• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Help fight cancer with F@H! join team ECF today!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiesel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2009
Maryland
Hehe ... well, the purpose of the project isn't really to provide a pretty and candy like gui. ;) It's what is running in the background that's important.

Ohhhhh you mean the fold@home's geweee looks the same on both platforms... I thought you meant Windows looks like OSX...
Still UNFORGIVABLE!!! lol!!
P.S. I just caught your crack about "pretty candy gui"...... OUTRAGE!!!!

Tiesel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2009
Maryland
tmcase:
From a tech's POV a few things would be helpful:
What OS are you running? I believe this application was written for OSX.7 being Lion.
Machine Type/Year/Specs.. Most important this application was designed for Intel based processors and will only run properly on such. So if your mac is a few years old and running the old G4 based processors, it will not work.. Let me know and I will be happy to help the best I can.

Tiesel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2009
Maryland
After doing some research I have found that this application scans your hardware and auto determines the WU (work unit/work load). The faster/more powerful your machine the larger WU it assigns you. All of these WU's are pieces and the main application tries to divide the WU's appropriately between the cycles (you) it has available to meet its deadlines so the groups (your cycle is part of a small group) are done within deadline and together. Furthermore it does waste cycles on multiple devices incase one device (you) were to not finish (power down, ISP failure, ect ect) so that in case of a node failure the WU would be completed regardless..

In short: The more powerful your computer, the higher/longer/more complex WU you receive.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
tmcase:
From a tech's POV a few things would be helpful:
What OS are you running? I believe this application was written for OSX.7 being Lion.
Machine Type/Year/Specs.. Most important this application was designed for Intel based processors and will only run properly on such. So if your mac is a few years old and running the old G4 based processors, it will not work.. Let me know and I will be happy to help the best I can.

Windows XP Professional
Dell/yr ?/ specs Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Not using MAC.

Does any of this help?

Since I rebooted my CPU usage dropped from 100% to 50% which is where I set it to so I think everything is ok now except I'd rather be working on a cancer project. That's what I selected.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Terry, let it finish the wu you already have. You probably got it before your preference. Your next one will probably be the kind you want.

You did click save after you choose your cancer preference, right?

Yeah, I don't think I have much choice but to let it finish but at the rate it's working I'll be dust in my grave before it's done. :(

Yes, I saved it.

Tiesel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2009
Maryland
Windows XP Professional
Dell/yr ?/ specs Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Not using MAC.

Does any of this help?

Since I rebooted my CPU usage dropped from 100% to 50% which is where I set it to so I think everything is ok now except I'd rather be working on a cancer project. That's what I selected.

Holy moly XP... I remember those days.. The cold war was going on right? haha just kidding...
If you set it too 50% then ya thats fine.. If you left it where it was at 100% it would still be able to function fine.. This application takes a background to your OS functions.. So even if its using 100% the CPU could say oh I need more power to open this new page on IE or whatever browser you are using faster than you could count from 1 to 2 in your head.. Needless to say very fast within a millisecond.

Your second question.. This is all related to cancer... So for example I have been working on "Protein G" or your "antibiotic" a delivery system.. It would be just as important to be working on say "Biology Sample 1334A" that might be a plant from asia that may lead to something that cures cancer.. More importantly (what we are doing here) may lead to something, that leads to something, that leads to something, that leads to something, act, that cure cancer... Make sense? Don't be discouraged though! Even though we may be only working on a precursor to the cure for cancer, we are still non the less helping to find the cure for cancer!

Last edited:

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
new titles:
Marob
beebopnjazz
Caridwen
sjkader
Dusty_D

yetE9.jpg

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Holy moly XP... I remember those days.. The cold war was going on right? haha just kidding...
If you set it too 50% then ya thats fine.. If you left it where it was at 100% it would still be able to function fine.. This application takes a background to your OS functions.. So even if its using 100% the CPU could say oh I need more power to open this new page on IE or whatever browser you are using faster than you could count from 1 to 2 in your head.. Needless to say very fast within a millisecond.

Your second question.. This is all related to cancer... So for example I have been working on "Protein G" or your "antibiotic" a delivery system.. It would be just as important to be working on say "Biology Sample 1334A" that might be a plant from asia that may lead to something that cures cancer.. More importantly (what we are doing here) may lead to something, that leads to something, that leads to something, that leads to something, act, that cure cancer... Make sense? Don't be discouraged though! Even though we may be only working on a precursor to the cure for cancer, we are still non the less helping to find the cure for cancer!

Hey...don't knock XP. It's been good to me. Why pay for an upgrade that might not work as well. :) No offense taken.

I see what you are getting at with the analogy. No matter what it's doing, I'm sure it can only help.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Then try using 85% of cpu rather than 50%. It will run faster then. If you do this then remember to save and then re-boot.

If I go higher than 50% my PC will heat up and I'll have to listen to that annoying fan all the time. I'll leave it at 50% for now. :)

I shouldn't have to reboot after every save. :confused:

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
Awesome!!!! I downloaded and am running as we speak:):) My mother fought against cancer when I was younger and she has been in remission for over 15 yrs, so this kinda just seemed like a no brainer to me to help as well. Makes me feel like I am helping even if it isn't as directly as I may want:)

Go Swarley's mom! I think nearly EVERYONE has been affected by cancer directly in some shape or form so it is definitely a fight we are ALL called to whether we like it or not. This is an excellent way to help research ... and it doesn't really cost you an extra dime.

Swarley

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Nor Cal
Go Swarley's mom! I think nearly EVERYONE has been affected by cancer directly in some shape or form so it is definitely a fight we are ALL called to whether we like it or not. This is an excellent way to help research ... and it doesn't really cost you an extra dime.

THANK YOU from my mother and I!!!!!!!

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Then try using 85% of cpu rather than 50%. It will run faster then. If you do this then remember to save and then re-boot.

Ok, FYI....I increased CPU usage to 85% because the program wasn't doing anything, saved and then exited the program. Restarted the program and the change took effect, no need to reboot. Fan did increase though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread