Hello everyone; newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
Arizona
Glad you are taking your time. Sometimes sales are just best when you already know what you want, and there are/will likely be more holidays to come and etc. But, I think it's good thinking on your part! :)

Anna

Yeah.... The things people linked to yesterday had reviews that led me to other things...and then I watched a couple of youtube videos that made me think I should spend a bit more time agonizing thinking before committing.

I just want to make sure I'm going to end up with a system that is reliable, and that I like well enough to stick with it.

I'm still -and may always be- just one serious malfunction away from being back to smoking, so that is my first consideration. But.... I enjoyed smoking and want to be sure I will enjoy vaping as much as possible, too.

I do want to be sure to say "thank-you" again to everyone here for all the help so far. I'm sure I will have many more questions, as I realize I still have a lot to learn. :)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Take your time and read as many reviews as you can.

And it may take a few different tanks and/or mods to get to a setup you enjoy using. For me it was part of the journey - and 4 months down I'm still looking and learning.

Lots of people here have tried out different devices - so its a good way to learn what doesn't work and why it doesn't work - just because a mod looks shiny and has a touch screen etc doesn't make up for it not working if its knocked on its side ;) Or that tank that leaks if you look at it funny.

You've got some good options above to go thru - good luck with making a decision :)

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
    Arizona
    Definitely enjoy trying out different mods from other capers , you’ll get a sense of taste between ergonomics, aesthetics, or utilization of each unique piece.

Yeah.... One of the reasons I'm being so cautious is that I just can't afford to buy a bunch of different stuff to find what I like best.

I have to buy something I'm confident will work long term; then if I'm able to buy something else for myself in the future, great; but if not I need to be able to rely on what I have.

I really do like the little Tesla box mod...and so far most of the reviews I've seen have been great. But, I'm not entirely "sold" and keep finding myself hesitating.

-I still feel a bit intimidated by the technical aspects of batteries, chargers, tanks, etc. Every time I feel like I'm beginning to understand, I come across another curveball.
    -It's a "sub ohm" device, which is a bit intimidating to me right now.
    -I keep seeing reviewers on youtube spewing out huge clouds of vapor, which is off-putting to me -moreso every time I see it. I'm not sure why; but somehow the idea of filling half the house with a huge cloud just doesn't appeal (maybe a few too many memories of being trapped in a car with the windows rolled up while someone smoked).
    -I don't like the weird little lights. It has nothing to do with steampunk, and I wish they had used that opportunity to add real functionality -or at least make the gears turn or something more on trend. But; I realize they are manufacturers of vaping devices and the aesthetics are an afterthought, so I'll keep that objection at the very bottom of the heap.

Yes; I overthink everything. Always have. I'm too old to change now.

SomethingElse

May 8, 2018
    30 mi. WSW of CLE
    Hi DLMerlin,
    I'm pretty "new" in this forum but have been attempting to quit smoking cigarettes since I first tried vaping 5 years ago and I hope/think I can provide some perspective that, perhaps, hasn't previously been made "clear" directly. (Note, I've been smoking since the fall of 1970 at an "average" of a pack per day.) In 2013, I came to vaping by trying cigalike products from White Cloud and, after a couple of weeks of incomplete satisfaction, "switching" to similar devices/setups from Halo, i.e. the G6 batteries and accessories. (Note, both of those "systems" are similar to "your" Volt.) I had some success with those for a few months, much like where you seem to be. However, things happened, stress-levels went way up and I went back to analogs. About a year ago, I noticed a new vape-shop in a strip-mall where the wife and I sometimes shop and I decided to stop in. I "allowed myself" to be "talked into" purchasing a SMOK Qbox. The one I was allowed to try in the store seemed like it might be "the trick" but the one they sent me home with "had problems." However, being completely ignorant of such devices at the time, I was unaware that the device itself was a lemon and finding that out is a whole 'nother story and I digress. From there, and again really wanting to ditch cancer-sticks, I explored a few more options and did A LOT more reading and watching videos online. Based on that, I acquired a Vaporesso Tarot Nano which seemed to be "the next big thing" (in getting me off analogs) and I bought a 2nd one, along with a few boxes of replacement coils. I was using some "old" juices from my G6 days as well as some new ones from various vendors, various flavors and nicotine-levels. The flavors and "clouds" were, for "a while," just what I "believed" I was looking for. Then I started having problems with coils and I found coil-replacement to be a hassle. This rapidly became more "work" than I was looking for and a lot of the juices I tried, when everything was working, were not flavors I could abide often, let alone all day, every day. Then, about 6 weeks ago, I clicked on my bookmark for this site, I have NO idea why. Happily, I found a wealth of information I hadn't been even remotely aware of before. I read comments and "stories" from people who sounded like they had had the same "problem(s)" I had experienced, i.e. less than satisfied with vaping, regardless of nicotine levels or flavor of juice. These were in the threads about WTA, Whole Tobacco Alkaloids, and discussions about NET, Naturally Extracted Tobacco. To wrap-up this TL;DR comment, I decided "cloud-chasing" isn't me, I'd be more "content" with MTL devices using NET with WTA. So, I'm 1 week into using a Vaporesso Nexus loaded with Black Note's Prelude (6mg/ml, 50%VG) "cut" with DVAP DIY WTA (24mg/ml, 100%VG) from Aroma eJuice and am the most satisfied I've ever been with vaping. I have yet to completely quit analogs but that count is decreasing on a daily basis. If you need/want to know more, don't hesitate to use the search box or just ask.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
    Arizona
    :(

I first posted this topic on the 4th, after having ordered new batteries via Priority Mail.

They arrived on the 6th, and I figured I could take my time to order a new setup that would last longer and work out better.

Today, one of the new ones is already dead, and will not hold a charge.

That is ridiculous, and as much as I feel I could've been happy with it, I clearly can't trust this system I'm using.

Like a bad relationship, it's time to find a new path and let this one go. I'm thankful I was able to use it to quit smoking, but if I want to stay quitted -and I do- I need to move on ASAP.

(sigh)

I hate being pressured. :(

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

SomethingElse

May 8, 2018
    30 mi. WSW of CLE
    You are quite welcome, @DLMerlin! :thumb: After I posted it I was a little worried that it was too long and a bit irrelevant. As many comments note in the WTA threads, if nicotine-only ejuice "works" for you, there's absolutely no reason to try WTA juice. When I first started vaping, I didn't really like some of the tobacco-like flavors I tried and really thought that I wanted to "get away from" that taste. While I did find some non-tobacco-like flavors I enjoyed tasting, they usually seemed too sweet and didn't "work" as an ADV. That was true when I used cigalikes AND my sub-ohm devices. Furthermore, try to not be "intimated" by all the options and just take your time to research the devices and juices that interest you, which you seem to be already doing. Alas, you should realize that you will probably spend more money over the first few months than you'd expected/wanted to find your "long-term" (relatively speaking) preferences. At least, that has been my experience and I'm sure that of more than a few members of this forum. Regarding your last comment about the quickly dead battery, you should be aware that that's not an "uncommon" occurrence, either. However, if you work with a reputable/highly-rated/regarded vendor, online or otherwise, they'll usually try to "make things right," though it may be a "bit" of a hassle via email/phone. As I'm sure you're aware, perseverance is the key.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
    Arizona
    Oh, I'm sure they will replace the battery -and probably give me a discount or something for the future. It's just annoying, and leaves no doubt this is an iffy situation that will fail often enough to keep my fears of being without uppermost in my mind.

So far as flavors, I've only tried 5? so far, but have liked all of them. All things being equal, I'd rather spend $$ trying new flavors than on hardware, but realize there will probably always be stuff in my wish list (weird, as when I smoked, I never considered putting cigarettes or ashtrays or fancy lighters on a wish list), but it hope it will almost always be just stuff I would enjoy having, not stuff I feel like I must buy to prevent relapse.

SomethingElse

May 8, 2018
    30 mi. WSW of CLE
    ... It's just annoying, and leaves no doubt this is an iffy situation that will fail often enough to keep my fears of being without uppermost in my mind.
    ... All things being equal, I'd rather spend $$ trying new flavors than on hardware, but realize there will probably always be stuff in my wish list (weird, as when I smoked, I never considered putting cigarettes or ashtrays or fancy lighters on a wish list), but it hope it will almost always be just stuff I would enjoy having, not stuff I feel like I must buy to prevent relapse.

An "iffy" situation, indeed, especially considering that vape-gear manufacturers seem to be releasing something "new" every time you turn around with more and more device makers popping up, too. Nonetheless, to remove that "fear" of being without, as has been mentioned before, it's prudent to have at least a couple "backups." In case it didn't occur to you, I would also advise "testing" any device obtained for "backup" as soon as you get it. Moreover, since most batteries, regardless of shape/size/capacity/internal/external/whatever are typically "rated" for X-number of "charge cycles" (but good-luck finding that info), you might get better longevity by "rotating" between batteries/devices and throw a new one into the mix a "few" times per year, depending.
    When I wasn't trying to quit smoking, every so often I liked to try some "imported" cigarettes, I really liked the Export A and Dunhill smokes but they were SO expensive compared to U.S. brands. Over the years, I also tried a few "fancy" lighters (think Colibri) but those ALWAYS became a disappointment rather rapidly. I find it quite amazing and amusing the lengths vendors and admen go to in order to manipulate the consumers, with some being more easily manipulated than others. Always have to keep our "guard" up and read the fine print. :censored:

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
    Arizona
    Good points, all @SomethingElse

I used to occasionally try "exotic" cigarettes and such, but it was always a gamble, and I was disappointed often enough that it never became a habit.

So far, with vaping, the reverse seems to be true so far; at least with regards to different flavors. It's spooking me a little bit, as I could easily see myself hoarding hundreds of bottles of stuff, and enough hardware to open my own shop -as if I don't have enough hobbies. I just keep telling myself "I'd rather buy art supplies" or "I'd rather spend the money on _whatever______". But, it's also rather exciting to learn new things and be reminded that no matter how old we are there will always be something we know nothing about, and there are always new things under the sun. :)

SomethingElse

May 8, 2018
    30 mi. WSW of CLE
    @DLMerlin, please don't be "spooked" and my apology if what I've wrote has contributed to your angst, such was not my intent. "Vaping" is "all new" coming off of analogs and, as alluded earlier, the manufacturers, distributors and admen don't make it "easy," and that might go double for SOME reviewers who appear to be "paid" shills (not on ECF :hubba:, most threads) or just too ignorant or too quick to post a review (on distributor sites).
    Full disclosure, in the early summer of 2013 I acquired 3 or 4 rechargeable cigalike batteries + prefilled cartridges and more-than-a-few disposable ecigs from White Cloud. After a couple of weeks I decided I wasn't really happy with those and simultaneous research led me to Halo. From there I acquired 4 or 5 cigalike batteries (1 with a "fire-button") and more than a couple dozen refillable "cartomizers." As I mentioned(?) previously, these and at least a dozen different juices got my analog intake down to <5/day in relatively short order and I maintained that for about 4 months until "stuff happened" and my stress-level went way up and I reverted to real tobacco. About a year ago, I was talked into a SMOK Qbox in a B&M (brick-n-mortar) and it took nearly a week, visiting different locations, to find out I'd gotten a defective unit (wouldn't consistently register resistance levels and ensuing problems). It took another week to 10 days before the "alternate store" made good on a replacement. Still, the Qbox left more than a little to be desired. After that, from A LOT of reading online, some of it on this forum (as a NON-member), I decided to "stick with" online vendors. I read a lot of positive comments about the Tarot Nano (I didn't want to spend "too much" $$$) so bought 1. I was pretty "happy" with it for about a week except when my exhaled cloud "blocked" the TV!! Nonetheless, I was "content" enough to buy a 2nd Nano, a couple more tanks and a few boxes of coils (re:backup). Then came the time for my first coil-change on the 1st one and a tryout of the 2nd. As "luck" would have it, 2 faulty coils and much more "work" than I wanted. Analogs are SO MUCH EASIER, part of their "allure." I persevered for a few more weeks through some "good" coils and some bad, ALWAYS was too much work, and still wasn't getting "complete" satisfaction. So, after about 8-9 months back on analogs, I made that "fateful" click on my ECF bookmark (~3 wks ago) and "learned" MORE about MTL vaping and, more importantly, learned about NET flavors and WTA. So far, with my Nexus (MTL) and a NET from Black Note and WTA from Aroma, I feel that I'm finally getting some satisfaction from vaping... BUT, I still have more to learn and experiment with different combos. My 65% VG mix at about 9 mg/ml nic seemed a bit "weak" but my 70% VG at about 12 mg/ml nic seems a bit "strong" and I sometimes get a bit of a headache. However, in both cases the flavor is GREAT (not too dissimilar from the Camels) and while the exhaled cloud is bigger than that from an analog, it's a LOT smaller than what I got/produced from the Tarot Nano. I guess you could compare vaping to life/living, there's no "user manual" and one-size most certainly doesn't fit all. It's a "process" where perseverance is key or, put yet another way, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Hang in there.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
    Arizona
    Well, all, I pushed the button on an order. I bought the Tesla 85w Punk in copper, two of the Innokin Zenith tanks, a package of the high resistance coils (just one, because I might favor the other, who knows?), and the Efest 4 bay charger.

I still have to buy batteries, but will get them from Orbtronics.com.

(sigh)

I feel a bit down, as I didn't want to spend so much money, but I hope I made good choices and it will last me a very long time. I would've preferred to buy a few new flavors and a nice meal out somewhere, but I guess this is one of the ongoing consequences of my decision to start smoking in the first place.

Oh well...……. I'll probably feel better when it arrives, and I start opening the box. It's always fun to get new stuff, right?

I guess I'm mostly posting about it here to just say "Thanks" again to everyone who helped me navigate the ocean of products available.

I'll let you all know how I like it when it arrives. :)

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I hope you do like it! I had a two battery punk and loved everything about it except the weight and handfeel. I wound up selling it, but if I were to buy another punk, I would definitely get the single battery option, because it was a great mod honestly, I just have small hands. The zenith is great, you won't be disappointed (I highly doubt).

Anna

Reactions: DLMerlin

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
    Arizona
    The boxes arrived yesterday, and so far I'm tickled pink with this setup! I like the heft of the Tesla mod, the tank was easy to understand and fill, and although I did accidentally launch the space shuttle while playing with all the buttons (sorry 'bout that, really!), I think -after all that agonizing- my final choices were good ones. :)

I will try other things, of course.... But right now I'm not nearly as worried about a crises situation forcing me to air evac myself to a strange vape shop for emergency supplies. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread