Hello newbie with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asa McCollum

Feb 8, 2019
Hello thank you for having me here. I am new to vaping I recently purchased a joytech ego aio mainly to see if I enjoyed vaping and would really use it. It seems to be working fine, but a few things I do not like about it and looking to upgrade. I like the slim discreet look and feel of it, but it puts off very little flavor (may be user error) . I am not a cloud chaser, but I was hoping for much bigger flavor. I would like something that has swappable tanks so I can keep menthol and fruit and coffee flavors separated. I am thinking a temperature control may help with the flavor so leaning towards that. And I don't want to feel the need to upgrade in a month or so either, but on a limited budget so do not want to break the bank either. What would people suggest I upgrade to that may have what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for the help.

Reactions: Diver9543

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
howdy and welcome :)
Hitting all those requirements at the same time is quite difficult.
Temperature Control doesn’t really help with flavor. It’s more of a coil life and lower emissions thing. That said to hit all your points EXCEPT price, a lostvape Orion might do it. It’s a pod mod (higher long term cost) which is not cheap (higher up front cost) but it does produce more vapor, is small, has swappable pods, and has TC (sort of).

Your issue with flavor could just be a juice type or coil replacement issue. Hard to know from here.

DL type vapes can have more flavor because they vaporize a lot more juice. This means of course that you also use a lot more juice. It also means they use a lot more power to vaporize that juice which means larger batteries and therefore larger size.

Once you get out of the pod and AIO classes of devices basically all devices use a screw on connector called a 510 to connect tank and battery pack(mod). This means that by buying multiple tanks you can swap them back and forth.

• Informative
Reactions: Diver9543

Asa McCollum

Feb 8, 2019
just replaced the coil. that did a bit better but not alot better. From looking at the bottles they are marked as 70vg 30 pg with 6mg nic. and yea I am pretty much trying to get out of the pod/aio classes I think. I don't like the look of box mods because they look clunky and doesn't feel natural to me. But everything is always a trade off. not sure what dl type is I googled it but didnt find anything explaining that to one.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
just replaced the coil. that did a bit better but not alot better. From looking at the bottles they are marked as 70vg 30 pg with 6mg nic. and yea I am pretty much trying to get out of the pod/aio classes I think. I don't like the look of box mods because they look clunky and doesn't feel natural to me. But everything is always a trade off. not sure what dl type is I googled it but didnt find anything explaining that to one.
One experiment that may be worth doing is add just a couple drops of water to a tank of your juice and see if it improves matters. If it does it means your device doesn’t like thicker juices. Iirc the device you have is MTL. A 6mg juice is quite low nic for a mtl device. Such juices are often designed for DL devices.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First off, AIO (All in One) setups severely limit your ability to change you vaping experience. If you don't like the tank, you can't replace it with a better one. You are stuck with what you got.

I guess AIO setups exist for those new vapers who want the simplest design. No buttons other than the "on" switch. But you've already experienced the limitations of these simple setups.

Most AIO setups do not have variable power. Like "variable wattage" or "variable voltage". Your AIO is like cooking on a campfire. With variable wattage you'd be cooking on a gas stove. Variable wattage can be a gamechanger. You can adjust the power to the coil to increase or decrease the amount of vapor produced, change the vapor to cooler or warmer. It can also change your perception of different flavors. Most flavors taste better with either less or more wattage. Variable power gives you options.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Last edited:

Asa McCollum

Feb 8, 2019
yea i am definitly mtl. the reason i went with the 6mg is because I had quit smoking for a year, but with out the nicotine my stress level was through the roof. I tried antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds and just wasnt the same so guess what. I bought a pack of cigarettes. while i was only smoking 2 or 3 a day depending on stress level. I no longer cared for the taste and smell any more. and well i felt like a failure. So I decided what the hell lets try digital. I don't need the big nic run like i would get from coming from a pack a day smoker like i was. just need that little bit to pull me back from the edge. Actually thinking of cutting that amount in half.

Yeah wattage/temperature control they sound like they would do about the same thing for me anyway.

Next question do i have to have huge cloud chasing vapors to get good flavor? I prefer to be a bit more discreet then all that. more flavor chaser then cloud chasing.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
yea i am definitly mtl.

Next question do i have to have huge cloud chasing vapors to get good flavor? I prefer to be a bit more discreet then all that. more flavor chaser then cloud chasing.
No you don't need large clouds to get good flavor. And you won't get humongous clouds with a MTL setup anyway.

A popular MTL tank on this forum is the Innokin Zenith tank. You don't neccessarily need the Kroma mod that comes in the below starter kit. You can buy the tank separately and use the tank on about any mod you choose that allows a 25mm diameter tank.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you don’t care for the box shape you might consider a regulated tube mod like the Uwell Nunchaku. The Innokin Zenith tank would work well with it.
You could also consider the Geekvape Aegis Mini mod. Not really a box or tube form factor ... more oval in shape. Fits quite comfortably in the hand and is very pocket-friendly. Same 2200mah internal battery as the Kroma mod. Only takes half an hour to charge from empty to full. Added plus is it is nearly unbreakable -- waterproof and shockproof.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
The JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75 (a favorite of @Baditude's) would probably suit your aesthetics, and it looks lovely with an Innokin Zenith in stainless steel, but I see its price has gone up to $84.15, plus shipping, so it's probably out of the running. The Nunchaku is a lot cheaper, and @Letitia recommends it, so you know it's a good 'un.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75 (a favorite of @Baditude's) would probably suit your aesthetics, and it looks lovely with an Innokin Zenith in stainless steel, but I see its price has gone up to $84.15, plus shipping, so it's probably out of the running.
That's the reason I didn't suggest it. If price is not a factor, then yes the JAC would be a fantastic choice.
JAC Vapor series B DNA75W

images

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
That's the reason I didn't suggest it. If price is not a factor, then yes the JAC would be a fantastic choice.
JAC Vapor series B DNA75W

images
Yeah, it wasn't all that helpful of me to mention it at all. I just thought it would be perfect, were it not for its cost. (Speaking of which, I'm so glad I bought mine when the price was still discounted!)

• Love
Reactions: Baditude

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
First off, AIO (All in One) setups severely limit your ability to change you vaping experience. If you don't like the tank, you can't replace it with a better one. You are stuck with what you got.

I guess AIO setups exist for those new vapers who want the simplest design. No buttons other than the "on" switch. But you've already experienced the limitations of these simple setups.

Most AIO setups do not have variable power. Like "variable wattage" or "variable voltage". Your AIO is like cooking on a campfire. With variable wattage you'd be cooking on a gas stove. Variable wattage can be a gamechanger. You can adjust the power to the coil to increase or decrease the amount of vapor produced, change the vapor to cooler or warmer. It can also change your perception of different flavors. Most flavors taste better with either less or more wattage. Variable power gives you options.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
I have heard changing wattage affects flavor for years, but never really tried to see. I vape mtl rtas at 20 or so watts and just lowered to 9.5 watts. The only difference is the 9.5 watt takes much longer to get to temp and not as much vapor , but to me the flavor seems exactly the same. I guess it depends on certain juices, perhaps this particular flavor doesn't change that much?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
yea i am definitly mtl. the reason i went with the 6mg is because I had quit smoking for a year, but with out the nicotine my stress level was through the roof. I tried antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds and just wasnt the same so guess what. I bought a pack of cigarettes. while i was only smoking 2 or 3 a day depending on stress level. I no longer cared for the taste and smell any more. and well i felt like a failure. So I decided what the hell lets try digital. I don't need the big nic run like i would get from coming from a pack a day smoker like i was. just need that little bit to pull me back from the edge. Actually thinking of cutting that amount in half.

Yeah wattage/temperature control they sound like they would do about the same thing for me anyway.

Heh. Nicotine IS an anti-anxiety med. A pretty powerful and fast acting one even.
it’s one of the reasons I suspect that it is so hard to quit. It’s also a great reason not to start smoking.

Hmm. Something discrete, small, mtl and simple with fairly good flavor...

What about an old vapresso target mini 40w kit? They’re only good for mtl despite claims to The contrary and it is kind of a box mod, but it’s an incredibly tiny box mod. An adult male can hide the whole thing in his hand. Also they’re not particularly expensive.

The atty that comes with it works well. The only issues are it doesn’t hold a ton of power, which shouldn’t matter to you much since you’re not vaping regularly. Also the cartridges are not widely sold and unless you happen to get lucky locally you’ll have to buy them online.

I suggest the silver version over the colors. Paint peels.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
You don't need huge clouds to get good flavor.
Might like to read about flavor:
Resistance is Futile - Vapor Connection LLC | Pittsburgh's Premiere Vapor Shop & Lounge
What Ohms should I choose?
Efficiency. Thinner wire and higher resistance VS thick wire and lower resistance
Higher Resistance, Lower Wattage vs Lower Resistance, Higher Wattage
The Vaper`s Guide to Flavour Chasing: 10 Tips To Maximise Flavour
How many watts do you vape at?
I have been vaping the same internal Eleaf Istick 30W mod for3+ years and could not be happier. By using an internal battery mod, you could save money by not having to purchase:
back up batterie(s), spare battery carrying case, volt meter(s), wraps, charger(s) (backup), battery Do's and Don'ts (Much higher learning curve not to mention the batteries themselves).
Might consider two internal (To lose or break/drop) battery mods, one to charge while vaping the other.
https://www.fasttech.com/product/2305002-authentic-eleaf-istick-30w-2200mah-variable
Eleaf iStick 30W MOD
on a limited budget
The more watts you vape at, the higher your vaping costs.

The_Professor_2019

Jan 31, 2019
West Yorkshire
As far as flavour goes, I have recently gone through that learning curve as I have come back to vaping after a long break.

there are various threads where I have asked questions you will have, and the members have been kind enough to guide me, but it all breaks down into simple steps....
first vaping type...

I vape, mouth to lung, or even not inhaling, like my old pipe. So my choices are all based on this.

Atomiser type.... I prefer high resistance coils, so my choice of tank was led by that. I do not want a rebuildable atty as my daily vape, I want to fire, and go as it were. Those decisions let you know what tank to get.

As for flavour, get some spare atomisers, then if you change liquid, or burn a coil, you can quickly replace it.

Do not worry about the features of the mod. It appears that most mods have the same control. Therefor it is a cosmetic choice to begin with.

Find a middle of the road setting that does what you need, then play around with other features.

I have had a week of getting flavour right on simple variable voltage before even looking at temp control etc.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Asa McCollum, Vaporesso Drizzle kit may be a step up for you and it's relatively cheap. Then you could look for a regulated mod that you may like and all you would have to do is put the Drizzle tank on the new mod.

Vaporesso Armour Pro is interesting as it allows for use of three different sizes of batteries.

Smoant Battlestar Mini, single 18650 battery mod that's cheap and decent.

But with mouth to lung style and high ohms, you'll get a decent amount of running time from batteries.

But one of the best pieces of advice is go into a couple of vaping stores and ask to look at different mods, even ask if they can put batteries in them. So you can get a real idea of them, as once you've settled on one you'll be using it for some time to come.

And try to avoid SMOK, they're not reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread