Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
My excuse is it’s been a busy week. Was gonna work all weekend to catch up, but spent a lot of time in the kitchen instead. Got some sourdough rye proofing in the fridge that I’ll bake tomorrow. It’s finally cooled down again so I can run the oven. And today I made Brussels sprouts in my cast iron pan which is such a great way to make them. Yes, my life is that exciting. :)

The third of three batches. The other two batches filled the pan.

View attachment 957657
How’d you make those sprouts?

Good morning Arm!

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Morning...

20210926_174714.jpg

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
How’d you make those sprouts?

Good morning Arm!

Medium heat. Preheat the cast iron pan then add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Get the oil heated. Sprouts go in cut side down and cook undisturbed for 5 - 7 mins until they caramelize. Adjust heat as needed so they get there but don’t burn. Drizzle a bit more oil as needed. Flip and cook another 5 mins or until however soft you’d like. salt & pepper as you go.

When they are done, drizzle with a good balsamic vinegar or lemon juice. Stir & enjoy.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Medium heat. Preheat the cast iron pan then add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Get the oil heated. Sprouts go in cut side down and cook undisturbed for 5 - 7 mins until they caramelize. Adjust heat as needed so they get there but don’t burn. Drizzle a bit more oil as needed. Flip and cook another 5 mins or until however soft you’d like. Salt & pepper as you go.

When they are done, drizzle with a good balsamic vinegar or lemon juice. Stir & enjoy.
Mrs CMD roasts different vegetables, always with onions, in the oven in a similar way. I am going to add the balsamic vinegar to my serving, sounds very excellent.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Medium heat. Preheat the cast iron pan then add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Get the oil heated. Sprouts go in cut side down and cook undisturbed for 5 - 7 mins until they caramelize. Adjust heat as needed so they get there but don’t burn. Drizzle a bit more oil as needed. Flip and cook another 5 mins or until however soft you’d like. Salt & pepper as you go.

Simple how I like it. I usually saute them in bacon grease from the bacon I made to make crumbs that I throw in. But I like to mix it up a little.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Simple how I like it. I usually saute them in bacon grease from the bacon I made to make crumbs that I throw in. But I like to mix it up a little.

Ummmm, I make wilted lettuce using bacon grease, a little balsamic vinegar, onions, a burger, a beer and a KC Royals ball game on a warm summer eve.

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
my reds are not.
we had a good run however and I managed to go to the ballpark 11 times this season.
one vow I made during the covid-season when I realized that in that first season where I lived close enough to be able to walk* to the park - after having spent the last 25 years following from >4.5k miles away - I have only been a meager 3 times in 2019.

still, that september collapse followed by extending the skippers contract because it was "good enough" was/IS hard to watch. AND, while the dodgers were in town the stadium was 80% blue which I see as writing on the wall that the folks here have given up on their team (they still had a valid postseason chance then)

* when sitting outside I can hear the "we won" fireworks before the tv stream gets there. always nice during close games given our shaky/non-existant closer situation. just 10 seconds relief prior to the tv/radio delivering the good news :wub:

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Mrs CMD roasts different vegetables, always with onions, in the oven in a similar way. I am going to add the balsamic vinegar to my serving, sounds very excellent.

I love oven roasted veggies of all kinds. Always made my brussels sprouts that way. The cast iron gets them a little crispier and a well seasoned pan brings a hint of grill flavor. Adding a dash of acid is what made me love the sprouts even more. Sometimes I grate cheese over them too.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014

Oh bits of bacon make everything better! Costco sells surprisingly good, real bacon bits that I’m addicted to in salads.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
my reds are not.
we had a good run however and I managed to go to the ballpark 11 times this season.
one vow I made during the covid-season when I realized that in that first season where I lived close enough to be able to walk* to the park - after having spent the last 25 years following from >4.5k miles away - I have only been a meager 3 times in 2019.

still, that september collapse followed by extending the skippers contract because it was "good enough" was/IS hard to watch. AND, while the dodgers were in town the stadium was 80% blue which I see as writing on the wall that the folks here have given up on their team (they still had a valid postseason chance then)

* when sitting outside I can hear the "we won" fireworks before the tv stream gets there. always nice during close games given our shaky/non-existant closer situation. just 10 seconds relief prior to the tv/radio delivering the good news :wub:

Good job getting to the park so often! Sorry the boys let you down. Nice to see you here though! Hope you and your bride are doing well.

Last edited:

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
All’s well in the ‘nati. Buried in work, both of us, 12hrs in (home) office and all, but that’s what we picked, so no complaints
Besides, who am i talking too :)

bsprouts look delicious! Do you add the vinegar while they are in the cast iron pan? got one this year for my bday and read somewhere that adding acids isn’t that good, but alteady felt that if you clean it afterwards it can’t be so bad

Still learning to use it though so open to tips. Had it with us for camping - made everything in it from steak, burger, veggies to breakfast egg’s’n bacon…aww, wanna go back to vacay now :)
Recently “dared“ to make a dish with (acidic?) tomatoes in it and it survived. I’m cleaning it religiously though.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
my reds are not.

Your Reds come to Chicago to play my Sox tomorrow and Wednesday. Reds barely hanging on.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
All’s well in the ‘nati. Buried in work, both of us, 12hrs in (home) office and all, but that’s what we picked, so no complaints
Besides, who am i talking too :)

bsprouts look delicious! Do you add the vinegar while they are in the cast iron pan? got one this year for my bday and read somewhere that adding acids isn’t that good, but alteady felt that if you clean it afterwards it can’t be so bad

Still learning to use it though so open to tips. Had it with us for camping - made everything in it from steak, burger, veggies to breakfast egg’s’n bacon…aww, wanna go back to vacay now :)
Recently “dared“ to make a dish with (acidic?) tomatoes in it and it survived. I’m cleaning it religiously though.

I add the vinegar in the bowl after removing from cast iron pan. If the pan has a good layer of seasoning, it does fine with a bit of acid like tomatoes cooked in it.

I’ve gone through crazy steps to get new cast iron seasoned well. Including 3 hr processes using flax seed oil which stinks when it’s heated. I don’t recommend using flax seed oil. But I love my cast iron and wanted it to last.

Then I found Cowboy Kent Rollins on YouTube and relaxed about my cast iron. The methods in this 5 min video work great. He also has a great 15 minute overview of use & care. I brought my Dutch oven back to life with simple heat and scrub based on Kent’s advice.

I do use dish soap in my pan but not super hot water. Rinse, dry then heat it on low to really dry it. Rub in some oil while it’s warm, then rub it all off. Just watch Kent — he knows his stuff!

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
I add the vinegar in the bowl after removing from cast iron pan. If the pan has a good layer of seasoning, it does fine with a bit of acid like tomatoes cooked in it.

I’ve gone through crazy steps to get new cast iron seasoned well. Including 3 hr processes using flax seed oil which stinks when it’s heated. I don’t recommend using flax seed oil. But I love my cast iron and wanted it to last.

Then I found Cowboy Kent Rollins on YouTube and relaxed about my cast iron. The methods in this 5 min video work great. He also has a great 15 minute overview of use & care. I brought my Dutch oven back to life with simple heat and scrub based on Kent’s advice.

I do use dish soap in my pan but not super hot water. Rinse, dry then heat it on low to really dry it. Rub in some oil while it’s warm, then rub it all off. Just watch Kent — he knows his stuff!

thanks for those insights
will check him out after the game/beer, just got off work

my pan has so far only been scrub cleaned (heavily), and heated with oil to get the rest off. Using that yellow seasoning spray that is the same brand the pan is - really big name, but can’t remember right now. Long day. Anyway. Seasoned it with that - and luckily we were camping and outside when i broke it in :)
And cooked all the good meats and bacon in it - that should help seasoning according to the almighty internetz

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Toss in a little bread crumbs , it helps the bacon grease to coat the sprouts and absorbs the flavor , onions and a chopped hard boiled egg along with the bacon and bread crumbs and it becomes a pollonaise , a classic dish .

Users who are viewing this thread