Hello, I'm new and I also have a battery safety question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilo

Nov 21, 2016
Hello

My name is Nilo and I am new to this forum. It seems really awesome and full of good-to-know information!

I have a question on battery safety - I recently purchased a smok Alien 220w mod which came with the Smok baby beast tank. It has some pre-built coils (0.4ohm and 0.15 ohm).

I bought two batteries (Sony US18 650VTC6 battery (3000 mAh/3.7 V/Li-Ion)) and I wanted to know if these batteries are safe to use in this mod with these coils.

Also, I was wondering what is the lowest resistance I can safely build at in future when I get a new RBA tank, using this mod and battery combo? I dont intend to build too low - maybe 0.4 ohm, but I want to make sure I know what to avoid completely.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Niel

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello
My name is Nilo and I am new to this forum. It seems really awesome and full of good-to-know information!
Welcome and glad you joined. - I recently purchased a Smok Alien 220w mod which came with the Smok baby beast tank. It has some pre-built coils (0.4ohm and 0.15 ohm).
I bought two batteries (Sony US18 650VTC6 battery (3000 mAh/3.7 V/Li-Ion)) and I wanted to know if these batteries are safe to use in this mod with these coils.
Also, I was wondering what is the lowest resistance I can safely build at in future when I get a new RBA tank, using this mod and battery combo? I dont intend to build too low - maybe 0.4 ohm, but I want to make sure I know what to avoid completely.
Thank you,
Niel
Welcome and glad you joined.
"I was wondering what is the lowest resistance I can safely build at in future"---------Resistance Range: 0.1Ω-3Ω

"I bought two batteries (Sony US18 650VTC6 battery (3000 mAh/3.7 V/Li-Ion)) and I wanted to know if these batteries are safe to use in this mod with these coils."
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
(12) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part I | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
All About Sub-Ohm Vaping - The Perks and the Problems
What is Sub Ohm Vaping? Our Sub Ohm Vaping Guide & Tips
ECF Sub-Ohm Advisory

Reactions: Baditude

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Resistance does not matter on regulated devices. To figure out if your batteries are capable of handling the watts you throw at them, you divide the watts you plan to vape at by the cut-of voltage of your device (which in most cases is 3.2v) In multiple battery mods, you multiply the cut-of voltage by the number of batteries. In your case:

Say you want to vape at 100w. Add 10% for device inefficiency (110w) and divide by the cutoff voltage by number of batteries (3.2*2=6.4v) So 110v/6.4 = 17.2a. According to resident battery expert @Mooch, that is a 19a cell, and at 100w you're pretty close to the current those batteries are capable of supplying. If you don't plan on going too far 100w, they should be sufficient.

More information here:

Sony VTC6 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great battery, equaling HG2/30Q

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
it matters... to an extent, but not as much as mechs, because they have safeties. the .14 is too low if you were single battery, but as a dual it's okay...
It's not about the resistance, coil mass is what matters. You could build a higher resistance coil using a lot of thick wire, which would require more power than a lower resistance coil with less coil mass.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gramdogg

Nilo

Nov 21, 2016
Thanks everybody for the information. Much appreciated. Thanks also for all the links @BrotherBob.

On previous setups I mainly used to build around 0.5-0.65Ω so it seems I should be well within the limits of the batteries and the box.

On another note, one of the links above (dated 2014) mentions that sub-ohm vaping is probably much worse for you (carcinogenic) than vaping on a 1 or 2 ohm clearo. Is that still the general school of thought?

Reactions: BrotherBob

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hello

I have a question on battery safety - I recently purchased a Smok Alien 220w mod which came with the Smok baby beast tank. It has some pre-built coils (0.4ohm and 0.15 ohm).

Thank you,
Niel
The safe easy advice for somebody getting started is use the batteries recommended by the manufacturer until you understand the tradeoffs. I believe people choosing their own batteries should be able to do a Watt's law calculation from memory and understand how it applies to the device and their power settings.

Watt's law is volts x amps = watts. I use a single battery mod and never go above 30 watts. If the cut off voltage of the device is 3.1 volts then 3.1 volts x 10 amps = 30 watts. That tells me the maximum amps I will draw before the device turns itself off is 10 amps. I use a battery rated for 20 amps which gives me some safety margin. If you're not sure about this stuff use the factory recommended battery.

Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thanks everybody for the information. Much appreciated. Thanks also for all the links @BrotherBob.

On previous setups I mainly used to build around 0.5-0.65Ω so it seems I should be well within the limits of the batteries and the box.

On another note, one of the links above (dated 2014) mentions that sub-ohm vaping is probably much worse for you (carcinogenic) than vaping on a 1 or 2 ohm clearo. Is that still the general school of thought?
Resistance doesn't matter, calculate your amp draw based on the set watts and battery cutoff voltage. Check Sofarsogood's post.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014

My general thought is vaping more juice is less good, but tests on subohm devices vs, older devices show lower levels of chemicals such as formaldehyde with the newer stuff. The more powerful units are probably set more conservatively, but you probably would too. (that said, I don't subohm and don't like anything with a drip tip big enough to pass that much vapor, and am very sensitive to too-high settings on my low power devices).

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer, but my guess is yes. Why, the intake of foreign carbon based particles is on the order of x 10's lower than tobacco smoke with far less other contaminates --much worse, more like very little worse.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2016
    Fredericton NB Canada
    Yeah, unless you have one of these new crazy tanks you won't be doing anywhere near the watts required to vent your batteries basically. Doe's 220w but you won't be most likely so you'll be fine. I'd stay under 120w but 25A MVA by Mooch so you could do 140w and you'll feel it get hot at higher watts to the point you won't be able to hold it before it reaches venting temperatures. You can do 220w if you only use it 1 5sec puff then stop for 30 secs but thats just for cloud competitions on insane builds.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    I just noticed that the the Alien apparently discharges the batteries down to an uncharacteristically low 2.8v (the Djlsb vapes review). This needs to be accounted for when calculating the amp draw. For example, at 220w the draw is now in excess of 43 amps, double the cdr of most of the batteries we use. I would strongly recommend against using this mod at its full wattage with 20 amp batteries, or any batteries really (and remember that this is the new members forum...)!

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2016
    Fredericton NB Canada
    Good to know 2.8 nice geads up. Don't forget batteries age too so if your using Mooch's MVA rating that'll drop as your battery ages just like CDR so staying under CDR is always the safest route to take. That way even if your battery is old it will just get hot or to annoying to use (battery life) before it vents. If you vape them down till you get like 500mah even CDR ain't safe but you'll know to replace them from the heat they give off.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2016
    Fredericton NB Canada
    I'd have to change my recommended max watts to 100w with LG's 20A MVA and 120w with Samsung or Sony 25A MVA. MAX lol! Again unless you have one of these crazy tanks, TFV8, Arctic V(12?), or Ornate tank you won't be going anywhere near this. If you do maybe consider 30A CDR batteries.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread