Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I tried to find the studies discussed in the recent FDA workshop on biomarkers and could not find them specifically but I did come across this:
http://uwphi.pophealth.wisc.edu/programs/health-policy/ebhpp/events/20150415/hecht.pdf

I haven't been able to find the published study itself.

Key point:
upload_2015-8-5_12-45-13.png

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I tried to find the studies discussed in the recent FDA workshop on biomarkers and could not find them specifically but I did come across this:
http://uwphi.pophealth.wisc.edu/programs/health-policy/ebhpp/events/20150415/hecht.pdf

I haven't been able to find the published study itself.

Key point:
View attachment 478327
From the summary at the end:
Levels of oxidant and inflammation biomarkers were similar in smokers and e-cigarette users. This observation requires further study.
and
Nevertheless, allowing e-cigarette use in indoor spaces could begin to reverse the significant progress that has been made in regulation of indoor smoking
o
Changes social norms
o
Reduces cues for smoking
o
An established method of tobacco control

My setup is missing some of the requirements for viewing the FDA workshop. It sounds like it was very encouraging. I'm wondering if comments like I just quoted were part of the discussion.

Reactions: LaraC

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
From the summary at the end:
and

My setup is missing some of the requirements for viewing the FDA workshop. It sounds like it was very encouraging. I'm wondering if comments like I just quoted were part of the discussion.
I didn't catch Hecht's actual presentation and haven't had time to go back and watch it, so I'm not sure if he covered those. I did notice that the slide is missing data for non-smokers regarding oxidant and inflammation biomarkers.

As for the last point of their summary... Saying we should still ban indoor vaping, even though it does not present physical harm, because it could re-normalize smoking...

Last edited:
Reactions: LaraC

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Hecht and/or Hatsukami presented some of those same slides at FDA's recent workshop.

Please note that Hecht and Hatsukami have received tens of millions of dollars from DHHS during the past 25 years to conduct research on smokeless tobacco products, and to then manipulate and misrepresent their findings to confuse and scare the public to believe that smokeless tobacco products are as hazardous as cigarettes, and to lobby for FDA regulations to mandate sharp reductions in various smokeless tobacco constituents (even though smokeless tobacco is 99% less hazardous than cigarettes, and there is no evidence that smokeless tobacco constituents increase disease risks).

Had this study been published in a journal, its title (and the title of its press release) would have been something like
"E-cigarettes found to contain carcinogens and toxins"
and would have contained quotes by Hecht or Hatsukami saying something like
"While our study found that e-cigarettes may be less hazardous than cigarettes, we need to conduct far more research before conclusions can be made. Until then, we need FDA regulation of these potentially addictive and hazardous products to protect children."

Reactions: skoony

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Had this study been published in a journal, its title (and the title of its press release) would have been something like
"E-cigarettes found to contain carcinogens and toxins"
and would have contained quotes by Hecht or Hatsukami saying something like
"While our study found that e-cigarettes may be less hazardous than cigarettes, we need to conduct far more research before conclusions can be made. Until then, we need FDA regulation of these potentially addictive and hazardous products to protect children."
Of that, I have no doubt. However, the tone of this most recent workshop did seem to be leaning towards "maybe vaping isn't such a bad thing after all"

I know that's a long way from these scientists urging the FDA to rethink the deeming, but stranger things than vehement anti-smokers embracing harm reduction have happened.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Since those who have already been funded by DHHS to study and demonize e-cigs will get far more DHHS grants and contracts to conduct more studies and further demonize e-cigs (if FDA imposes the deeming regulation), don't expect any DHHS funding recipients to publicly oppose the deeming regulation (until after their DHHS grants and contracts expire in a decade).

Its a very rare person or institution that bites the hand that feeds them.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Since those who have already been funded by DHHS to study and demonize e-cigs will get far more DHHS grants and contracts to conduct more studies and further demonize e-cigs (if FDA imposes the deeming regulation), don't expect any DHHS funding recipients to publicly oppose the deeming regulation (until after their DHHS grants and contracts expire in a decade).

Its a very rare person or institution that bites the hand that feeds them.
Oh, I know. It's in my nature though to believe that at least some in the scientific community have morals. Maybe, just maybe, as the evidence mounts that their actions/inactions are contributing to the potential deaths of millions, they'll come around. I'll never stop believing that people CAN be good, while preparing for the inevitability that they are not.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Oh, I know. It's in my nature though to believe that at least some in the scientific community have morals. Maybe, just maybe, as the evidence mounts that their actions/inactions are contributing to the potential deaths of millions, they'll come around. I'll never stop believing that people CAN be good, while preparing for the inevitability that they are not.

They really don't care a whit about that, even if their actions contributed to the death of BILLIONS -- ALL they care about it MONEY. Period. Health means NOTHING to them.

Which is why we need to just get rid of them completely -- not only are they NOT doing their actual jobs, they're going completely OPPOSITE to their legal mandate... for MONEY. Paid-off, lying scumbags, the whole lot of them, and not only do they need to lose their jobs, THEY NEED TO GO TO JAIL.

Andria

Reactions: OCD

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
They really don't care a whit about that, even if their actions contributed to the death of BILLIONS -- ALL they care about it MONEY. Period. Health means NOTHING to them.

Which is why we need to just get rid of them completely -- not only are they NOT doing their actual jobs, they're going completely OPPOSITE to their legal mandate... for MONEY. Paid-off, lying scumbags, the whole lot of them, and not only do they need to lose their jobs, THEY NEED TO GO TO JAIL.

Andria
I didn't mean the FDA employees, or public health. I was referring solely to the "independent" scientists performing and publishing research. Though their track record isn't much better.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I didn't mean the FDA employees, or public health. I was referring solely to the "independent" scientists performing and publishing research. Though their track record isn't much better.

Scientists who cater to any agenda need to be stripped of everything -- degrees, jobs, money, and yes, freedom -- they need to go to jail too, for perverting science to some fat cats' agenda.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Scientists who cater to any agenda need to be stripped of everything -- degrees, jobs, money, and yes, freedom -- they need to go to jail too, for perverting science to some fat cats' agenda.
At the very least such actions should be considered fraud.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
At the very least such actions should be considered fraud.

Yep -- and that's a crime, for which they should be JAILED. And considering the stakes in this particular matter, they should also be prosecuted for crimes against humanity.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Many people lie, cheat, and steal every day, in every profession.

It's worse when it's "science" though.
And it sucks even more when they seem to have no accountability.

And they promote a false 'consensus' to make it look like 'everybody agrees' - when that's not the case as we have seen here - it applies elsewhere too. Consensus is opposite science. That is not to say that peer review is useless - but it is when some are ignored by peers and esp. when those peers go after the jobs and tenure of those not in the 'consensus'. :facepalm: That is an assurance that no science has occurred.

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
The problem is that they all have mortgages, and want a new BMW too.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
And they promote a false 'consensus' to make it look like 'everybody agrees' - when that's not the case as we have seen here - it applies elsewhere too. Consensus is opposite science. That is not to say that peer review is useless - but it is when some are ignored by peers and esp. when those peers go after the jobs and tenure of those not in the 'consensus'. :facepalm: That is a assurance that no science has occurred.
That sounds like racketeering to me.
I might have to do some research on when the RICO act applies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Maybe if they would just be satisfied with a Pontiac Vibe like the one I drive...

Or a Chevy Silverado... great trucks, without requiring the nat'l debt!

Or, since they're such public health nannies... LET THEM WALK!

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread