Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Hi everybody and anybody. I've been on VU since the forum started and I stopped, smoking that is. Don't know my way around here yet. I'm wondering where is the best place to go to discuss atty and mod projects, both modifications and ground up creations. I see a modding section but it didn't seem so active, so I thought it might not be the place. Any recommendations?

Also I've heard tell of an "outsiders" social section where there are discussions open to all subjects. Haven't found that yet either.

Those two annoying noob questions out of the way, here's a recent Orchid modification. It's currently my favorite tank. If anyone's interested I'll be happy to go into detail.

Cheers!

IMAG0508_picmonkeyed (1).jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi everybody and anybody. I've been on VU since the forum started and I stopped, smoking that is. Don't know my way around here yet. I'm wondering where is the best place to go to discuss atty and mod projects, both modifications and ground up creations. I see a modding section but it didn't seem so active, so I thought it might not be the place. Any recommendations?

Hi TheWestPole and welcome to ECF from an occasional VU'er :). As Cullin Kin said, once you have 5 posts under your belt and ECF resets at I think 0:25 after the hour, you'll be able to post anywhere.

For modding, the modding sub-forum is the place to go. I don't hang out there much so I don't know how busy it is, but it's the best place here to talk about that.

Also I've heard tell of an "outsiders" social section where there are discussions open to all subjects. Haven't found that yet either.

'Outside!' can be reached here, but you will likely need 5 posts or more to be able to see it.

Those two annoying noob questions out of the way, here's a recent Orchid modification. It's currently my favorite tank. If anyone's interested I'll be happy to go into detail.

Cheers!

I don't have an Orchid, but I would be very interested in seeing what you've done with it. Show us more :thumb:

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Welcome to ECF!!!! That thing looks awesome! I would love to know what you did. One you get 5 posts and the system updates you will be able to access a lot more of the forum!

Hi @Cullin Kin. Thanks for the welcome.

This Orchid is all about big vapor and saturated flavor to match my reference dual coil dripper. Big vapor was easy: drill out the air holes to the maximum and fit an extra wide chimney. The flavor part was more of a challenge. For that I went for external juice flow control. The juice channels were opened way up and given a conical shape. The chimney/chamber was press fit together so it works like one piece, and the chimney extends through the top cap as a mouth piece. No 510 drip tip diameter to choke the vapor flow. You adjust the juice flow by unscrewing the chimney bit by bit until its just right. As it unscrews the juice channels get bigger because of the conical shape. More air, more juice, bigger denser vape. I can no longer tell the difference between this and my reference dripper.

My favorite ADV is a tank cracker and I only recently solved that problem with this atty. I invested in a tap to cut tank threads and 3' of food grade polycarbonate tubing to make custom tanks. I'm going on four weeks with no cracks developing. My previous tanks would start cracking in under a week. The two top pictures show Taifun GT tanks; the bottom is the custom food grade PC. That's big deal for me, because this style of atty requires a threaded tank to hold things together.

TMI? :D

P2190015 edit (2).jpg
IMAG0418_picmonkeyed (1) (1).jpg
IMAG0426_picmonkeyed (1).jpg
IMAG0508_picmonkeyed (1).jpg

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Hi TheWestPole and welcome to ECF from an occasional VU'er :). As Cullin Kin said, once you have 5 posts under your belt and ECF resets at I think 0:25 after the hour, you'll be able to post anywhere.

For modding, the modding sub-forum is the place to go. I don't hang out there much so I don't know how busy it is, but it's the best place here to talk about that.

'Outside!' can be reached here, but you will likely need 5 posts or more to be able to see it.

I don't have an Orchid, but I would be very interested in seeing what you've done with it. Show us more :thumb:

Many thanks @Ryedan. I will go back to the modding sub-forum and spend more time going through it. The other I'll get to soon enough. :unsure:

Reactions: Ryedan

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Hello and welcome, nice set up, impressive mod work very clean.

Thank you. That's not a ground up mod but a $20 cheapie I did a remodel on to see if I could make it good: all new electrical components, spring loaded 510 and a reworked shape, etc. Surprisingly one of my favorites now. o_O

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Very nice TheWestPole and not at all TMI :)

I really like the conical juice channels and I've not seen that in any other attys. Great idea!

Thanks. Yeah, besides the JFC, they're good for giving a bigger portion of the wick ends direct contact with with the juice . Kinda fussy to do though. Got it down to about a half hour at this point.

BTW, I use this avi name so people will recognize me from elsewhere. It's stupid long. Please feel free to call me Pole or Tim.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Hi Tim, Welcome to ECF! Nice work! Are you a mechinist?

Hi, Winchester, thanks. No, no mill or lathe, mostly general purpose stuff at one end of the garage. :) My occupation is all head and mouth. Giving my hands a few projects keeps me sane(ish).

Last edited:
Reactions: tvapernow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread