Help a newb decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhowardpeters

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I am having a hard time deciding how to go about the liquid part. I'd like to mix it myself, and there is a great deal at myfreedomsmokes right now (500ml of 60mg. unflavored juice for $96), but it would mean spending $150 more on top of the $300 I've spent recently on new kr8 batts/accessories and the almighty Screwdriver MK1. Do I go for the great deal and figure out the flavors later or spend my money on lots of premixed samplers to figure out what I like and save the big diy purchase for later? BTW, I do have enough liquid to last a while, just not many flavors.

tmbrown327

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
RI
Samplers are great, but what you're going to find is that you have two basic categories, those that carry Dekang liquids (with or without flavor modifications) and those that mix from scratch (like Johnson Creek, Halo, Vermont Vapor, probably others). If you like Dekang flavors (either the original flavor or the value added re-mix), that'll be your cheap option. If you fall in love with a US based supplier, that's going to be tricky to reproduce.

dhowardpeters

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Samplers help you avoid turning out like most of us, with a closet full of 30 ml bottles we'll never use.

:)

Yeah, I might have already done that a little:) But if I buy unflavored nic juice, that won't happen, right? I guess I'd like feedback on the process of mixing. Not so much specific instructions (been reading lots of threads for that), but more feedback on your initial experiences with it: i.e, is mixing multiple 3ml batches a good way to figure out my tastes (vs. buying samplers). IOW, are premixed juices a fair representation of what I could expect to create myself later? If not, and if I'm gonna eventually mix myself, are premixed samplers a waste of time?

dhowardpeters

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Samplers are great, but what you're going to find is that you have two basic categories, those that carry Dekang liquids (with or without flavor modifications) and those that mix from scratch (like Johnson Creek, Halo, Vermont Vapor, probably others). If you like Dekang flavors (either the original flavor or the value added re-mix), that'll be your cheap option. If you fall in love with a US based supplier, that's going to be tricky to reproduce.

Thanks, that's what I'm getting at. So, if, financially, I need to eventually mix myself, maybe I should just start now. Falling in love with JC, Halo, etc. might be like looking at a house you could never hope to afford and everything you see after it pales by comparison. Hhhm, but what if I find that I have to spend more on the high-end stuff or never be satisfied (leading to vape failure)? Is that reason enough not to buy the great 500ml deal and buy much smaller quantities of unflavored nic juice for testing? Thinking it TO DEATH as usual:rolleyes:

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I'd try a few sample packs first. Even if you do fall in love with one of the higher-priced 100% made in the USA suppliers, it will still be much cheaper than the cigarettes you used to smoke.

Another USA supplier to take a look at would be American eLiquid Store. I just received my first order from them (review here) and am very happy with their liquid, good prices, and great customer service.

tmbrown327

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
RI
Thanks, that's what I'm getting at. So, if, financially, I need to eventually mix myself, maybe I should just start now. Falling in love with JC, Halo, etc. might be like looking at a house you could never hope to afford and everything you see after it pales by comparison. Hhhm, but what if I find that I have to spend more on the high-end stuff or never be satisfied (leading to vape failure)? Is that reason enough not to buy the great 500ml deal and buy much smaller quantities of unflavored nic juice for testing? Thinking it TO DEATH as usual:rolleyes:

Another way to look at it is, if you find something you like, whether from original producers or from factory mixers, at least you'll know what you're shooting for when you mix your own.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
I'd wait a bit with DIY, and also with buying lots of liquids, in the first month or so of vaping. Tastebuds still need to recover, and what tastes great in the first month may taste like complete crap a few weeks later (and vice versa).

In the meantime, do check out the DIY forum, that might help you decided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread