Hello.. I have some questions if it's okay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota Kelly

Aug 19, 2021
My Name is Dakota, Hi! So I'm kinda newish to vaping/e cigarettes, I have some friends who are using them to get off of cigarettes and I myself am also about to switch, but due to the pricing where I live it's just made me think about some questions, and I've already asked my friends but I think I needed to ask a lot more people. I couldn't find any statics or anything, so I thought I would just ask my future friends here. I'm not trying to sell anything, I just want to try and get some answers that is more than just a co worker and a roommate.
So here it goes.

How many 'hits' are you doing in an hour or in a day ? and also if it has nicotine and if you feel comfortable saying, what level of nicotine you have (if you do) ?

I know that obviously the nicotine levels will be different from person to person.
I am not entirely sure if this will just be removed, so my apologies to the mods. I'm not trying to sell anything, Im just generally just trying to work out what to expect for myself.

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
Hi DK, and welcome to ECF.

When it comes to vaping, you are quite accurate in stating that its different from person to person.

How often, how much and what strength to go with starting out will most likely depend on your current smoking habit.

I average about 15ml of e-juice a day at 4mg per ml. However, this is after about 8 years of vaping.

When I first quit smoking I was vaping 13mg nicotine strength on a small MTL (Mouth to Lung) atomizer and consumed about 4-5ml juice a day. The first couple of weeks completely smoke free I vaped more due to the anxiety of quitting.

The cost is much MUCH cheaper than cigarettes, especially if you make your own juice.

Have you made any choices about which vaporizer and flavor you are thinking about going with? Do your friends vape?

You will need a reliable device and possibly a backup to replace the reliability of smoking.

I'm doing about 250 hits a day on around a 14mg mix. This sort of number is pretty much irrelevant though I'd say, as there's way too many variables aside from nicotine level - wattage, coil resistance, number of coils, material of coils, positioning of coils, airflow, percentage of PG and VG in liquid, the type of vaping (MTL, DL, RDL), etc etc. Add to that the fact that every wannabe smoke quitter has varying needs - one needs strictly nicotine, another one is after throat hit, another is chasing clouds, another wants the closest (or the furthest) flavor, and so on. Essentially, there's so much stuff that trying to figure out anything based on the amount of hits, OR trying to figure out the amount of hits you're gonna do is pretty much meaningless.

A much better measurement in my opinion would be the total amount of nicotine consumed per month, and the amount of liquid that nicotine comes in. I can only share my personal experience - before switching to vaping, I had been smoking ~25 strong cigs a day for 20 years straight. After switching to vaping, as I believe lots of people do, I started with pretty strong juices (24mg) and pretty weak devices (was 7 years ago). As time passed, I switched to more powerful devices, less nic (first 18, then 12, then 6) and more juice consumed. At one point I was using around 400ml of 6mg juice a month, which gave me 2400mg of nic. At another point I was trying salt nic mixes and was vaping around 100ml of 26.5mg juice a month, which gave me 2650mg of nic. Now I switched to about 14mg mix and I expect I'll be vaping ~180ml a month, so essentially for me it's all about the amount of nicotine which stays roughly the same regardless of the setup.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
My Name is Dakota, Hi! So I'm kinda newish to vaping/e cigarettes, I have some friends who are using them to get off of cigarettes and I myself am also about to switch, but due to the pricing where I live it's just made me think about some questions, and I've already asked my friends but I think I needed to ask a lot more people. I couldn't find any statics or anything, so I thought I would just ask my future friends here. I'm not trying to sell anything, I just want to try and get some answers that is more than just a co worker and a roommate.
So here it goes.

How many 'hits' are you doing in an hour or in a day ? and also if it has nicotine and if you feel comfortable saying, what level of nicotine you have (if you do) ?

I know that obviously the nicotine levels will be different from person to person.
I am not entirely sure if this will just be removed, so my apologies to the Mods. I'm not trying to sell anything, Im just generally just trying to work out what to expect for myself.

Hi and welcome,
Where are you located?
How long have you smoked and how many per day?

Nicotine? Use as much as needed to keep you from smoking again.
I vape about 15ml of 5mg/ml , ~75mg per day.

Cheers
I

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Izan has nailed it - in the early stages of quitting smoking you do whatever you have to do to get the Smoking Monkey off of your back.

Once he's gone and you know it's for good, then you start finessing - get through the days one at a time and remember every one without a smoke is a triumph!

BTW - I've had devices with Puff Counters, and promply turned them off.

Now approaching seven years into this game I'm getting through a 10 mil bottle of 16 strength liquid every two days but that's because I'm dealing with selling a house, packing away collections and also dealing with the aftermath and delays caused by a car accident. That's probably double what I'd normally use.

Last edited:

Kai'ckul

Aug 14, 2021
East Coast
youtu.be
So here it goes.

I am not entirely sure if this will just be removed, so my apologies to the Mods. I'm not trying to sell anything, Im just generally just trying to work out what to expect for myself.

Reactions: Resistance

Resistance

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2020
So here it goes.

I take as many hits as possible. Different nic strengths and when the need arises I take more hits. The urge is gone,but the need is still there so nicotine replacement makes it easier.

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Your questions are perfectly acceptable, and I'd be happy to tell you how many puffs a day I take if I had the faintest idea of what the answer might be.:)

I can tell you that I quit smoking using 24+ mg/ml ejuice, although that was several years ago when devices weren't as powerful as they are now. A few years later, it occurred to me that it might be nice to reduce my nicotine, and I easily dropped from 24 mg/ml to 3 mg/ml over several months. I've stayed at 3 mg/ml since then.

There are a few things about nicotine it might be helpful to know:
  • Most of the harm from smoking comes from the products of combustion - ash, tar, various other substances - not from nicotine. That's why vaping is such a powerful tool for harm reduction, even if you are vaping nicotine.
  • Nicotine is toxic at high enough levels, but it's hard (if not next to impossible) to reach those levels by inhaling nicotine. People who have been harmed by it have either drunk the ejuice or have been using extremely high concentrations of nicotine as a pesticide and absorbed it through their skin, usually over several hours. When you inhale nicotine, it takes effect very quickly and you get sick long before you consume enough to do you any harm. Common symptoms of too much nicotine are: nausea, dizziness, headache, shakiness and tiredness. If you notice some combination of those, stop vaping and lower your nicotine level before you start again. You should feel better within about 20 minutes.
Another thing to note is that there are three basic styles of vaping at the moment, each of which uses a different combination of power and nicotine concentration to result in similar overall nicotine consumption:
  • Pod mods: Small devices, very low power and very high nicotine concentrations (often 20 mg/ml - 50 mg/ml, also written as 2% - 5%)
  • MTL (mouth-to-lung): Middle-of-the-road option. Moderate power, moderate nicotine levels (often 6 mg/ml - 20 mg/ml).
  • DL (direct lung): Higher-powered vaping. High power, low nicotine concentration (often 3 mg/ml - 6 mg/ml)

I guess I failed completely to answer your actual questions, but I hope some of this helps anyway. Good luck quitting!

Kai'ckul

Aug 14, 2021
East Coast
youtu.be
Your questions are perfectly acceptable, and I'd be happy to tell you how many puffs a day I take if I had the faintest idea of what the answer might be.:)

I can tell you that I quit smoking using 24+ mg/ml ejuice, although that was several years ago when devices weren't as powerful as they are now. A few years later, it occurred to me that it might be nice to reduce my nicotine, and I easily dropped from 24 mg/ml to 3 mg/ml over several months. I've stayed at 3 mg/ml since then.

There are a few things about nicotine it might be helpful to know:
  • Most of the harm from smoking comes from the products of combustion - ash, tar, various other substances - not from nicotine. That's why vaping is such a powerful tool for harm reduction, even if you are vaping nicotine.
  • Nicotine is toxic at high enough levels, but it's hard (if not next to impossible) to reach those levels by inhaling nicotine. People who have been harmed by it have either drunk the ejuice or have been using extremely high concentrations of nicotine as a pesticide and absorbed it through their skin, usually over several hours. When you inhale nicotine, it takes effect very quickly and you get sick long before you consume enough to do you any harm. Common symptoms of too much nicotine are: nausea, dizziness, headache, shakiness and tiredness. If you notice some combination of those, stop vaping and lower your nicotine level before you start again. You should feel better within about 20 minutes.
Another thing to note is that there are three basic styles of vaping at the moment, each of which uses a different combination of power and nicotine concentration to result in similar overall nicotine consumption:
  • Pod mods: Small devices, very low power and very high nicotine concentrations (often 20 mg/ml - 50 mg/ml, also written as 2% - 5%)
  • MTL (mouth-to-lung): Middle-of-the-road option. Moderate power, moderate nicotine levels (often 6 mg/ml - 20 mg/ml).
  • DL (direct lung): Higher-powered vaping. High power, low nicotine concentration (often 3 mg/ml - 6 mg/ml)

I guess I failed completely to answer your actual questions, but I hope some of this helps anyway. Good luck quitting!
High power low nic cloud chaser here :)))))))))))

• Winner
Reactions: Superuser187

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Almost 9 years ago, I use 48MG freebase style nicotine. That is what it took to get me off of 2 packs + a day of the Swisher Sweets cherry cigars, on a Mouth To Lung device (ok.. Several MTL devices!!!). But I did drop the nic to about 12mg soon after.

4 or 5 years ago, I switched to Open Lung devices and sub-ohm. I also dropped down to 3mg nic. I do have 1 MTL device and I fix a 5-6mg nic for that one.

I am a heavy vaper, just as I was a heavy smoker. I must have taken a dozen drags off 2 devices while typing this so far. And I don't count drags.

Everything depends on you, how well you take to vaping, how well nicotine works in your system, the color of the sky at the moment, if the butterfly flicked off to the left, or to the right, even if it went straight or backed up.

Welcome to the ECF!!

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Welcome to ecf....
I dont know how many puffs i do per day for sure it depends i guess like 200-300 hits...
My nicotine is 3mg now cause i was lowering the amount of nic slowly until i reach this low and now the cravings from lack of nicotine is much less so yeah...
Go for it without a doubt u have only to gain from this

Reactions: Kai'ckul

Kai'ckul

Aug 14, 2021
East Coast
youtu.be
Welcome to ecf....
I dont know how many puffs i do per day for sure it depends i guess like 200-300 hits...
My nicotine is 3mg now cause i was lowering the amount of nic slowly until i reach this low and now the cravings from lack of nicotine is much less so yeah...
Go for it without a doubt u have only to gain from this
heya...yeah when I last tried to clear my puff count it was at 9999 or something. Anyway, I'm stuck biting my nails, waiting for my new mod which doesn't come until MONDAY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread