Hello! Help! (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there everyone,

I just joined this forum but I am not an e-smoker/vap'r (what is it called?). I am considering it and I've read through some of the threads and looked at some of the pictures. I would like some advice and I'm thankful that the people here seem really sincere and helpful. I don't trust asking salespeople or companies that sell the products. Users are always the best place to start in my opinion. I had no idea there were so many suppliers or variations of e-cigarettes. Now I'm nervous to purchase them. There is a lot of good advice on this forum...but a lot of it goes over my head because I'm so new to the subject.

Okay, to the point. My situation is this. I love the act of smoking. I am addicted to it as well. If I don't smoke, it feels like my skin is going to peel off on its own. A few months back, I tried the nicotine gum and it worked well for me - except I missed the act of smoking and the gum is expensive for me. Not that cigarettes aren't. I live in Michigan where the cost of cigarettes is astronomical - the cheapest pack I can find in my brand (Marlboro Menthol Milds) is $5.94. Typically, the average price of my brand is around $6.35/pack. However, I am poor - poverty stricken really. Coming up with $6 or so for a pack of cigarettes is much easier for me than coming up with $60 for a box of gum.

The other thing is this: I chewed the gum for about 5 days because I was having trouble breathing and was determined to quit smoking cigarettes. After a few days of chewing gum, I was able to breathe very well again and I immediately went back to smoking - but I smoked a lot more! The gum was apparently delivering more nicotine to me than smoking was! But I don't really care about that. To be honest, I was going to just switch to chewing gum instead of smoking rather than actually quit because I like nicotine as much as I like caffeine (with my disorders, stimulants make me feel normal; ironically blood pressure is not an issue for me). In addition, I think I might have cracked a tooth from clenching my jaws so much - a subconscious reaction to not smoking. I'm a natural jaw clencher anyway and I would find myself clenching the gum and practically sucking on it lol. I went from smoking 10 - 15 cigarettes a day to a full pack or more and it made me feel like crap - much more than taking in extra nicotine from gum. After a couple of months, I got it back under control. I am back to smoking 12 - 16 cigs a day now.

Geez, I'm trying not to make this too long but it's hard!

Okay, I NEED to quit smoking this poison! But I don't WANT to quit smoking! So e-cigarettes seem like a dream come true. But I'm afraid of the whole, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is philosophy. I need to quit smoking for 2 reasons - my health and my finances. I have been unemployed for a year and a half and my unemployment checks are about to run out. I actually just received what will probably be my last check. Finding employment in Michigan, especially outside of the Detroit area, is like finding a needle in a haystack. So I need to cut costs as much as possible because even though I have 4 college degrees, I will probably end up working at McDonalds in the near future.

As far as my health goes, I have an endocrine disorder that has spiraled into another endocrine disorder that spiraled into another one and is on the verge of spiraling into Diabetes. Cigarettes increase insulin resistance so it is imperative that I quit. When I was first diagnosed with the original disorder (PCOS), I was told that I should quit smoking. At that time, I was only smoking 8 - 10 cigarettes a day and I quit cold turkey, thinking that would be the best way. It was a disaster! The resulting chemical changes in my body coupled with the existing hormone imbalance caused me to gain 100 pounds in around 7 months. I have lost up to 60 pounds of this weight at a time but stress causes massive and fast weight gain for me (from adrenal fatigue, which cigarettes also increase, sigh). The stress of being unable to find work, the loss of my health insurance and inability to afford my treatments have brought me right back to within 20 pounds of my highest weight. Healthwise, I can't afford to gain 100 pounds again right now! The inflammation caused by my endocrine system malfunctions also causes me a lot of pain and from what I've read cigarettes increase inflammation as well. I experienced a decrease in pain when I was chewing the gum (except in my jaw, lol). I am also beginning to experience chest pain, but I think that is mostly due to nerve damage in my spine/neck...or I'm in denial. Either way, it's not good!

So, that is the background. Thank you for reading this far! I have one shot at buying a good e-cigarette because I'm on my last unemployment check. If I get it wrong, I'm not going to be able to keep buying starter kits til I find the right one. I guess I'm probably considered a light to medium smoker, although I do like the feeling of smoke hitting my throat. I'm not particularly fond of the taste and smell of tobacco though. I'm not concerned about the flavor at this point even though I don't want a flavor that's going to make me gag...I was thinking chocolate would be cool since I'm a chocolate addict and I'm also struggling with the directive of NO SUGAR. Sugar free chocolate is just....wrong. I know chocolate juice won't replace real chocolate but it might help reduce cravings for real chocolate the way nicotine reduces cravings for real cigarettes, right?

I want to get an e-cigarette that has the look and feel of a real cigarette. It can be a different color but the size and shape of it is important to me. I went to the site of what appears to be a highly recommended supplier on this forum, but I didn't see anything that had the size and shape of a real cigarette. They all looked like these strange contraptions that I would be embarrassed to use in public. Also, one of the main things I miss when I try to quit is holding and hitting a cigarette. I saw one called The Atom on a site called Liberation and that's the type of unit I'm thinking I would like. But I wasn't impressed with customer feedback on that site.

Okay, so size, shape, and quality/durability... Which units/suppliers are the most reputable? I think I can figure out the dosage on my own with the help of existing threads on this forum. I welcome recommendations for good tasting flavors though! Mostly I would like to know - is the cost really that drastically different or would I be better off with the gum cost wise? And, I can tell that people notice a difference in their health and how they feel when they switch to vaping but is it that big of a difference? Do you think I'm a good fit for e-cigarettes based on my history? I realize I will have to let go of the addiction of the chemicals in cigarettes and the reduction of carbon monoxide in my system will still cause my endocrine chemical/hormone imbalance to be disrupted. I'm just hopeful that it won't spin out of control if I have less stress with quitting because of the comfort of feeling like I'm smoking with the e-cigarette and because of the nicotine replacement. I do not intend to quit using nicotine ever, unless it becomes apparent that it is causing a lot of harm to my body, the way it is apparent that the smoke from cigarettes is causing a lot of harm to my body.

Another reason the size and shape is important to me is that I live in Michigan. I'm already considered eccentric here, lol. I am also a fairly introverted person and I don't want a bunch of people walking up to me and talking to me about what it is I'm smoking. I'd like something people will assume is a cigarette unless they are within close range of me, which means I know them and would welcome speaking to them. I'm sorry if that seems stuck up. I'm really not stuck up, I swear! So, can you help me out with your opinions?

Thanks!

~Pandora

harsl

Sep 3, 2009
Oregon
Hey Pandora, and welcome! I also have PCOS, and have been an e-cig owner since Sat. As far as drawbacks from the act of not smoking, I haven't had any, my nic amount was off at first, but got that straighten out by using my moms higher mgs.
I personally went through electronicstix.com -and so has everyone else I know- We have all had great dealings with Jason. I have the Joye 510. It's roughly the diameter of a Camel wide, a little longer though. It hits well, has great battery life, and I have had great sucsess with it. it has drawbacks as well, it looks more like a fancy pen, and is a lil different to hit...I sometimes feel like a crack addict the way I hold it. But all in all, I wouldn't give mine up for nuthin'.
As far as the juice, I get mine from the same place, The menthol taste more like a nice mint- which I don't mind- but the chocolate doesn't remind me of a hershey bar either...but it doesn't taste bad, just different. The 2 flavors a awesome mixed though! Think mint choco chip ice-cream!
But keep doing research and find whats right for you, but I can garantee you won't regret your decision! After startup costs your upkeep will be 1/3 of the cost of ciggs or more!
Good luck!

vapordad

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Oak Park, IL -- USA
Harsl, I agree with your post. I don't know about the flavors you speak, as I have mostly stuck with tobacco like flavors. Actually, Rich by EcoPure is pretty good, kinda sweet. The 510 seems to mute flavors, though, and honestly, I'd be fine with flavorless. A bad flavor is worse than none in my opinion. EcoPure makes those, too. I like the EcoPure, as it doesn't have that after flavor of all the chinese based ones, but there are some other liquids out there that are good, too. E Liquid Planet has some great flavors, and VG choices, as well.

Anyway, since cost is a factor, I think the cheapest Joye 510 supplier I have found (with GREAT customer service) is definitely www.cignot.com

Vicky and Terri really stand behind the products, delivery is quick, and a starter set with 2 full e-cigs and a charger is $35. add some EcoPure (and Vicky usually will throw in a freebie flavor of her own.

Let her know I sent you, and requested you get an extra flavor....she'll get a kick out of it. If you get above $40, delivery is free, otherwise, its $5.

Good luck. I think it better than the gum.

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
First, I would like to address your increase in smoking after the nicotine gum. This was not likely caused by the amount of nicotine in the gum but rather your brain's physiology and how it reacts on a "reward" system of fulfilling an addiction. Most people who quit in any fashion find that they smoke more when returning to the habit.

Secondly, don't be so nervous. Switching to e-cigs is the easiest way to stop smoking you have (or ever will) encounter. You still get your nicotine and you still get to satisfy that "smoking" action. You aren't losing an addiction you are just becoming healthier and safer.

As for weight gain I can only speak from my own experiences, but I have lost weight since switching to e-cigs. I have more lung capacity and more energy. As a result of those basic changes I feel more inclined to exercise and I don't eat as much. I have been monitoring this anomaly and so far I have dropped 15 pounds. I don't claim these things make you lose weight! I'm just reporting what has happened to me. My mother hasn't dropped a pound, nor has she gained since using e-cigs.

Don't go for an e-cig that "looks" like a cigarette! You'll find that other models do a better job and as you're getting your nicotine you'll find this isn't as necessary as you think it will be. Grab up a "sturdy" e-ciggy. I suggest a manual switch 510 (starter kits are around 35-40 bucks). The manual switch has a much smaller learning curve when you are just getting into e-cigarettes and re-learning how to inhale. Plus, models that "look" like an analog usually don't feel like an analog when you inhale. For me the 510 is the closest thing to an analog that I have found though my mother swears by her 901.

SudokuGal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
USA-Florida
I thought I saw something on another thread that cignot was out of stock on the 510, so I checked the website...and it does look like they're out. From what I recall, the other place so many always recommend is Rocky Mountain Vapers (JOYE510)

Pandora, I have an automatic e-cig that looks like the real thing (I do still use it) but I do get much better performance out of my 510 manual (you press the little button, which only takes a little time to adjust to). In other words, I'm a convert to the "stay away from the things that look the most like the real thing. Do know that you will need the PCC (personal power charger) for the 510 if you go with it (a battery's charge doesn't last too long).

I'm sure someone who has had experience with some automatics will post here too, so don't make up your mind right away.

Best wishes!!

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
If the chocolate liquid isn't chocolatey enough for you (it isn't for me) you can pick up some chocolate flavor and add to it. I make nic liquid more cost effective by buying higher strength than I want to use, getting some flavor drops (the chocolate Tasty Puffs are very good and cost about $3 at any head shop), and some glycerin ($4 for 6 oz at Walmart) and then mix it down to the strength I want and add flavor to get to the flavor I want. Excuse the horrible run on sentence :). It's definitely cheaper than smoking or the gum to use the e-cig and it satisfies the hand to mouth instinct that is so important to smokers. Good luck with this new adventure and keep us updated to let us know how you're doing. We love to hear success stories and welcome any questions.

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
I thought I saw something on another thread that cignot was out of stock on the 510, so I checked the website...and it does look like they're out. From what I recall, the other place so many always recommend is Rocky Mountain Vapers (JOYE510)

That was probably my post SudokuGal but we found another seller offering the same deal eVapor has them for 35 bucks in all the colors.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I swear I'm just going to save this and copy/paste on all newb threads, LOL!

First off, welcome!

Secondly, what to get and where for a noob:

Joye 510 starter kit with manual batteries
PCC (Personal Charger Case)
Flavored liquids (in addition to a tobacco flavor to try)

Kits: Liberty Electronic Cigarettes (One-stop shopping. Free shipping. Customizable kits. Kit includes 2 batteries (black or white/auto or manual/orange or blue LED) to mix & match , 2 atties, pre-stuffed carts & extra filler, choice of USB or A/C charger. $49.95. Site has all the add ons/extras you'll want/need. Liquids are decent.) PCC kit includes color choice, extra battery, atty and carts $36 on sale now. Or get just the PCC for $24.

Liquid: Nhaler (Order over $100, free shipping. Worth the $10 shipping otherwise. Larger bottles (30ml). Great flavors with great vapor.)

Last edited:

BlondieLocs

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2009
Calgary, AB Canada
Keeping in mind that everyone's experiences are different, and YMMV... if I were you I'd lead more towards the M401 model or the Sidesho.

I was like you when I decided to switch to e-cigs. I LOVE smoking, but knew I needed to quit the nasty stuff. The nicotine gum didn't do squat for the tactile feel of smoking, and I was quite frankly, a ..... when using it. I wanted something that mimicked the act of smoking. I didn't think I would actually quit by using the e-cig alone, but was hoping to use it to wean myself off cigarettes. I was, however, pleasantly surprised. After day one I couldn't stomach even the taste of an analog.

Having said all that, the look and feel of the e-cig I chose was very important to me. I wanted something that looked, felt, and smoked like a real cigarette. I didn't want something that looked like I was sucking on a personal massager or a screwdriver - though I own both, and they do have their places, it is not in my mouth. (Shut up, guys.) I didn't want something that I had to push a button on (and yes, I am fully aware of the advantages of manual batteries for those of you who sing their praises). I didn't want something that attached to my computer, or needed a briefcase to carry.

After much (and I mean MUCH - and not just on this forum either, I might add) research on the different models and vendors, I ended up choosing the Dragon M401 model from TrueSmoker.com. It feels almost identical to a cigarette, albeit a little bit heavier and longer, but not noticeably so - it, unlike some other models, is balanced in a way that it can be held like a regular cigarette. (I used to smoke 100s.) It smokes just like my old faithfuls - I did take long, slow drags on analogs also, so there was ZERO learning curve on this for me.

I went with the Dragon because I liked the looks of it, the price was reasonable, and the reviews on TrueSmoker were great. I also spent about a half hour on the phone with JD of TrueSmoker and he helped me pick out juices, etc. Not to mention his shipping is ridiculously fast - I ordered it late Wednesday and it was in my mailbox before I even woke on Friday.

If you want something that looks even more like a cigarette check out the M401 models from LiteCig or the Sidesho from ModernVapor. There are other vendors for the M401 as well, but from the reviews I read of the vendors LiteCig and TrueSmoker would be the two I personally would go with.

My understanding of the M401 models from both TrueSmoker and LiteCig is that they are the upgraded models - better batteries, longer cutoff time (I still have not been able to get my battery to cut off, btw.)

The Sidesho from ModernVapor is a J108 - very similar to the M401 with a few differences (larger carts, comes with PCC, apparently an easier draw - although that has never been an issue for me anyway).

As far as cost goes, I spent $80 on my first order with TrueSmoker. I bought the starter kit, an extra atomizer and two bottles of juice. So far that has lasted me two weeks (as of tomorrow afternoon) and I'm not finished with the juice yet. After that, I'm looking at around $10-20 a week for juice and extra accessories, if needed. And I believe I'm being generous. I also smoked double what you did, however.

I'm currently looking at buying another e-cig (because I like my toys), and after my experiences with the Dragon, I'm sticking with something similar. Likely another M401 model in a different color (Where is that Phoenix anyway???) or the Sidesho. Maybe a manual battery, just because.

There's my 2 cents. If you want something that looks and smokes like a cigarette, go for it. You'll be happy you did.

vapordad

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Oak Park, IL -- USA
Update from cignot is that they will have the no box $35 deal back tomorrow. That said, I think you are getting a lot of advice here, and folks are telling you about their suppliers because they have gotten good products and good customer service from them. Your decision is not an easy one.

I have heard that if you only had one chance to buy the correct PV, to go with the Screwdriver, but I didn't mention it before because of your desire to have something that looks like a cig. The 510 can look like a cig if you get it in white, but I will let you know I got the Red Dragon first, and although it was okay, it didn't last very long, and was pretty expensive, albeit, it looked just like a cigarette.

good luck. I hope we are assisting.

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
Pandora, please check your PM box. One of the vendors here is willing to give you a free start up kit to get you going....

Please post a reply on the New Members forum to let Pandora know that you have bagged her a kit - I cannot post on that forum as a supplier. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...help-long.html

If I could post I would say:
12 posts with the OP and several others contributing epics and not a bloody argument in sight! Intellicig will donate a kit for the longest noob post I've seen!!
JenJen will be gathering the address and making sure it gets there.
Cheers
John.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Pandora, please check your PM box. One of the vendors here is willing to give you a free start up kit to get you going....

Please post a reply on the New Members forum to let Pandora know that you have bagged her a kit - I cannot post on that forum as a supplier. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...help-long.html

If I could post I would say:
12 posts with the OP and several others contributing epics and not a bloody argument in sight! Intellicig will donate a kit for the longest noob post I've seen!!
JenJen will be gathering the address and making sure it gets there.
Cheers
John.

>

Just awesome, John. Although your offer wasn't in the open forum format, your offer to the noob serves as a quality piece of advertising given your generosity shown to someone in need.

I offer a tip of the cap to you, Sir -- and, your site will be bookmarked on this end.

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been here to check your answers. Thank you for the wonderful advice and I'm surprised and delighted that someone is willing to donate a starter kit to me. I appreciate your kindness so much. I am checking on the starter kit now and will keep everyone updated. Thanks again!

Love Pandora

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. I've sent my address to Jen Jen and John both lol. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to use the PM, lol. I hate being a noob! I'm off to read as much as I can on other threads. Now that I'm going to receive a free startup kit, I will have extra money to order some of those flavored juices. I defo wanna try the chocolate mint mixture out! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread