adult , end of story as far as I'm concerned . The attending doc on duty for that department should have been called in considering the amount of pain Scot was in . I'd have needed the morphine if I spent too much longer in the hard plastic chair they have for visitors , suitable for an 8 year old child , not a 60 year old man with degenerative arthritis in the spine and hips . :grr:
Scot’s pain med choices are between him and his Dr. She is out of line. Feel free to tell her. Someone needs to. It’s about to me if I keep hearing these horror stories! I just don’t know who to call :)

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Omg, the more I read the more disappointment I have in my fellow nurses.

Pain is subjective. The ONLY person that can score it is the patient. (That pain scale is a Medicare/Medicaid mandate for reimbursement, if there’s no number on your chart they don’t get paid).

and Yes, you are correct with the use of sepsis. Sepsis is the contamination of the blood stream, Septic is when it’s not treated and all body systems start shutting down. That’s at least how I remember it at least.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Scot’s pain med choices are between him and his Dr. She is out of line. Feel free to tell her. Someone needs to. It’s about to me if I keep hearing these horror stories! I just don’t know who to call :)

I have read many data sheets which arrive with the wifeys meds and on every one of them the instructions dealing with side effects ect state specifically to stop taking the meds immediatly and contact the physician!!! The last morphine I took was (IIRC) late Sat nite and calling the Dr at that time would have been futile ;)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
this is my rendition of pain and meds controlling pain...

Pain is a box with a light in it a very strong litebulb that has different controls
Pain type, this is the control box that makes the light do its different things such as stay on all the time, rise and fall at what ever speed you are feeling or flash instantly like a camera flash or strobe
Pain strength, this is a control knob that controls the intensity of the light brightness, like a dimmer switch or mood lighting control knob, you can set it for a dim level 1 glow or to retina toasting level 10

Pain meds are like light filters, thin clear filters are the OTC pain relievers, the darker, thicker filters are the prescription meds. Which by the way only last 4-6 hrs before they go clear when exposed to lite.

For example, a twisted ankle has constant pain along with that tooth grinding pulse that always seems to match your heart beat ;)
So, you have a choice to block out the lite in the box ( which is set at hard on the eyes to look at with out a filter ehhh a 7 setting) you use an OCT cream ( 5% lidocaine) that equates to a #2 filter ( a sheet of white typing paper is the filter) you rub on the cream and it is like placing the #2 filter on a #7 lite source, the lite still comes thru... you still see the light, therefore you still feel pain. A#7 filter ( black construction paper) lets say 10mg Oxy codone would stop all light and you wont see any therefore no pain is felt. This is good and bad, no pain good, bad because you get up and do things that continue to create more damage to the ankle.

another far fetched example...

lite is set on #9 at a constant burn added in also is a sharp pulse that almost hits #10, you are given a #1 filter ( a sheet of lite gray smoked glass) Filter is in place and light is on.... you see alot of lite therefore alot of pain you took baby aspirin for a full blown migraine.

When Drs look at the patients pain, they need to take off the sunglasses they are forced to wear given to them by the government and insurance companies o_O

Last edited:

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
this is my rendition of pain and meds controlling pain...

Pain is a box with a light in it a very strong litebulb that has different controls
Pain type, this is the control box that makes the light do its different things such as stay on all the time, rise and fall at what ever speed you are feeling or flash instantly like a camera flash or strobe
Pain strength, this is a control knob that controls the intensity of the light brightness, like a dimmer switch or mood lighting control knob

Pain meds are like light filters, thin clear filters are the OTC pain relievers, the darker, thicker filters are the prescription meds. Which by the way only last 4-6 hrs before they go clear when exposed to lite.

For example, a twisted ankle has constant pain along with that tooth grinding pulse that always seems to match your heart beat ;)
So, you have a choice to block out the lite in the box ( which is set at hard on the eyes to look at with out a filter ehhh a 7 setting) you use an OCT cream ( 5% lidocaine) that equates to a #2 filter ( a sheet of white typing paper is the filter) you rub on the cream and it is like placing the #2 filter on a #7 lite source, the lite still comes thru... you still see the light, therefore you still feel pain. A#7 filter ( black construction paper) lets say 10mg Oxy codone would stop all light and you wont see any therefore no pain is felt. This is good and bad, no pain good, bad because you get up and do things that continue to create more damage to the ankle.

another far fetched example...

lite is set on #9 at a constant burn added in also is a sharp pulse that almost hits #10, you are given a #1 filter ( a sheet of lite gray smoked glass) Filter is in place and light is on.... you see alot of lite therefore alot of pain you took baby aspirin for a full blown migraine.

When Drs look at the patients pain, they need to take off the sunglasses they are forced to wear given to them by the government and insurance companies o_O
So what you're telling us is that after you have successfully built your get out of bed sling, you're going to be inventing a pain light box, and then take it with you to your appointments to give any psycho nurse or doctor seizures until they give you the pain meds you need?

Seriously though, what MostlySunny (April?) said, fire that nurse. I wouldn't be able to tolerate one treating my mom that way. No patient should have to put up with that kind of treatment.

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
CJ.. yes, it’s April.

And let’s not forget the pain suit he wants everyone to wear and the pain he’s going to inflict on nursing students/ med students so they understand severe pain (I’m quite certain most are capable of being sympathetic without that) :)

@Bunnykiller is about to revolutionize the traditional pain management model.

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
@Bunnykiller I’m seriously going to be so upset if your next treatment involves this poor excuse of a nurse.
One of my chemo nurses was not the greatest as well. I had a real hard time with the taste from the port flushes. If I plug my nose, hold my breath and keep a mint in my mouth it was tolerable. I told him every time that I needed a warning. He never did. And worse, he’d ask me a question during the flush so I’d talk and taste it a million times worse. All the other nurses worked with me. Not nearly what you experienced but not great either.
This whole process I know is making me a better nurse. Not that I wasn’t kind before this, but there’s always room for improvement. I try to remain teachable.
How are you feeling?

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
lol... at one point I heard Nurse Ratchet get onto gary about touching something and she got onto him about gloves and no gloves handling.... when I was delivering meds to various hospitals ( IV nutrients, Chemo mixes, specialty salines, and nuclear meds etc) 95% of the meds were made up in an ultra clean room, paper suits, positive ventilation hoods and masks, taped booties and gloves etc where the bulk product was transfered to the IV bags... Complete sanitary conditions! But once the bags were completed being filled, they were "thrown" onto a cart, pushed thru the QC check station and then to the packing station where they were handled by techs not wearing much at all in the way of protective clothing other than the white paper lab jackets, gloves optional. Ive seen multiple bags ( IV) get dropped the the floor, handled by multiple people, in "normal enviromental" conditions. When delivered to the nurses station they are handled by at least 3 people on the way to the patient or storage ( no gloves).... so, obviously, nurse Ratchet has very unrealistic ideas on how "sanitary" the conditions are pre arrival are, or she prefers to use her "knowledge" to command the situation.... o_O
Huh , I musta completely tuned that out , comes from years of things being said that I don't wanna hear . ;)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Evening All... :|
been one of those yucky days, kinda like having the onset of flu nagging at ya... headachey, upset tummy, general weakness, tired but not sleepy. had to swap over to the morphine since Im low on Oxy. bad move.
ended up taking 2 morphines in the "normal manner" ( extended release mode) took over an hr to make any difference in pain relief, once it kicked in it dropped the base line from a 7 to a 5, and thats 30mg worth but it lasted almost 7 hrs. Normally I take 7.5-10 mg ( 1-1.5 pills ) Oxy and it kicks in within 30 minutes and drops base line from a 7-8 to a 3-4 ( Oxy is much better pain reliever for me) altho it only lasts 3-4 hrs and doesnt give me brain fog. sooo between the morphine mess up and the chemo hang over, I should have taken the Blue Pill ;)

still waiting on the delivery notice from Harbor freight to come in... I got the purchase confirmation within seconds of placing the order tho ;)
hopefully my parts for the bed slingshot will be in "before its too late" ;)
My super special order arrived today, got enuf to last 4 months... Drew Estates Tabak Especial Cafe Con Leche Cigars ... gonna dual use for the next few months.. :shock::evil:
its like "smoking" Dragon fire mixed with Temptation, Fresh Grindz and Tuscan Cocoa in tobacco form :) and the wifey approves of the "aroma", she sez its like the same smell of cooking chocolate chip cookies when she walks into my "office" ( aka Man Cave) :)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
@Bunnykiller I’m seriously going to be so upset if your next treatment involves this poor excuse of a nurse.
One of my chemo nurses was not the greatest as well. I had a real hard time with the taste from the port flushes. If I plug my nose, hold my breath and keep a mint in my mouth it was tolerable. I told him every time that I needed a warning. He never did. And worse, he’d ask me a question during the flush so I’d talk and taste it a million times worse. All the other nurses worked with me. Not nearly what you experienced but not great either.
This whole process I know is making me a better nurse. Not that I wasn’t kind before this, but there’s always room for improvement. I try to remain teachable.
How are you feeling?

Ya know... Ill bet the nurse knew that about flushing and the taste thing and "obligated" the patients into talking just out of pure evil......

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Good Morning Army. Hula is probably sitting down for supper as I am getting up for work.
After 34 years of marriage, I can ignore female voice quite well. Or if they get too insistent, just make a smart aleck remark that sends them spinning off into another room.
But I can also turn on the charm. "Sugar doesn't melt in your mouth, does it ?" is something I've heard before.
1) Be Nice. 2) Be Quiet. 3) Smart Aleck 4) whatever it takes to get you out of my face.
Scot, I hate that you have to go through such ordeals. Especially with someone who is supposed to be there to assist you. Hopefully something will begin to improve one way or another.
kkay, are you still alive ? Your not playing Dorothy, scrambling around a tornado, are you ?
Where's the coffee pot ?

Have a Safe and Blessed Day :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Had a long kitchen day today.

I made:
  • Shea, coconut oil cream with Jojoba & Rosemary. I melted down 2.5 jars of the first batch and used it to make a new batch with a better ratio. Less oily, more creamy.
  • Sourdough buttermilk biscuits.
  • White Kimchi — using a whole head of cabbage in a darn big jar. This version has no red pepper flakes.
  • Cucumber kimchi — worst part is dicing garlic & ginger and julienned carrot. So much slicing!
  • Ginger Tea with honey and lemon.
I did a lot of dishes today. ;)

Most days right around 4 pm I hear the song of a Bullocks Oriole with coloration like this one. It’s a joyous sound! It’s either a female or an adolescent male. Adult males have deep orange where this one is tan or gold.

I have a monocular and enjoyed a long show yesterday afternoon while it was perched on the palm tree near our balcony. I’m not usually into bird watching, but I had to see the source of such beautiful music. Searched online images to find out what kind of bird the singer was.

We take joy where we find it. :)

2442A47A-2350-4472-B249-220E912BEA5C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread