Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
The flag...

Screen shot 2022-09-22 at 8.20.42 AM.png

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Afternoon... Weather about the same as yesterday... About 70 with a nice breeze. I'd really like it if Scruffy would stop bringing bugs in the house. Must be a cat thing. Bring it in, take a leg off, then play with it. :rolleyes:

View attachment 981414
They like showing you what they catch. Never knew why.

Reactions: DavidOH

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I believe later today we're supposed to take out an asteroid. An experiment where we sent out a space bullet to collide with the thing. Can't wait. Several million miles away.
Here's the details on DART plus where and when to watch...

"An asteroid minding its own business not too far from Earth is about to get knocked about by a visitor from our planet."

"On Monday, NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test spacecraft, or DART, is set to collide with Dimorphos, a small asteroid that is the moon of a larger space rock, Didymos. While these two near-Earth objects pose no immediate threat to our world, NASA launched DART last year to test a technique that could one day be used for planetary defense. Here’s what you need to know about the mission."

"DART is set to crash into Dimorphos at 14,000 miles per hour at 7:14 p.m. Eastern time on Monday. NASA Television will broadcast coverage of the end of this mission beginning at 6 p.m. Or you can watch it in the video player embedded above."

"If all you want to watch is a stream of photos from the spacecraft as it closes in on the asteroid, NASA’s media channel will begin broadcasting those at 5:30 p.m."

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Afternoon... Dentist visit done. Just waiting to get feeling back to my mouth.. One of my Wreaker mods stopped seeing the atomizer last night.. Took it apart and the solder connection for the ground on the board from the connector didn't look good. So I touched both ground and positive connections with the iron. That fixed it.:thumb:

20220924_124554.jpg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Well, I thought the picture was coming from a telescope and we’d see an explosion or sumpin’. Nope. It was some kind of camera on the spacecraft itself…the thing that smashed into the asteroid. So of course we get no image of an impact because it blew up. But we saw up to the moment of impact and it was a direct hit. Kinda neat. Now NASA will analyze what effect we had in moving that asteroid. Not sure how long that will take.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I don’t know if I ever told this story before. When the Brits sent settlers to America in 1607 to start Jamestown they had specific missions for the settlers. They didn’t send them across the Atlantic just to sit around and drink beer. One mission was to spread their religion. Another was to find valuable minerals and other resources. But the one that Interested me the most was the exploration mission. It had become increasingly more dangerous for England to trade with China. The trade routes were wrought with peril. Natural and man made. So they wanted the settlers to see if they could find another trade route to China. So what did the Jamestown settlers do? They packed up a bunch of canoes and started paddling down a river to find China. Hahaha!! We knew so little just 400 years ago. Now we’re sending probes 4,000,000,000 miles away to smash into a mile wide rock.

Users who are viewing this thread