Status
Not open for further replies.

bdpf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Hi Everyone,

I've been smoking for 16 years and am thinking about making the switch to vaping. I've been doing some research over the weekend and let me tell you, between atomizers, cartomizers, cleromizers, PG juice, VG juice, etc.. there is just so much to assimilate, it's not funny!

First I wanted to try the ones that look like cigarettes, simply due to the fact that it looks like what I've been using for the past 16 years. After reading a bit, it looks like most people tend to stay away from those due to poor vapor, short battery life and constant refilling.
Then I thought that the Ego C2 650mAh might work. It seems to be the smallest form factor available for decent performance. Although I have to admit that I still find it way too big and I'm not a huge fan of how people tend to hold it like a cinnamon stick LOL! Plus I'm not sure how I'll fit this monster in a jean pocket... how do you carry this thing?

Do you think this is the right choice for me?

Thanks.

lsufan

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
I'm also new to vaping. Just started last week and while I haven't completely stopped the analogs, I've definitely decreased the amount I smoke. I was a PAD and cut down immediately to half a pack for the first two days, then 7 on the 3rd day, 5 on the next 2 days, and 2 so far today. Yesterday and today, I've noticed that the analogs taste really bad. I almost dreaded smoking my morning one today! I probably could have skipped it and been okay but I'm not quite ready yet.

Anyway, I also wanted a cig a like but like you read a lot of posts from people who didn't like them. I first bought an 1100 mah ego c twist and loved it right away. However I was still missing that cig in my hand feeling, so I purchased an eroll the next day. The day I purchased the eroll is the day I cut down to 7 analogs. I really like it for driving and for when one of my coworkers asked me to take a cig break with him. I probably would have done fine without the eroll, but I feel I'm progressing faster with it. I've only had it for three full days now, and maybe I will move past using it at some point, but right now I'm really glad I spent the money.

I'm sure someone with more experience will help you out, but just wanted to share my thoughts and wish you luck!

edited to add that I would not be happy with just the eroll. The ego twist really helps manage those more serious cravings. If I could only buy one, I would stick with the ego.

Last edited:

bdpf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for the advice. That's actually a great idea. I think I'll start with a ego and if I see I'm still missing the feeling of an analog on my hand, will probably buy the eroll or the itaste mentioned above as well.

Edit: on a side note, do you find the variable voltage being useful? I've read a few times that using a regular battery with a 1.8ohms coil should be great most of the time. That's why I was considering the Ego C2 instead, a bit cheaper and much smaller size.

Last edited:

bdpf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Now for the "inhaler" (sorry if I'm using the wrong term, still new to this)
It looks like the atomizers/cartridge are something of the past due to cost and complexity.
Which would be best then, cartomizer or cleromizer? It looks like the cleromizer would be more practical to use and maintain, plus since it's a tank, you can always see the level of liquid. Is there a big difference in taste using one vs the other? Which one would you recommend?

lsufan

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks for the advice. That's actually a great idea. I think I'll start with a ego and if I see I'm still missing the feeling of an analog on my hand, will probably buy the eroll or the itaste mentioned above as well.

Edit: on a side note, do you find the variable voltage being useful? I've read a few times that using a regular battery with a 1.8ohms coil should be great most of the time. That's why I was considering the Ego C2 instead, a bit cheaper and much smaller size.

My ego does have the variable voltage but I'm not far along enough to really know if its really useful to me or not. From what I've read, maybe some juices do better at different voltages. I've ordered a lot of small bottles of liquids to try so I will be experimenting to see if I notice a difference once those arrive in the mail.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH

Variable voltage allows you to "dial in" a juice for a particular taste/texture/vapor....A juice vaped at, say, 3.3 volts is likely going to taste somewhat different at 4.2 volts.....Some folks like a more intense "throat hit"; higher voltage can HELP this...but there are other things like nicotine content and juice base that also affect "hit" (as a general rule-of-thumb....PG-based juices tend to provide better throat hit; VG-based juices tend to mute a flavor but CAN provide better vapor....)...
So....end of the day...I'd go with a vv battery like the eGo Twist or Vision Spinner...they both come in various sizes, but the larger ones are apt to be somewhat bulky to carry....I've got 2 eGo-c Twist 650mAh and one will run me all day....then I charge it up overnight!!
BTW.....2 batteries are a MUST!! Nothing's worse than going to vape and finding your ONE battery is DEAD!! (OK....Not having any juice IS just as bad!!!!;))....
Good luck with whatever you choose....As for the carto/clearo question...I use T3 and Protank 2 clearos and like them a LOT!!
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Bibliophile713

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2013
SC, USA
Oh, and as a smoker, would you say I would be better using PG or VG juices? This PG/VG is still very obscure to me, can't say I really get it yet.

Starting off with a mixture of the two would probably be your best bet. Many juice vendors let you choose the ratio yourself. I'd say 70pg/30vg is a good place to start.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
Well i said I wanted something that looked like a cig at first too, but it was SO disappointing and i thought if this is "the vaping experience, screw it" then I found this forum and ended up getting a "kit" to start eGo batteries (2) and matching cartridges and some juice at a local B&M. NOT EVEN A WEEK and I thought "this is OK but i thought it would be better" and moved up to an eGo twist (also, about the day after that, a vision spinner which performs better--might only be the difference between the two ITEMS i possess, not the two brands). And a Kanger Pro-Tank (glass for cinnamon flavors) AND my now-vaping-professional at the B&M pulled out his own and said he liked the BCC Mega (showed me his) really better. So got one of those too. LOL I didn't WANT to be buying up all the time to start with but it just got to be a better and better experience. I would recommend to START with a vision spinner or eGo twist with a BCC (mega or mini) to START so you aren't constantly buying up. If you have a B&M get juice from there in the beginning (they let you taste it first). Then expand to buying juice online from places that sound reputable from this forum. I just made my first online orders from Alice in Vapeland (maybe arrive today?) Heathers Heavenly Vapors (also today or tomorrow?) and Virgin Vapors (was the first to ship and two of the 4 flavors I picked (recommended from here!) are A W E S O M E

I am not a person who likes to fool with fixing stuff and this works for me. I need to learn how to clean coils now (a couple are maybe gummed up, hard to draw on) and plan to go to the B&M probably tomorrow to get shown this. I am a little funny about smoking this "weird looking cigar sized thing" instead of a ciggy but the experience is amazing, AND i have already stopped the analogs/stinkys and didn't even PLAN to do that! I am not going to call myself a non-smoker for another 6 months or so...

good luck!

Madison76

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Columbia, SC
A variable voltage eGo is an excellent device. The down side is the battery doesn't last as long you we all would like, but it does kick ..... I've been vaping for 6 months and even though I have a mod - I still have, and use frequently, my eGo-v. With variable voltage you can adjust the power heating the coil. Different liquids will need it to get the same vapor and flavor. Also, depending on you - you may want a stronger hit and vice versa. In the morning, I reduce voltage to a low setting. In the evening, with a cocktail, I turn that bad boy up. I say it is a must.

As for the liquid delivery device, there are as many options as their are opinions on this forum. I love bottom coil clearomizers. I use cartomizers and atomizers on occasion, but to get you started, ease of use and to still get performance - BCCs work very well. Kanger T3, MT3, Protank are all good choices.

For beginnners, keep it simple. You can be overwhelmed. Get something reliable that works and vape while you learn. You don't have to have the biggest and baddest right out of the gate. Everything I just suggested, I still use to this day (along with a few other toys).

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
One kind that is bigger than a cigarette but much smaller than an Ego is a KR808D-1. It's a 3.7v device (actually more voltage than Egos which are usually around 3.4v). Another kind is Joye 510 (but it is smaller and and has less battery charge and is only 3.2v). I only recommend either as manuals. Manuals give a more consistent and reliable drag and are harder to kill with juice leaks. Almost every larger and pro e-cig is manual.

What I use (and I vape a pair with contrasting flavors)

KR808D-1 manuals 280mah 9the medium size) w/ cartomizer from Bloog (they are out of some colors right now). Bloog or Smokeless Image has the best price on the non-slip coated batteries - these has about a 5-second cutoff (sort of short) and a tight drag on the manuals (and IMO even tighter on the auto which I tried once and threw out). Those are 3.6v regulated. I also use the manual plain shiny single logo Vapor King batteries from V4L.com (sign up to get their almost-daily sale emails) - these are 3.7v unregulated (can be stronger right after charging and weaker at the end) - easier drag but also easier to kill since even though they are manuals they have an air hole in the threaded end center. For backups I use the KR808D-1 manuals from LiteCigUSA.net. You can use prefileld cartos from Bloog, SmokelessImage, V4L to find flavors you might like (all have mixed sample packs). Then for real I use blank Bloog cartos (superior IMO) and my own choice of high-PG juices (usually V4L WOW juices)

My alternate and weaker but gives a nice drag...

My OTHER slim model is a 510 manual (short battery life but fully sealed on end - you cannot kill these with juice) and the longer 510 mega manual (LiteCigUSA.net has real Joye 510's - I stay away from 510-T's since their chargers can fry a 510). I use these with 2.5ohm SmokTech SINGLE coil cartomizers from Madvapes so I can get a good vape out of them. The 510 batteries are only 3.2v so a typical 3ohm cartomizer is weak on them. I would not go lower than 2.5 single coil.

Since I use a pair and carry a spare pair (as well as a PCC for one) that gives me enough battery life. I also have chargers at work, car, and home.

Note - I also use a drip tip in place of the cartomizer endcap. I do not drip into it. I use it as a mouthpiece and also because I can pull it off without tools to see if the top of the cartomizer stuffing looks dry. If so, I take the carto off the device and add liquid.

Last edited:

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread