Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you like ritual and complication RDAs might actually be the best choice for you. They will have the advantage of saving you lots and lots of money long term as well as the ashes and smell problem.

RDAs are also known as “drippers” because they hold very little liquid and you drip a bit in at a time. They use old style coils and cotton making them very cheap to run. Changing out the cotton and coils and replacing it can be ritualistic, as can the dripping.
I’m tempted to point you at a profile RDA and some sort of fairly simple mod to run it on. The profile has little screens instead of coils and can do FROM very airy MTL to full fat DL

I’ve been vaping for a long time though and I’m not as up on the newer systems as I might be though. Others may have better suggestions.

You will probably get acres of “buy this pod system or that pod system! They’re awesome!!” Pods ARE the simplest way to vape, and the entry cost is very low (unless you buy from a gas station). Their continuing costs are so high though they frequently actually rival or exceed smoking. They may be worth starting on to see if you like vaping at all. But if you keep it up youll want better stuff.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
RTAs are ritualistic alright. I had to rewick 7 or so. Bad things happened, like coils burning out and leakage.

While it's fair to say I suck at them, and I HAVE gotten better (you need have no fear, almost no one is as bad as building as me) by the time I was done my act of sitting down (to vape) was FAR more satisfying than crushing a cigarette.

Vaping IS different from smoking and there is no way around it. But it's still super so much better than smoking. I have a hard time with lighters actually. I don't even ADORE candles so much but I keep them around so I can set something on fire I guess.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: gerrymi

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Teresa...I realize everyone is different...but...I had NO thoughts of quitting when I bought my first "starter" setup...(I just figured I'd use it only in NO-Smoking restaurants/bars etc.)…

But when I found vaping to be so much more pleasurable than smoking...I easily (and quickly) switched...

My Suggestion...get a $13-$15 Justfog Minifit...and a bottle of nicotine-12 mg. ejuice...

If you find you like vaping...you'll run across many other Mods and Tanks to try as you navigate ECF...

If you find you don't like vaping...toss it out the window...and you'll only be out $25 or so...(about 3 packs of cigarettes)...

Vapecrawler

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
My wife had these very same concerns years ago, so instead of buying her a decent rta and mod, she wanted a cig a like that she could hold like a real smoke and the end actually lite up red like a real smoke. She seemed to like it and I remember seeing her flick the ash a few times, but after a couple weeks all that ended and she was vaping my rtas.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I smoke regular cigs and am considering e cigarettes. I am tired of the smell and ashes.
My question is that I am worried that I will feel like I never finished a cigarette. The "ritual" of lighting, smoking, and putting it out is part of the whole thing for me.
Any advice? Maybe I am overthinking, like I do everything else. Lol
Welcome and glad you joined.
Would not worry about the hand movements, I suspect you might want to worry more about the learning how and what to vape.
The information below may help you learn more about vaping.
Guide: The Beginners Guide to Vaping | onVaping
A Word On Vaping Technique | Nicoticket
Buying and Using an Electronic Cigarette: A Primer
wiki: vape What mod should I buy? - Google Search
Vaping: Let's Get This Out Of The Way · Vaping Links And More
Visual Learning - Beginner's guide to vaping : electronic_cigarette
reddit: the front page of the internet

• Informative

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I smoke regular cigs and am considering e cigarettes. I am tired of the smell and ashes.
My question is that I am worried that I will feel like I never finished a cigarette. The "ritual" of lighting, smoking, and putting it out is part of the whole thing for me.
Any advice?
Maybe I am overthinking, like I do everything else. Lol

@https//www.e-cigarette-forum.com/members/teresam.346285/ Vaping can be anything you want in terms of enjoyment and harm reduction. Of course, it's all about getting off the cigs at first. Once you've conquered the smoking thing the next step is to find the nic level that keeps you satisfied and not smoking. That's really the easy part.

Most people who smoked quickly find a nic level that satisfies. 18mg seems to be the starting point for most these days. I vaped 24mg juice for the first year and then started buying lower nic juices every couple of months. I quickly dropped my nic to a 3mg level. I have some 6mg juice that I keep around for when I'm going to be somewhere I can't vape openly. It's good for a quick hit here and there. Even now, 6mg seems a little on the harsh side. I can't imagine vaping 24mg again, although it was good for a couple of years after I quit smoking.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Any advice?
Maybe I am overthinking, like I do everything else. Lol

When you first quit smoking it can seem that way. Vaping doesn't quite satisfy the itch. Part of that is because cigarettes contain a bunch of other chemicals in addition to nicotine. You just have to tough it out. After a while that goes away and you can relax and enjoy vaping.

Some people can start vaping and immediately quit smoking without much effort. For others it takes a long time to switch.

There are ways of making it easier. Start slow. Don't try to quit smoking completely right away. Just replace some of your cigs with vape. Get some juice with high nicotine content. If it gets bad smoke a cig. Once you get a feel for vaping you can make better decisions for yourself. Taking it slow would also have the advantage of giving you time to check out different types of vape device and figure out what you you like best.

Bottom line: start vaping now and worry about the details later. At least you will be on the road.

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2019
I think the ritualistic aspect of it will fade as you transition to vaping. I knew I was getting sick of smoking when I found myself not even wanting to finish a whole cigarette...I just craved lighting one up and taking a few drags. I'd stub it out and finish later. I still wanted the nicotine but was done with the smoke, smell, taste etc.

With vaping you'll find a niche to occupy yourself with...Lots of devices and flavors to try, too.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread