Hello! New here and with a question about rebuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ECF community I've been vaping for about two months now starting with the eGo-C. I then moved up to an iTaste MVP and now got into mods with a Trident rda on a Sentinel clone. I made my way through doing video work for a friend of mine who owns a vape shop. As a little "payment" for a recent video, he gave me the Trident with dual coils already. I'd like to get into rebuilding myself but I got a few questions since I'm still a newbie.

I was going by this chart to see how I should build my atomizer:
https://store-549f5.mybigcommerce.com/product_images/uploaded_images/voltagechart-lg.jpg

My battery is 3.7v but I'd like to use a lower ohm for "clouds". I've watched/read people using 0.5 ohms and I think what I currently have is about 0.9 ohms, again I did not build this myself, my friend did.

I was used to vaping 1.8 ohms from my glass clearomizer I used for my eGo and MVP. The chart shows red and I was wondering how "dangerous" is it according to the chart? I read about 4-8 watts being ideal. If I'm going by the chart, I'm assuming using 0.5 ohm on a 3.7v battery would greatly exceed that.

Maybe the chart is for non-modders? If so, is there another "guide" for modders to go by? Thanks! :)

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I don't subOhm, though I sometimes rebuild around 1.0 - 1.5. Also, I don't chase clouds. I actually vape now and started vaping to quit smoking, and I actually like the flavor and throat hit of a nice 1.3 - 1.5 Ohm coil. When chasing clouds, I've noticed that the flavor is almost non-existent, and the throat hit almost painful, so I don't do it, as I still want to vape for enjoyment. SubOhms is not something to fool around with until you know everything about Ohm's law, battery safety, rebuilding, etc., so I recommend you begin your pursuit with a complete and thorough understanding of these disciplines. Thereafter, head to the RBA Forums and ask the veterans about your setup. Aren't too many on the new Members Forum who are rebuilding subOhm coils. In many cases, we are trying to help them get from cigalikes to stick battery/clearo kits. Good luck to you, power up and vape on!

Thanks Bill you're right! I think I'll settle with what I have or around it, which is like 0.9 from what I was told. I think 1.0-1.5 like you would be great also. I like the setup I have and I don't mind rebuilding to the same thing. I just received my Trident yesterday and I'm already paranoid about finishing the thing and I don't know how to rebuild yet to replace it lol so I'm switching back and fourth with my MVP so it lasts until I learn how to rebuild. I've watched a tutorial from GrimmGreen for rebuilding a dual coil for a Trident. I'm happy because it's the same thing I got but also he got it to 0.5 ohms which is why I brought it up previously. Rebuilding seems simple, and I got an ohm meter on its way. But I'll hit the books!

A little about me though. I used to smoke cigarettes about four years ago. Maybe a pack every two or three days. The first thing I inhaled after was a vape two months ago. Not that I want to smoke cigarettes again, I actually hate cigarettes now, but I always liked hookah and vape felt the closest to it. I guess my reason for wanting clouds traces back to smoking hookah lol

I have a trident too. With dual coils, I rebuild to about 1.4 Ohms and love the vape. The Trident is a great platform, and with air flow control, very versatile, though two 2mm holes for the dual coil didn't seem that well thought out to me. Regardless, it's a nice piece of gear. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the advice Bill :) I'll read up and try to look through this forum. Looks good so far!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
A little about me though. I used to smoke cigarettes about four years ago. Maybe a pack every two or three days. The first thing I inhaled after was a vape two months ago. Not that I want to smoke cigarettes again, I actually hate cigarettes now, but I always liked hookah and vape felt the closest to it. I guess my reason for wanting clouds traces back to smoking hookah lol

You know, the thing about clouds is that it seems like it's becoming more of a competition, than vaping to quit smoking and stay off analogs. It's just not the reason I vape, and honestly, I get just about as much vapor with my RBA anyway, but with a lot more flavor and much better TH. Everyone loves vapor. I do, but it has to taste good too for me to enjoy it. Just sayin'. Best to you!

Frankenmizer

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Dimension V
I don't subOhm, though I sometimes rebuild around 1.0 - 1.5. Also, I don't chase clouds. I actually vape now and started vaping to quit smoking, and I actually like the flavor and throat hit of a nice 1.3 - 1.5 Ohm coil. When chasing clouds, I've noticed that the flavor is almost non-existent, and the throat hit almost painful, so I don't do it, as I still want to vape for enjoyment. SubOhms is not something to fool around with until you know everything about Ohm's law, battery safety, rebuilding, etc., so I recommend you begin your pursuit with a complete and thorough understanding of these disciplines. Thereafter, head to the RBA Forums and ask the veterans about your setup. Aren't too many on the new Members Forum who are rebuilding subOhm coils. In many cases, we are trying to help them get from cigalikes to stick battery/clearo kits. Good luck to you, power up and vape on!

That says it about as well as it could possibly be said.

Frankenmizer

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Dimension V
I was looking at Kanthal A1 32 gauge and it says that it requires oxidizing. What does that mean? Could I just use the wire straight from the roll?

I use 32ga Kanthal. Oxidizing means running over it with a flame until it glows red, then letting it cool. It takes the natural springiness out of the wire.
It's been my experience it's an entirely optional step for traditional setups. YouTube has metric tons of videos about coil builds that never mention oxidation.

If you look up Super-X-Drifter's microcoil technique, you'll see how oxidation is done using at least two methods.
Neither is rocket science, however, I'd recommend starting with traditional setups, learning the feel of things before moving forward.

Building your knowledge and confidence from first principles is the safest way to go.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I was looking at Kanthal A1 32 gauge and it says that it requires oxidizing. What does that mean? Could I just use the wire straight from the roll?

Oxidizing wire makes it more pliable and easier to work with. Oxidizing stainless steel mesh burns off some of the chemical (oil) impurities left on the mesh during production, and lessens it's conductivity and helps prevent shorts.

In both instances this means heating the metal at high temperature. When I started it meant using a small butane torch, but I see a lot of people now just using their gas stove (if they have one) or even just a Bic lighter. A micro torch would get the job done much faster, but probably isn't a necessity.

When I started with RBAs, the entire wick was oxidized. Now the trend seems to be only to oxidize the part of the wick that the coil will be near.

PBusardo quote concerning cloud chasers and sub-ohm coils: "Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should."

Last edited:

Frankenmizer

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Dimension V
Oxidizing wire makes it more pliable and easier to work with. Oxidizing stainless steel mesh burns off some of the chemical (oil) impurities left on the mesh during production, and lessens it's conductivity and helps prevent shorts.

Good point about SS mesh. Oxidizing that before use is pretty much standard practice these days.

I built my first SS mesh wick today, in fact. I oxidized the entire 5x5 inch sheet before I cut a section out for the wick.
Still shorted out the first two coils (hey, I'm learning, too!) - third one worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread