Status
Not open for further replies.

Starchild47

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2010
Tennessee
Hey all
My brother is on a military base in Afghanastan. I want to send a care package of homemade goodies for Christmas this year. I have never done this before. I know it takes quite some time to get stuff over there and I will be limited on what I can send that won't spoil etc. Is there any way to pack dry ice or any suggestions to help get stuff there without it going bad? Any special shipping suggestions?
My dad wants us to go together and send a really nice thing for him this year since he will be alone.
Thanks so much for any help you can give me!
Kim

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
the military postal system is sometimes very slow .. especially in the region your brother is at.. yes you are limited as to what you can send... I think the best thing (which I think is a requirement as well) is non perishable items... dry ice is definitely not acceptable. chips, candies, (not chocolate..it will melt), cookies, slim jims, etc should be alright.

you will have to fill out a customs form even though you will be sending it domestic USPS... care package / snacks or something of that nature would be enough for the description...

you can send it priority, but first class will get there around the same time. I would suggest sending it with in the next 2 weeks (preferably a bit earlier) if you plan on the package to make it there by Christmas. (just to be safe.. it could take 1 week or 3 weeks depending on the trek)

Trust me no matter what you send, I am sure he will be happy just to have a package to open.. so don't stress too much on extravagant gifts... anything that will remind him of home would be a plus.

LGD

Darkwitless

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2010
KY
Do you know if he has access to a microwave? I know when my cousin and best friend's kid were deployed they loved microwave soup and ravioli, socks were really big for some reason, stamps, baggies (so they could put stuff in them to stay sand free), batteries for their ipods, mp3 players, radios, book lights etc., snack packs of nuts and trail mix, wet wipes (this was a big request!) and current sports magazines.

The following is from an email a military wife friend of mine sent concerning her hub's deployment a couple of weeks ago:

Any type of individual drink mixes *Crystal Lite, Gatorade, Kool-Aid, ect* if you can dump it into a bottle of water and not have to add anything thats what they want.

Snacks, anything that ships well and won't melt on the way over or get crumbled. They love beef jerky and no-bake cookies if you feel up to it :)

Any type of cheapy *kids* toys....They love sillyputty *I know weird* squirt-guns, nerf balls, hacky-sacs...You name it that a 8 year old boy would want, they want it!

Any shower/bathroom supply...Deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, baby wipes (sometimes they can't shower due to longer missions away from base) softer toilet paper (I've heard its not the greatest over there) Anything really! I've heard that if you got to a dentist office most are willing to donate what samples they have, which is great because it gives the guys a variety to choice from.

Letters, even if you don't know the guys or Jxxxx they love to hear support from fellow Americans!

Any type of fragrance is GREATLY needed...I've been told it smells horrible in Afghanistan and they don't really have any way to escape it at the moment. I think that any type of gel or mist would be best. Anything you think could mask the smell of a horrible country and tons of stinky men all in one room...Think small and convenient anything that doesn't need to be plugged in, lit, you get the point.

I'm sure there is tons more but those are just a few of the things Jxxxxx told me the guys are wanting right now.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
pretty much whats been said already...get it out asap. shipping takes forever to get to them.

Ummm...well heres my hubbies Xmas list, he is deployed right now too. Maybe it will help.
1 nice towel, socks, 2 nice civilian shirts for lib(lol ok he more needed the clothing stuff)
a good work watch
2 psp games, and 1 psp movie
Black Gerber multi tool and accessories set(if your brother doesnt have one, be good to get him basically all military use them and convent them)
fushigi (that contact juggling ball thing...hubby thought it was neat)
suduko puzzle book
water balloons
2 pounds of jerky
bunch of candy nerds, starbursts, burtz beans game thingy
course handmade cards, drawing from the kids, n sweetnothings
photos of me and the kids
and I'm forgetting something 0_o

But I got it all into two packages. cost me about 12 to ship.

HappyHooligan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2010
Welsh, LA
A few tips for shipping stuff from some one who is in Afgnanistan.
the mail will slow down the closer to christmas it gets so sending early is good.
We are getting past the point that melting is much of a problem so home made fudge should be ok.
The big thing is to be carefull how you pack the stuff in the box, somethimes they get treated pretty rough by the time they get here.
and yes we love toys, the military is proof that boys never grow up. and the longer we are away the more easily entertained we are. :p

Truthfully for most of us, it doesn't really matter too much what is in the box, its just always cool to get one.

As for the post office stuff. you can do the customs form online and print it at home, and the Post office has flat rate military boxes just for shipping over here. that I think are a little bigger than the other flat rate box for the same price.

Hooligan

Last edited:

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
If you pack anything homemade, use a vacuum sealer before sending and it will keep longer. Fudge I think would be iffy, might make if fine in the cooler weather, might pass though Saudi and melt. Peanut Brittle or the like would probably do fine. Any type of biscotti except for fruit would be perfect, it can keep up to a month.

Socks are popular because the dust and sand gets EVERYwhere causing faster wear, and it can get pretty cold there, especially at night. I've heard that stocking caps are very popular in that area too, as helmet liners during the cold.

Definitely things to keep them busy, reading material, hand held games, etc. Their lives pretty well consist of hurry up and wait.

Keep in mind that pork products aren't allowed, and definitely no Maxim magazine. :laugh:

Starchild47

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2010
Tennessee
Thanks everyone soo sooo much for all the advice, ideas and help in general. This has been so much help and wonderful! You have been so great to take the time to help me and have been a great help in giving me some wonderful ideas as to what I need to get, etc. I have been really busy getting things together so that I can get his things ready to go out for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread