HELP! Can I use my flat-top 18650 batts in my proVari V2??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
No. Never do that. Ever. (use flat tops)

Order some genuine AW IMR button tops from RTD...

RTD Vapor AW Batteries

You can also order them direct from Provape with your mod and take advantage of the free shipping. They are a buck or two more from Provape, but the non-shipping makes it a wash, and they arrive with your mod, so you wont have a device without batteries, which is a nightmare scenario!

Contact provape right now and add a few batts to the order, they will take care of you.

Last edited:

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Edd - too late. Good news tho, the order is already 'processed or shipped' & can't be changed. I just emailed Randy at RTD & asked him which IMRs he would recommend (size wise) for this. It was to hard for me to tell which were flat or button.....I need the 18490 & the 18650. I can't tell if I'm more excited or nervous - guess both!

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Edd - too late. Good news tho, the order is already 'processed or shipped' & can't be changed. I just emailed Randy at RTD & asked him which IMRs he would recommend (size wise) for this. It was to hard for me to tell which were flat or button.....I need the 18490 & the 18650. I can't tell if I'm more excited or nervous - guess both!

@ Edd.....My bad - I didn't scroll down far enough on the page - thanks again. :)

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Thank you for asking. A double thanks for listening. Glad to help. All I know was taught to me by patient folks here. Just passing it along.

Edd - I ordered 2 Panasonic IMR 18650s & 2 Efest IMR 18640s from RTD. I'm so glad I noticed button top mentioned on the mini, soooo just thought I'd ask. I always listen - nothing like finally receiving a Cadillac & not being given the key to start it.
You are totally awesome & I can't thank you enough!! Now the waiting begins......;)

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
moishesmao,

I think you will find that ProVape recommends ONLY AW IMR Button Top batteries. There are a few brands they warn against. You might want to post to ProVape and ask if the batteries you ordered are approved.

I seem to remember some saying no to the Panasonics and ProVape saying no to the Efest. don't take my word as Gospel but I would check with ProVape. Also watch what vendors other than ProVape say are OK.

Regards,

PS - I know batteries shouldn't be a big deal but ProVape is pretty specific on this issue.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
This is a question I would like to hear Thrasher or Technonut's (sp?) opinion on.

I think I know what Baditude will say, which is what I say. The site for Provape says specifically to use AW IMRs. The owner's manual PDF, however only says IMR. So it may be these batteries are fine.

Only genuine AW IMR batteries, for me at least, mainly because I know they are safe and don't have the energy to do the research Thrasher has on batteries. To me there is no reason to risk anything, I only use AW IMRs.

EDIT: OP--I sent PMs to both of them, please check in for their responses.

Last edited:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Edd - I ordered 2 Panasonic IMR 18650s & 2 Efest IMR 18640s from RTD. I'm so glad I noticed button top mentioned on the mini, soooo just thought I'd ask. I always listen - nothing like finally receiving a Cadillac & not being given the key to start it.
You are totally awesome & I can't thank you enough!! Now the waiting begins......;)

Which Panasonics did you order? I think you meant 18350's for the Efest, which will work in a Mini, but will suffer in battery life, and are not as good as the AW IMRs... ANY battery, either 18650, 18350, or 18490 (18500) must be button tops..

I'm kind of confused.. Which ProVari are you getting? A standard takes the 18490 (18500) or an 18650 with an extension. The Mini takes the 18350's, or 18490 (18500) with extension..

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Wow....talk about not knowing what I'm doing! I just sent an email to RTD & asked Randy to cancel my order; hope he catches it in time as he ships quick. I ordered a ProVari V2 with a 18650 extension. I saw nothing about using ONLY AW batts....I am expecting to pick up my new glasses next week, but I honestly didn't see that. The only reason a mini was mentioned was that I caught the description saying to use button top batts - that's what got me wondering about the trillion of Panasonic flat tops waiting for my new conquest. Boy, I've really messed this up.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
AW IMRs don't HAVE to be used..IMR batteries do. ProVape does recommend them though, and found them to work best with the ProVari. Other IMRs may differ in length also, so one must be careful of that. That's another reason AW IMR's are a good bet on top of the performance they offer.. ;) Right on the ProVari page ProVape states: ProVari Variable Voltage Ecig: Best Variable Voltage E Cig Available!

We recommend only using AW IMR high drain batteries in your ProVari

Hopefully, you can get your order straightened out.. :)

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Wow....talk about not knowing what I'm doing! I just sent an email to RTD & asked Randy to cancel my order; hope he catches it in time as he ships quick. I ordered a ProVari V2 with a 18650 extension. I saw nothing about using ONLY AW batts....I am expecting to pick up my new glasses next week, but I honestly didn't see that. The only reason a mini was mentioned was that I caught the description saying to use button top batts - that's what got me wondering about the trillion of Panasonic flat tops waiting for my new conquest. Boy, I've really messed this up.

I wouldn't feel to bad if I was you... I got so excited when I purchased my Provari I entered the wrong shipping address. Then spent the next 24 hours worrying, pouting, and sending begging emails to ProVape support to help correct the problem before it was shipped to Outer Mongolia or some other easily accessible place.

BUT even though ProVape found my emails soaked in tears humorous they corrected the problem for me and it didn't even cause a shipping delay. "Their is a God" ;)

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I suspect Randy can straighten this out for you.

I have eight AW IMRs (some 18650s and some 18490s), and they are all excellent batteries and have served me well. I have had two of them over a year and they have shown no signs of loss of life. I know they are a little more expensive and the mAh looks lower than some others, but the mAh is a deceptive number at times, I think Technonut showed me one article and someone else another, that showed that the mAh is almost a made up number for some brands of batteries, and only one of many factors to consider in battery purchase.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
AW IMRs don't HAVE to be used..IMR batteries do. ProVape does recommend them though, and found them to work best with the ProVari. Other IMRs may differ in length also, so one must be careful of that. That's another reason AW IMR's are a good bet on top of the performance they offer.. ;) Right on the ProVari page ProVape states: ProVari Variable Voltage Ecig: Best Variable Voltage E Cig Available!
Hopefully, you can get your order straightened out.. :)

No, never saw that. I did see 'clearance'. I truly appreciate all the help here - THANK YOU!!

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
I suspect Randy can straighten this out for you.

I have eight AW IMRs (some 18650s and some 18490s), and they are all excellent batteries and have served me well. I have had two of them over a year and they have shown no signs of loss of life. I know they are a little more expensive and the mAh looks lower than some others, but the mAh is a deceptive number at times, I think Technonut showed me one article and someone else another, that showed that the mAh is almost a made up number for some brands of batteries, and only one of many factors to consider in battery purchase.

Phew...Randy caught the order & canceled it, what a great guy. I ordered 2 AW IMR18650 & 1 AW IMR18490 from Provape, as Randy is out of stock on the 18490s. Then I ordered 2 more of the 18650s from Randy - had to, as he's a love & I felt bad.

I didn't know that the maH differed that much between batts, only that some were recommended more then others. Now please tell me that my Intellicharger i2 is ok for these batts.

EddardinWinter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Phew...Randy caught the order & canceled it, what a great guy. I ordered 2 AW IMR18650 & 1 AW IMR18490 from Provape, as Randy is out of stock on the 18490s. Then I ordered 2 more of the 18650s from Randy - had to, as he's a love & I felt bad.

I didn't know that the maH differed that much between batts, only that some were recommended more then others. Now please tell me that my Intellicharger i2 is ok for these batts.

I have that very charger. It has proven quite reliable. You will find the springs for it is a bit stiff at first, and a bit of oil could prove useful.

Tapped out

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Glad it all worked out.. :) Your charger is just fine... :) Now, be sure to tell us how everything goes when you receive everything..

I can't possibly thank you (everyone) enough nor can I contain my excitement. If this one is as great as I'm hoping, there could be a mini in my future; just love the pattern. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :toast: :vapor: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread