Hello im new here, plz help with kylin mini wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaughtyChef

Jul 22, 2018
Hello and thank you in advance to anyone who can help me! ive just got my first rta, the kylin mini, a single coil seemed easier. Also have it on my first mech mod, the vaperz cloud 1111. After building many coils with the wire i have, geek vape ss clapton 26 + 30, i found out how it works and settled on a dual wire 3 wrap which reads on my regulated mod as 0.15 ohms, which i understand is safe for my 20700 batteries, but also is rippen strong, or even stronger than the tanks im used to like the crown 3, which is perfect.

I moved to the mech and the rebuildable for the flavour i heard you can get ( which it certainly does) and the cost, buying the coils for tanks is expensive. Also many cheaply made mods like smok, wismec, and a few others i have had over the years just stop working, stop reading the ohms correctly, fail to recognize an atty is on there etc. So i was hoping to eliminate all that and get a decent mech mod and rta to use (also mixing my own juice now which is a HUGE money saver.

The problem is the wicking...

I previously got the drop rda which is fine coz u can put the juice right on there, however constantly dripping is painful. I just wanna sit back relax and keep toking on a tank. I have spent the last couple of days after work just wicking and rewicking and rewicking, all different ways, with the same 0.15 coil ive got in there and sometimes i can pull one big hit and the second one is burnt towards the end, or i cant even get one big hit without it being burnt towards the end of the first draw.

I wanna pull on it like a crown or any other tank, where i can keep taking hit after hit after hit and it doesnt burn at all!! ive tried using lots of cotten, (cotten bacon v2), hardly any, and everything in between!

Is it possible for an rta to wick as good as a pre built coil tank like the Crown 3?

Do i need to make a coil with more resistance so it doesnt vaporize the liquid so fast? (i hope not coz i like the power where it is).

Is the Kylin mini's design just not good?

Should i get another rta, and if so what do you recommend is good for a single coil rta that wicks good?

Sorry it was so long.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Re wicking: RDAs are just like that. You have to redrip when the wick runs out of juice and it just won’t hold very much. What I think you want is an RDTA. That’s an RDA where the wicks hang into a juice well. Serpent Sam, Solomon 2, wasp nano RDTA, and aromamizer 7plus are all attys that might work for you. Your other option is a squonk mod. There the juice well is a bottle you squeeze to refill the wick. Makes dripping easier.

• Agree

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I would say you are vaporizing the juice faster than it can wick. .15 is pretty low for a single coil rta. I know you don't want to, but experimenting with other coils might be the best fix for this. If you want to puff away at it, higher ohms would use less juice and the wicking wouldn't need to work as fast. If you really don't want to change the ohms, wait longer between puffs.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. I regret to inform you you have purchased a mech that just isn't going to do what you want it to. You can't make a one-battery tube vape above 100 watts for more than a couple hits or so. Once you've done that much the battery voltage has lowered enough so you're under 100 watts and headed downhill fast. Cloud competitors do it, yes, but they also go to the comp with a dozen or more fresh batteries and change them every time they step up on the stage. If you really want to vape up above 100 watts consistently, buy a quality regulated mod with at least two and better three batteries. Get something like a Lost Vape with a DNA200 board in it (it will be as or more expensive than your 11:11) and you'll not have the "cheap mod break down quick" problem any more. There's no reason you can't put an RDA on a regulated mod. A multi battery mech is also a possibility, but you're still going to run into the voltage sag problem, just not as fast. You might get 10 or 20 hits before needing new batteries. As an illustration, a .15Ω coil on a mech at 4.2V (ignoring I2R losses, which are always present) yields 117W; at 4.0V you're down to 106W. At 3.8V you're under 100 and headed south. With one battery it doesn't take long to get there at all; the voltage drops off like a cliff. Another issue you're having is the huge thermal mass of the coil wire you've chosen. It takes a lot of power to heat up that much wire to vape temperature. Remember the surface of the wire is where vapor is made; all the heat in the middle of the wire is wasted for your purposes. Remember a coil slow to heat up is also slow to cool down; you're wasting some of the wick's capacity to transport juice immediately after the hit because the coil is still vaporizing juice from latent heat, you just aren't inhaling it. Getting off the button just before you finish the draw can help there. Your mech is going to work a lot better in the .35-.4Ω range. And think slick or round wire coils rather than fancy wire builds. Another good option is twists. A two wire twist gains about 85% of the surface area boost of a Clapton wire with similar resistance per length, with about 65% of the wire mass. That's a good direction to be going.

To your wicking problem: If you're using cotton, try switching to rayon. Rayon is, IMHO, better at wicking and less susceptible to "choking" in the coil. (If your Kylin can be configured for vertical coil barrels, you may want to look at a set of porous ceramic rods for wicks, but they're finicky and easy to break. However, they will not burn.) Build the largest diameter coils you can get under the cap without grounding out. Bigger barrels = more wick in the coil = more juice right handy to the coil where it's needed. Try to build a really big diameter single coil set for the same reason. Coils do not have to be wound round. Square or rectangular may fit better under the cap and yield more wick in the middle. You can make your own mandrel with glue, a paint stir stick and a piece of sandpaper from the hardware store in any shape or size you want with a bit of ingenuity and work. Another good reason to increase the resistance of your coil set is to increase the number of wraps and thus the length of the barrel. A 3-wrap coil doesn't have a lot of wire surface area in contact with the wick, and wire surface in contact with wet wick is where vapor comes from. Comparatively speaking,Silica wick is pretty miserable, flavor wise, compared to rayon-- that's why so few people now use it-- but it is less susceptible to burning than even rayon, if you can't get ceramics in your topper. That's the direction you need to go: more saturated wick immediately available to the coil, because it holds more juice in the "ready" position. That way you can vape what's there during the hit and let the wick "catch up" between hits so you don't over-vape the wick's capacity for juice transport.

Finally, remember there is no easier way to avoid dry hits than vaping in Temp Control.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, I'm going to say that perhaps despite your best efforts, you haven't really provided yourself with the best and optimal vaping for your needs, unfortunately. A squonk might suit you better, where you aren't dripping all the time and the good news is that mechanical squonks are (at least sometimes) less expensive than regulated squonks, so if you like the ATOMIZER otherwise, you could look for a reasonable mechanical squonker and have a more similar experience than with a mech and where you have to constantly drip. Or, if you like the setup, keep it at home and get a squonker kit for out and about. I don't think it's your wicking either.

Or, if you like the idea of an RTA, get one of those and use it on a regulated mod. Etc. I too genuinely think you aren't doing anything wrong, it's just that drippers are just that-- you drip. Maybe good for evening TV but as an all day vape, they certainly have disadvantages.

Good luck,

Anna

Reactions: NaughtyChef

NaughtyChef

Jul 22, 2018
Thank you everybody! lots of detailed info and advice! i think that the coil is too low ohms. i have a dual coil in a sigle coil rta with wick in it, whereas in an actual dual rta or rda it has space for actually two coils each with there own wick so no brainer there i guess they wick much better! im gonna try making a higher ohm build, probly save on battery life too, and see if i can get it wicking. i really like my rta and mod setup so im not giving up on it yet! mechs and rebuildables are turning out to be alot more indepth than i thought but cool to play around with. Thanks again guys:)

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Thank you everybody! lots of detailed info and advice! i think that the coil is too low ohms. i have a dual coil in a sigle coil rta with wick in it, whereas in an actual dual rta or rda it has space for actually two coils each with there own wick so no brainer there i guess they wick much better! im gonna try making a higher ohm build, probly save on battery life too, and see if i can get it wicking. i really like my rta and mod setup so im not giving up on it yet! mechs and rebuildables are turning out to be alot more indepth than i thought but cool to play around with. Thanks again guys:)
NC, I am not sure why everyone was focused on your RDA, when you asked about your RTA.???? Kylin mini is a pretty small chimney/bell, why not try it at .4- .5 or so. Worst case you just start again. Wire is relatively cheap, cotton/rayon even more so. There are lotsa build vids for this one, too. I can't help you with specifics, as I am more of a MTL guy, but that seems like one Hotazz vape you got going in that little atty.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Glad everything worked out for you,hang in there.

NaughtyChef

Jul 22, 2018
BC4143F4-9FD2-422D-A3AF-2F1F1EBD590C.jpeg
Thanks guys, i made a 0.3 ohm coil 3 mm spaced and its still too strong lol, gonna just go for 4 or 5 wrap and try to get around 4 ohms. also getting some pg in the mail to add to my mixes, so far just been mixing max vg, hopefully thatll wick better.

• Agree
Reactions: joltfreek

NaughtyChef

Jul 22, 2018
image.jpg
ok well that last build seemed to wick ok, no dry hits and was sort of ok vapour production but no flavour at all. gonna take some advice from suprtrukr and try this coil.... its 24 g kanthal , the only other wire i have. its at 0.4 ohms.

Edit ....

i can pull on this hard for about 6 tokes, it has almost some some good flavour. i tried a different wicking with shorter wicks so the juice has less wick to travel to the coil. gonna try again with a hopefully 0.35 coil.

Last edited:

NaughtyChef

Jul 22, 2018
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ive f&$ken done it!!! 4 wraps of the clapton ss 26+ 30 coming out at 0.4 ohms. the wick needs to be short as possible above the screws almost! i can hit this for a really ong time no probs and gets sweet flavour:)

Thank you to everyone your advice pointed me in the right direction, very happy:)

i have hardly any clapton wire left lol got it a few days ago

and here she is looking sick as!

Endscrypt

Jul 25, 2018
Hello and thank you in advance to anyone who can help me! ive just got my first rta, the kylin mini, a single coil seemed easier. Also have it on my first mech mod, the vaperz cloud 1111. After building many coils with the wire i have, geek vape ss clapton 26 + 30, i found out how it works and settled on a dual wire 3 wrap which reads on my regulated mod as 0.15 ohms, which i understand is safe for my 20700 batteries, but also is rippen strong, or even stronger than the tanks im used to like the crown 3, which is perfect.

I moved to the mech and the rebuildable for the flavour i heard you can get ( which it certainly does) and the cost, buying the coils for tanks is expensive. Also many cheaply made mods like smok, wismec, and a few others i have had over the years just stop working, stop reading the ohms correctly, fail to recognize an atty is on there etc. So i was hoping to eliminate all that and get a decent mech mod and rta to use (also mixing my own juice now which is a HUGE money saver.

The problem is the wicking...

I previously got the drop rda which is fine coz u can put the juice right on there, however constantly dripping is painful. I just wanna sit back relax and keep toking on a tank. I have spent the last couple of days after work just wicking and rewicking and rewicking, all different ways, with the same 0.15 coil ive got in there and sometimes i can pull one big hit and the second one is burnt towards the end, or i cant even get one big hit without it being burnt towards the end of the first draw.

I wanna pull on it like a crown or any other tank, where i can keep taking hit after hit after hit and it doesnt burn at all!! ive tried using lots of cotten, (cotten bacon v2), hardly any, and everything in between!

Is it possible for an rta to wick as good as a pre built coil tank like the Crown 3?

Do i need to make a coil with more resistance so it doesnt vaporize the liquid so fast? (i hope not coz i like the power where it is).

Is the Kylin mini's design just not good?

Should i get another rta, and if so what do you recommend is good for a single coil rta that wicks good?

Sorry it was so long.

Bro there’s no getting around it the Kylin Mini is a little ..... to wick properly, properly being no dry hits even when chain Vaping. The good news it can be done check out KingPins pancake method it works so well the flavour imo is on par with some single coil RDAs, try also raising your resistance to a .3 there abouts and yes a well wicked RTA will let you chain hit just like all those proprietary tanks, it’s just a matter of getting it right. Good luck man, mine was almost in a bin then I seen KingPins method thought it can’t hurt to try, and it’s been golden from then every pull is followed by bubbles glorious bubbles lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread