HELP! I need some good guesses from a chemist or seasoned home-extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tona Aspsusa

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Finland
I chronicled my last extraction experiments here.
Basically I did a 48h steep of tobacco in five different mediums: VG, Aq.Glyr, H2O, 60% alcohol and 96% alcohol.

During this process something very very weird happened: When I re-filtered my precious drops through a syringe with some cotton wool in it, the 96% alcohol became very cloudy, and the smell changed from overpoweringly alcohol-y to nicely tobacco-y.

WTF happened there???

I added quite some water after this, let it evaporate away, and am left with an uniformly opaque yellow liquid:
2z6v9l0.jpg

The bottle to the right is the VG extraction (also filtered first through a coffee filter and then through cotton wool in a syringe).

The 60% alcohol also became cloudy/opaque-ish when filtered through the cotton wool, but not quite as opaque, more of a cloudy thing (that settles a bit when it stands, this is newly shaken):
1o0rxt.jpg

The comparison bottle here (on the left) is the Aq Glyr extraction.

(Sorry for the crappy pics - it is really hard to get accurate pictures, I tried to choose pics that most reflect what I see but the light, the crappy phone camera and the plastic material of the bottles makes this really hard to catch.)

What happened here, and do I dare try these extracts in a mix?

Should I perhaps try to filter out the cloudyness? With what?
When it comes to the 60% alc I could perhaps get some of it out by letting it stand and them skim/pour, but the 96% seems extremely uniformly opaque even after standing undisturbed for 18 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread