• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Help..advice needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Trapped within my imagination
Hi Ladies,

I seriously could use some advice and the womans group is the first place I thought of to ask......Here's the situation: My neighbor/best friend just got custody of her grandson ( 8 months old)..Her and her husband both have full time (pretty decent jobs)..Because they are away so much I go over there twice a week and clean for her ( approx 2-3 hrs a week for 50$ = ecig money lol)...Well now she wants me stop cleaning and start babysitting...The thing is I'll have the baby for 9 hrs a day, about 45 hrs a week... I have no idea what that would usually pay...I just know I'm not used to having a baby around..I'm going to grow attached and at 8 months He'll be into EVERYthing lol...
I don't want to charge my friend what a daycare would, shes my best friend....But at the same time I don't want them taking advantage of that fact ( as the husband is known to do)..She just now called saying hubby ok'd 125.00 a week.. And im thinking, ok you want me to drop the 50$ -2 hrs a week cleaning for 75 more dollars to take on 43 more hrs woth of work? lol.. She was all bright and bubbly> "how's that sound?"..I said umm not so good..She said ok how about 150$?..I told her I'd call her back..I don't know what to tell her or what would be reasonably fair...I sure could use some advice on this..Thanks you guys....Ivy

Ps..Background history> I'm the god mother to their children..Whom if watched over the yrs ( done their hair etc) And theres always been a struggle to get paid right...Because, I'm the "best friend/godmother..They can make me doubt if I'm being unreasonable, which i don't think I am....

Never mind ladies, I sat down and called around to several child care centers and got a general Idea..I feel a lot better now..Thanks

Last edited:

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ivy, I also had to wrestle with the childcare issue and the loss of freedom inherent with the endeavor. My children are grown and because I'm retired my free time is often requested to ease another's burden. I normally do not mind. But full time childcare removes the freedom to engage in social functions or even visiting a physician when ill. This is a life-changing event and I suggest treading carefully. Good luck with your choice whichever it may be.;)

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
I agree ladyraj,, And I only considered it because the full time need will only be for a month until she switches to nights...Then only a few hrs so she can sleep...Otherwise theyd have to pay me a looota $ to change my life indefinitely like that lol

I need time to paint... that would leave me nooone lol

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I am 58 and wouldn't do it! I love the grands to peices, but I only do a week each in the summer and 1 week together in the winter..a few days on weekends if the boys really need a grandma/grandpa fix the rest of the year. I would never sit with kids again full time! My daughter had surgery a couple months after oldest boy was born and I took him up here. Never again!
I used to sit with kids as a young mother. It was demanding and too hard to work around shopping, Dr.'s and anylife at all. They dropped them off at 7am and then..often went to dinner before getting the kids! called on weekends to get a sitter and generally tried to guilt me to death. Not worth the hassle. By the way..they were our best friends and a work mate of hubby's.

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Go to dinner before picking up the kids?! eeck lol...I got a mouth on me if pushed, friend or not...She knows me too well :: lil laugh::...But yes, I agree..With your own grandbaby that would be much harder...:: pause::..
nahhhh..My son knows me too well too ..I'd be all > :: head movin side to side with attitude:: > "You best come get your daughter/son or I'm going to punk her/his hair out in blue spikes and pierce her/his nose!"....He'd laugh his a** off but, he'd high tail it home lmao

( funny thing is.. I probably would do it up in spikes and put a lil magnetic nose piercing in just to mess with em lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread