Hello all, intrduction and a question please

Status
Not open for further replies.

polz

Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
CARDIFF UK
Hi, been lurking round the forums,and not yet posted so here goes

been vaping (I love that word) since the 9th of last month, well over a month now YAYme, and was one of the lucky ones- first vape and managed to drop the analogues right off - I literally had my last ciggy whilst opening the package containing my ecig - and I'm loving every minute of it

however, I've yet to save (cash wise) or even break even as I've been spending on lots of nice goodies for myself and my new 'hobby', but what I HAVE been spending is far less grudged than what I spent on the evil weed

OK my question, I ordered one of those EGO 1100mAh battery/passthrough thingys and then read this thread and also this one. I'm a little worried now. Won't I be able to just plug it into my PC and use it whilst it's charging? or do I need to do things differently?

thanks all for listening

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
I Think it's a safety precaution so your computer won't go up in smoke. (it has happened) They have USB chargers, just plug it into the wall and use your PT that way. I think they run about 8 dollars. You may already have one if you've been vaping a while. It's the standard charger for an eGo. Good luck!

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hello & welcome Polz :D

As the eGo passthru has a built in battery, you shouldn't have any problems plugging it into your PC, as the volts of the battery will determine how much power is drawn from the USB port.

However, if you want a passthru that can be used at a higher voltage, then you would need one without an in line battey like the e-cig city one from Liberty flights -

E-Cig City Mods - E-CigCity Passthrough

And use it with a mains powered USB hub like this -

7 Port USB 2.0 HUB+External UK AC 3A Power Adapter PSU | eBay

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I think if it has an inline real battery (so you can unplug it and walk around), then supposedly they are just charging the battery while you vape off the battery. You may even need to let it charge a bit first before you can vape. SUPPOSEDLY those are OK on a PC's USB

If you buy a normal passthrough that only has a fake battery-looking piece to hold and is truely vaping off USB power, then NO, you should not use those on a PC's USB. A PC's USB is only specced to provide 500mA of power. A PT may need over 1 amp (over 1000mA) of power so you can damage a PC. These also should not be used on a battery charger's AC to USB because those offer 500mA or less.

I use these. You can EITHER any PT off it OR charge up to 4 batteries on it. (don't do both because the 2000mA of power is shared and you don't want the charging power to fluctuate as you drag). These are very handy.

These is also a more international version the Rosewill 6181 that comes with lots of plugs. Check Amazon UK for the same thing or the RUC6181.
Amazon.com: Rosewill USB Travel Charger Adapter RUC-6180: Electronics

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Like mentioned by the very helpful people above.... it's just a trickle charge to the battery. It's OK to plug it into a computer USB for now. As a precaution, get the AC USB adapter so you don't A) tie up a USB port, B) have a malfunction, frayed wires, etc and short the port out. PT's get a lot of movement and constant use. So get the adapter, but use the computer for now.

The main concern is with 5 volt PTs... they draw too many amps for the port since they don't have a battery (a "direct PT", a passthrough in the true meaning of the term). Yours has a 3.x volt battery and only draws <= 1/2 amp.

EDIT: P.S.

1) Welcome to ECF
2) Yay you. :)

Last edited:
Hello & welcome Polz :D

As the eGo passthru has a built in battery, you shouldn't have any problems plugging it into your PC, as the volts of the battery will determine how much power is drawn from the USB port.

However, if you want a passthru that can be used at a higher voltage, then you would need one without an in line battey like the e-cig city one from Liberty flights -

E-Cig City Mods - E-CigCity Passthrough

And use it with a mains powered USB hub like this -

7 Port USB 2.0 HUB+External UK AC 3A Power Adapter PSU | eBay

Unrelated question: is it possible to click somewhere to see the prices in US Dollars $?? I'm a lazy American.

polz

Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
CARDIFF UK
Thank you all for your replies and welcomes, I feel better now and can look forward to using my lovely new battery when it arrives, I will look into getting a powered USB port - would be handy anyway

higher voltages and the likes can wait a bit I'm sure I'll get there eventually, for now I'm enjoying vaping and the learning curve, but most of all no smoke and pssssst my morning cough has all but gone!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread