Help. How to mix different nicotine strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
I need a little help. I am currently reducing my nicotine level. I find that 8mg is just about right but most vendors don't offer this strength so my options are 6mg and 12mg. I don't want to drop to 6mg because I've dropped from 18mg in just four weeks (since I started vaping), but I would rather not go any higher than 8mg either.

So, what I'm after is a simple mathematic formula I can follow using 0mg nicotine juices to dilute higher strengths. This will help as I continue to reduce also. My maths is awful and I'm sure I'm going to make myself look terribly stupid in about 30 seconds but, I think I have a formula figured out. Can someone here let me know if I'm on the right track. I'll try and explain it as best as I can.

Say I mix two bottles, one in 12mg and one in 0mg, obviously I get 6mg. Essentially I add the nicotine (12mg) and divide by the amount of bottles (2), 12/6=6. Does this work as a principle? For example, if I mixed two 12mg bottles with one 0mg bottle, would I work out the resulting nicotine mg by adding the 12mg bottles (24mg) and dividing by the number of bottles (3) which would be 24/3=8. So that would be 8mg?

Please feel free to fall off your chair laughing if I'm wrong. I really wouldn't embarrass myself by asking but the question is far too complicated for my friend Google.

Am I hugely over complicating something that is relatively simple? Eeek.

Reactions: zoiDman

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
This should work - and it's totally accurate and flexible.
But you have to first get this: how many ML's x how many mg/ml = actual mgs of nicotine.
Got that? A 30 ml bottle of 12 mg/ml strength has IN IT, 30x12 = 360 mgs of nic.
OKay?

Now - to see what you're going to land on, add up the TOTAL NIC (mg) and divide by the TOTAL LIQUID (ml) and you get the total mg/ml. Doesn't matter if it's 30 ml bottles or 10 ml bottles - this math will work...

Examples:
30 mls of 12 mg/ml juice is 360 mg nic
30 mls of 6 mg/ml juice is 180 mg nic.
Add them together, you have 360+180 nic, in 60 mls of juice.
540/60 = 9mg strength.

Your "two 12's and a zero" would be:
60 mls x 12 = 720 mg nic
30 mls x 0 = 0 nic
Add them together, you have 720 nic in 90 mls
720/90 = 8 mg strength
Yep, you're right!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Please feel free to fall off your chair laughing if I'm wrong. I really wouldn't embarrass myself by asking but the question is far too complicated for my friend Google.

Am I hugely over complicating something that is relatively simple? Eeek.

Trust Me. You are going to have to Come Up with something a Lot Crazier than this to get people Falling Off Chairs laughing.

;)

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
This should work - and it's totally accurate and flexible.
But you have to first get this: how many ML's x how many mg/ml = actual mgs of nicotine.
Got that? A 30 ml bottle of 12 mg/ml strength has IN IT, 30x12 = 360 mgs of nic.
OKay?

Now - to see what you're going to land on, add up the TOTAL NIC (mg) and divide by the TOTAL LIQUID (ml) and you get the total mg/ml. Doesn't matter if it's 30 ml bottles or 10 ml bottles - this math will work...

Examples:
30 mls of 12 mg/ml juice is 360 mg nic
30 mls of 6 mg/ml juice is 180 mg nic.
Add them together, you have 360+180 nic, in 60 mls of juice.
540/60 = 9mg strength.

Your "two 12's and a zero" would be:
60 mls x 12 = 720 mg nic
30 mls x 0 = 0 nic
Add them together, you have 720 nic in 90 mls
720/90 = 8 mg strength
Yep, you're right!
Me and my brain have spent FAR too long on this tonight. Finally, after a hundred different little equations using lots of different strengths and mls I finally came to the conclusion that YES I am right. It does work providing equal parts are used. A way simpler way of explaining is that any number of strengths can be mixed together. The total strengths are then added up and divided by the number of parts.

E.g 3mg + 12mg + 24mg (all equal amounts) = 39mg/3 (amount of parts) = 13mg

Phew.

I much prefer your method Train2. It doesn't matter if equal parts are not used. It's more flexible. I like it!

Thanks for taking the time to explain (and to attempt to decipher my meandering attempt at mathematics).

Reactions: Train2

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Yep, you got it!!
You're exactly right - our approaches are exactly the SAME if you're using equal parts - so you definitely understand it!

Next step, true "DIY" juice :D:D:D - but don't worry, for THAT, you use a calculator!

I use ejuicemeup - plug in what you want (PG/VG ratio, strength, flavor percentage) and what you have (nic base strength, etc) and it tells you how much of each ingredient to use. I mix my own liquid, and 30 mls costs me about $1.70....

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Yep, you got it!!
You're exactly right - our approaches are exactly the SAME if you're using equal parts - so you definitely understand it!

Next step, true "DIY" juice :D:D:D - but don't worry, for THAT, you use a calculator!

I use ejuicemeup - plug in what you want (PG/VG ratio, strength, flavor percentage) and what you have (nic base strength, etc) and it tells you how much of each ingredient to use. I mix my own liquid, and 30 mls costs me about $1.70....

Agreed,
Waxxiii have you ever thought about DIY ?

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
Agreed,
Waxxiii have you ever thought about DIY ?
Actually, I had thought it and dismissed it but now.. hhmm, maybe I could give it a shot. I'm a total perfectionist so I know I would stop meddling until I had me some kick ... juice.

Is it a difficult process? Where would/should I source the ingredients from?

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
Yep, you got it!!

That is DAMN cheap! Do you find that you prefer your own juice to others? How long have you been doing it and did you have to put up with some terrible stuff before you perfected it?

I can see this vaping thing running away with me. I've been vaping for maybe five weeks and already I NEED a box mod I can sub ohm on, I'm working up to trying dripping and now DIY juice in the pipeline. Ha. I have an addictive personality. I should have known this would happen.

Reactions: Train2

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Actually, I had thought it and dismissed it but now.. hhmm, maybe I could give it a shot. I'm a total perfectionist so I know I would stop meddling until I had me some kick ... juice.

Is it a difficult process? Where would/should I source the ingredients from?
If you have ever cooked, using measuring, same principle just smaller measuring amounts.
DIY E-Liquid Concentrated Flavoring
couple of these & a few 3ml 30ml Luer Lock Syringe
FlavourArt Concentrated Flavorings, Partners with FlavourArt
120 mL EU Sourced Nicotine (100 mg USP/EP)
http://..................../ start with simple 2 flavor recipes till you know how strong each flavor is, you don't have to mix as high % as some of these recipes call for.Your RDA will be the perfect tasting tester for each mix, not having to take a tank apart to test each recipe.
You need to figure your mixes with this eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I got lucky, or maybe I've got easy-to-please tastes? But right away, I liked vaping my own DIY juice.
Within a month or two, I kind of settled in to making big batches of one flavor that I still vape every day - and it's been over a year. I tweak a little here and there, and slowly lower the nic and flavor concentration - so slowly I don't even notice, lol.

I recommend Nude Nicotine or may Wizard Labs for nicotine concentrate.
I recommend Essential Depot (direct or on Amazon) for PG and VG.
I buy my flavorings direct from The Flavor Apprentice - but that's just me.
And I also like ejuicemeup as a calculator - but I think it's only for PC. There are also website calculators or apps if you're on an i-thingy.

It's not hard AT ALL.
You can start with a couple simple recipes you'd like to make, buy the basics:
Nic concentrate, PG, VG
Some empty bottles
Some syringes (that's how I measure - 1 ml and 3ml or 5ml should get you started)
I spent about $70 and started mixing - and that included some flavors and some glassware (pipettes and such) that I never ended up using...

That is DAMN cheap! Do you find that you prefer your own juice to others? How long have you been doing it and did you have to put up with some terrible stuff before you perfected it?

I can see this vaping thing running away with me. I've been vaping for maybe five weeks and already I NEED a box mod I can sub ohm on, I'm working up to trying dripping and now DIY juice in the pipeline. Ha. I have an addictive personality. I should have known this would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread