Hello. New to ECF. Dry Hit brought me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanH73

Aug 18, 2020
Hello, I am new to the thread. I was looking for information about my throat hurting to the point to where I gagged and dry heaved the first time it happened. Today wasn’t the second time it happened but it was the second worse time. It happened about 12 hours ago and my throat still hurts. I thought it was a piece of the coil coming off and hitting the back of my throat. I learned on here that I was experiencing a dry hit. I smoked juul’s for a year until they banned flavors. Big blueberry fan. Not a big dry hit fan. Wanted to say hello and thanks to everyone who posted about dry hits. Now I know more about it and how to try to avoid it. I hope I can return the favor one day. Have a good night. Thanks again, Alan

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Welcome to ECF Alan and I agree dry hits are awful, especially if the dry hit is from a mesh atty. For the dry throat you may want to try gargling salt water. Get a small glass of the good stuff, add a decent amount of salt, put in microwave for maybe 10-20 seconds,(kinda depends amount of water) and give it a stir so the salt gets good and dissolved. Let it sit for a bit because it will be too hot. When it’s comfortably warm give it a gargle. The warmth soothes a scratchy throat and the salt helps,‘don’t really know how but it’s always helped me with a dry scratchy throat. In conclusion, best of luck to you and I hope you get sorted out so dry hits don’t happen. Temperature control may help the dry hits. It should cut the power if no juice is present on the coil. I’ve never really tested this due to my liking of power mode but I’ve heard others say it works well. Here’s a link to the temperature control section of this forum. Should have any/all information if you’re interested in learning about it. Temperature Control

AlanH73

Aug 18, 2020
Welcome to ECF Alan and I agree dry hits are awful, especially if the dry hit is from a mesh atty. For the dry throat you may want to try gargling salt water. Get a small glass of the good stuff, add a decent amount of salt, put in microwave for maybe 10-20 seconds,(kinda depends amount of water) and give it a stir so the salt gets good and dissolved. Let it sit for a bit because it will be too hot. When it’s comfortably warm give it a gargle. The warmth soothes a scratchy throat and the salt helps,‘don’t really know how but it’s always helped me with a dry scratchy throat. In conclusion, best of luck to you and I hope you get sorted out so dry hits don’t happen. Temperature control may help the dry hits. It should cut the power if no juice is present on the coil. I’ve never really tested this due to my liking of power mode but I’ve heard others say it works well. Here’s a link to the temperature control section of this forum. Should have any/all information if you’re interested in learning about it. Temperature Control
Thanks. Right after the dry hit happens I end up drinking a lot of root beer to keep from gaging. That usually goes on for 20 minutes to an hour or so. Yesterday was bad. Next time I’ll try the salt water. I’m wondering if ice might help right after. I’ll definitely try warm salt water next time, I wish there wasn’t going to be a next time but I’m sure it will happen again. Maybe not as bad as yesterday. Are y’all not concerned with harmful metals going into your lungs? I’ve read a couple of articles on that subject. I do use mesh RPM Coils. In a Smok Nord 2 Device. Anyone else using one of those? Like I said, I was using a JUUL until the flavor ban, went to a local Vape Shop and that is what the woman in the store recommended. I thought about using disposables but they are expensive. I like the Nord 2 but the only thing I have to compare it to is a JUUL. What do y’all use? Thanks for welcoming me to ECF. I really appreciate it. I’m glad I found this site.

Reactions: madstabber

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thanks. Right after the dry hit happens I end up drinking a lot of root beer to keep from gaging. That usually goes on for 20 minutes to an hour or so. Yesterday was bad. Next time I’ll try the salt water. I’m wondering if ice might help right after. I’ll definitely try warm salt water next time, I wish there wasn’t going to be a next time but I’m sure it will happen again. Maybe not as bad as yesterday. Are y’all not concerned with harmful metals going into your lungs? I’ve read a couple of articles on that subject. I do use mesh RPM Coils. In a Smok Nord 2 Device. Anyone else using one of those? Like I said, I was using a JUUL until the flavor ban, went to a local Vape Shop and that is what the woman in the store recommended. I thought about using disposables but they are expensive. I like the Nord 2 but the only thing I have to compare it to is a JUUL. What do y’all use? Thanks for welcoming me to ECF. I really appreciate it. I’m glad I found this site.
I don’t like most of Smok’s products. I’m sure some are good but they tend to put out lots of products and seem to focus on quantity not quality. Also I don’t care for the looks of many of their mods. In case you are wondering, Vaporesso, Smoant, Innokin, and Lost vape make some really good mods and Freemax is my absolute favorite for drop-in coils. They make excellent coils that last long and provide great flavor. They have good tanks as well and so do Horizontech & Uwell. There are others also but those are some of my favorites I’ve come to love over my 8 years of vaping.
Also you shouldn’t be getting dry hits. You need to figure that out. If you are building your own coils it would be understandable and part of the learning process but with factory coils it shouldn’t happen. I can’t remember the last time I’ve gotten one from a properly primed factory coil. I’m thinking it’s never happened so something is going on with yours. Anyway I just thought I’d give some suggestions on solid brands that make quality gear. Best of luck and stop them dry hits, lol.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I wish there was a way to programmatically limit the wattage on a mod.
My mod will go to 50 watts, but I have never used it over 14 watts. I'm usually at 12 to 13 watts. I hate when the button gets accidentally pushed, and then, in a moment, I get a scorcing hit and my coil is toasted!
Unfortunately, my mod has the "lock" feature tied to the "stealth" feature. (Aspire Pegasus Mini).

The other times is user error, when I stupidly don't refil the tank.

It reminds me of when I was smoking, all white cigs (salem 100) and in the dark, light up the wrong end...

:shock:

After the warm salty water, try a spoon of honey. Or a lozenge.

Or my goto favorite. Jose Cuervo makes several truly excellent pain remedies!!!!

:w00t:

Reactions: madstabber

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I love the Vaporesso Gen for it’s easy lock the buttons feature. Just three clicks and no worries about accidental power surges. Just a great mod with easy to navigate menu and it feels amazing with the coating which is surprisingly durable. Mine doesn’t have any marks on it and I’ve used it everyday since it came out. It has three buttons not counting the fire button which I wish all mods had. Makes navigating the menu easier and it’s not like there’s no room for one more button. Never understood why all mods don’t have this, .... having to 5 click 3 click click click clickitty clack nonsense. Just give me a menu button .......mit.

• Agree
Reactions: DaveOno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread