Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hello,

My wife and I have been smoking for a bit over 50 years, and we've decided it's time to quit. Yes... I know, a bit late to the party on that count. ;)

I've been looking at tank systems and am building an "experimental" order with Northwest Vapors. A few different types of batts and a few different types of cartos... I understand that there may be better choices, but at this point I'm trying to get everything from one source.
If those with experience could consider my choices and tell me if I'm heading in the right direction, or could make far better choices in the same system type from one or two other vendors... I'd certainly appreciate it.

SmokTech 510-DCT Dual Coil Tank Cartomizer
SmokTech 510-DCT v2 Dual Coil Tank Cartomizer
SmokTech Replacement 510-DCT and v2 Cartomizer
Vivi Nova Mini 2.5 ml Tank Cartomizer
KGO/EGO Enhanced Pass-Through with 1100 mAh Battery
EGO-V Variable Voltage Pass-Through Battery

Thanks,
C

metrabolic

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2013
Chandler, AZ
I do not care for dual coil or smoktech brand carto's. But that's just my preference. I do like the vivi nova but, find that sometimes the vivi nova dull the flavor. I just ordered a few carto tanks from a supplier with boge carto's and love them. I also like the protank and enjoy dripping with an atty.

As for devices I have several for a beginner I would recommend getting an ego batt, I really like my ego twist and use it daily. I also have just plan ego batteries and several mods. I also have a pass through vv that I use in the car on long road trips.

Good luck with your purchase.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
+1 for lots of delivery systems to experiment with, each one has pros, cons and quirks. Several juice samples are good too.

You've probably seen this kit posted. It's very popular, but you might not be interested since it doesn't have the same components (like a PT) as the products you listed: http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

I frequently buy clearos and little tanks from Vapors Choice: Clearomizers

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Ah... a wealth of information to chew through. Thank you all - gents and/or ladies.

A question: What the differences are between a wick type and "hole" type cartomizers? Is it, as bnrkwest suggests, another "personal thing", or is it a notable function thing?

Ocelot... I have looked at the "Spinner/Twist Ego VV Tank Combo" and it's on my short list of purchases as well, as are the Kanger Clearomizers. Thank you for reminding me.

It's going to take me a while to get the hang of all these slang terms... bear with me. :)

Thanks again,
C

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Congratulations for a step in the right direction!
That looks like a good starting point. Remember to buy at least one backup battery for yourself and your wife, you never know when one might give out. That goes for delivery systems too.
Also, grab a sampler pack of different juices to try because you never know what you may like.

+1 for lots of delivery systems to experiment with, each one has pros, cons and quirks. Several juice samples are good too.

You've probably seen this kit posted. It's very popular, but you might not be interested since it doesn't have the same components (like a PT) as the products you listed: http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

I frequently buy clearos and little tanks from Vapors Choice: Clearomizers
I just purchased this "kit" from them and couldn't be happier. There are cheaper set ups but this is worth the money. it allows you several options for tanks and batteries. Just be sure to stock up on the right maintenance supplies (see my thread Warning!! get back ups!!).
Good luck and VAPE :vapor: ON!!

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
A question: What the differences are between a wick type and "hole" type cartomizers? Is it, as bnrkwest suggests, another "personal thing", or is it a notable function thing?

The "hole" cartomizer is a punched carto, meaning that it has at least one hole punched in the bottom to allow liquid to enter while inside a dc tank. The cartos have filler material inside of a tube that you saturate with e-liquid and, in your case, insert it into a tank which continually feeds liquid to the filler which then gets atomized.

The "wick" style are known as clearomizers. Clearos are a tank that has wick which feed into a wire coil which heats and atomizes the liquid, they can be either top coil or bottom coil and give different types of preformance depending on the type.

Some clearomizers like your vivi nova can be "rebuilt" but i'd save that for later on down the line if you feel inclined.

There is a difference in function but in the end each have quirks and you have to decide which one better suits your needs.

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your decision to quit smoking (it's never too late to quit), I am from the Canadian portion of the Pacific North Wet. Speaking of wet, make sure you drink plenty of water and stay hydrated, as vaping is dehydrating.

It looks like your picking out some nice equipment. I have never used the tank cartomizer so I have no advice there. I really like my Viva Nova's, they are top coil clearomizers and produce a warm vape and the Kanger I believe is bottom coil, so it produces a cooler vape. It's a matter of personal preference. Also it would be a good idea to pick up a few spare heads for your clearomizers.

I can personally recommend the Ego C twist, they are all I have used so far and I am very happy with them, as for the vaping terms here is a link to Baditiude's blog on Vaping terminology:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...k-what-primer-juice-delivery-attachments.html

Happy Vaping:)

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Thanks for the carto differences information DoogieTony. I guess I was fishing with the wrong bait. :p My fault.

What I was looking for was more along the lines of... aside from the design/function differences which you neatly reviewed, do they taste or operate differently? For example - do the wick type deliver a stronger or weaker vapor - is one known to last a greater number of hours than the other - does one consume juice at a faster rate? That's the sort of information I was fishing for... I suck at fishing. :D

Thanks,
C

Snkinep

Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
El Paso, Texas
Congratulations on your decision to quit. I smoked cigarettes for over 20 years and the day I started vaping I never went back! I have now gone 128 days without cigarettes! I have found that there are a lot of different batteries that do about the same thing but others last longer than others. I started with an Ego and loved it but did not like that it would not last all day so I went to a larger battery. The other main component is the the tank or carto. I like a tight draw vs an airy draw. You will find that you will experiment with a lot of different equipment before you find what works for you. I'm still learning. Good luck to you and happy vaping!

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for the carto differences information DoogieTony. I guess I was fishing with the wrong bait. :p My fault.

What I was looking for was more along the lines of... aside from the design/function differences which you neatly reviewed, do they taste or operate differently? For example - do the wick type deliver a stronger or weaker vapor - is one known to last a greater number of hours than the other - does one consume juice at a faster rate? That's the sort of information I was fishing for... I suck at fishing. :D

Thanks,
C

Ahh...now I smell what the rock is cooking.
Well, as far as vapor production goes I would have to rate cartos and clearos about even.

When it comes to flavor a cartomizer has the advantage when compared to a stock clearomizer. The Clearos come stock with silica wick and it tends to mute flavors a bit.

I really didn't notice much of a difference in juice consumption between the two, I run through roughly 3 ml per day regardless.

The atomizer heads in clearos should last you a bit longer before they give out (assuming you clean them), Cartomizers should last ~2 weeks while Clearos should last more like a month. These are just very rough numbers and your usage may vary depending on several factors like your type of e-liquid and pg/vg ratio etc.

Both types operate by connecting them to the battery, tho some clearos will have different connection types. If you end up with the ego battery it will accept both 510 and ego connectors.
The main difference in operation is priming and filling. Cartos need to be primed before filling the dc tank, if you dont, they will get scorched and become nasty tasting trash. Clearos are a bit simpler as you can just unscrew one end fill em' up.
There are plenty of good how-to videos on youtube concerning filling/priming cartos and likewise for most clearo models.

Hope this was more helpful

EDIT: BTW, my daily beater is a vision vivi nova that's been re-wicked with cotton yarn, I feel it out preforms cartos in all aspects (this is where preference comes in)

Last edited:

CheekyChica

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Las Vegas Nevada
www.youtube.com
I've tried smoktechs DCT 3.5 carto dual coil tanks and I don't care for them. They tend to leak and the flavor of your e-juice to me is muted. They also clog fast and I was tending to spendmore timeto fiddle with it to get it work correctly than I was getting to vape with it! Its also tricky or at least till you get the hang of it to "wet" the carto. I say Kangertech products all the way! The Kanger T3S is great and the Protank is king, easy to use looks nice and vapes like you'd expect it should! Oh and flavor is max on any liquid you use! As far as batteries go, I like vision spinners 1100mah and eVic AVP. Egos are good but in the past I've had a few burn out on me fast...but thats my experience with ego batteries. A nice site to visit that sells hybrid kits is http://sweet-vapes.com

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
OK... looks like I have a bit of research to do. :blink:

bnrkwest: Egos are a great choice, what you use as a delivery system is often personal choice.
danpals2012: ego and vivi nova
metrabolic: I do not care for dual coil or smoktech brand carto's. I find that sometimes the vivi nova dull the flavor. I just ordered a few carto tanks from a supplier with boge cartos and love them. I really like my ego twist and use it daily.
The Ocelot: I frequently buy clearos and little tanks from Vapors Choice: Clearomizers
DoggieTony: Some clearomizers like your vivi nova can be "rebuilt". Well, as far as vapor production goes I would have to rate cartos and clearos about even.
When it comes to flavor a cartomizer has the advantage when compared to a stock clearomizer. The Clearos come stock with silica wick and it tends to mute flavors a bit. The atomizer heads in clearos should last you a bit longer before they give out (assuming you clean them), Cartomizers should last ~2 weeks while Clearos should last more like a month. Cartos need to be primed before filling the dc tank, if you dont, they will get scorched and become nasty tasting trash. Clearos are a bit simpler as you can just unscrew one end fill em' up.
SASmith: Speaking of wet, make sure you drink plenty of water and stay hydrated, as vaping is dehydrating. I really like my Viva Nova's, they are top coil clearomizers and produce a warm vape and the Kanger I believe is bottom coil, so it produces a cooler vape. I can personally recommend the Ego C twist.
Snkinep: I started with an Ego and loved it but did not like that it would not last all day so I went to a larger battery. The other main component is the the tank or carto. I like a tight draw vs an airy draw.
djezewski: Top coils eat up your juice faster and run a bit warmer. Bottom coil, use less juice a cooler vape.
CheekyChica: I've tried smoktechs DCT 3.5 carto dual coil tanks and I don't care for them.They tend to leak and the flavor of your e-juice to me is muted. They also clog fast and I was tending to spend more time to fiddle with it to get it work correctly than I was getting to vape with it! I say Kangertech products all the way! The Kanger T3S is great and the Protank is king, easy to use looks nice and vapes like you'd expect it should! Oh and flavor is max on any liquid you use! As far as batteries go, I like vision spinners 1100mah

Thanks for all the valuable information folks - I should be back in a day or two to let you know what I ended up with... to get me started. (I get the feeling that I'm going to have at least $500 in "vapor-paraphenalia" (vapophenalia?) in the next few weeks :vapor: )

Ciao,
C

metrabolic

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2013
Chandler, AZ
My husband and I have spent a bit of money on it, but that's because we have turned it into a hobby. You don't have to spend 500 to get a good vape. Get the basics and then build from there. Once you find something you like buy more, but make sure you have back ups. The one problem with vaping is that one day something well fail with out warning and you will be stuck.

Good luck can't wait to hear what you got!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread