Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
I recently started using a Kanger Protank 2 mini on my eGo and eGo twist bats... and I'm frying the coils in a day or less. Seriously. I just replaced a coil this morning and it was toast before midnight, which of course seems to not be right.

I've been vaping 100% VG (Johnson Creek: Gold Reserve), which I assume is part of the problem. And I'd expected shorter coil-life with VG juice. But nothing like this. I vape pretty heavily, but TBH I feel that I have to be doing something wrong; I just don't know what. When dissembled I can see that the coil is very black and sticky.

To get the Kanger atomizer (2.2ohm) to feed properly I've had to remove one of the top wicks (leaving the coiled wick and one extra).

The coils just stop firing, completely. Putting in a new atomizer solves the problem, but again for less than a day and then: fried again.

What can I do to prevent this? What am I not doing or doing wrong? Can I get these coils to fire again?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Sounds like they're seriously gunked from the VG and maybe the flavor. As the crud gets deposited on the coil, you might find yourself turning up the voltage to get any vapor. (On your Twist, of course. The plain eGo is a fixed voltage of course.) Since you're getting so little vapor, you draw longer and longer, which keeps power to the coil longer and longer. Too long and you can pop the coil, and if that's happened, you need to replace with a new one.

But if the coil is still intact, you can try a thorough clean and dry burn of the head. Done properly, that can restore it to nearly new condition. I find the flavor wicks are generally not re-useable, and replace with cotton yarn. With 100 % VG, you may not need them at all. Or just one, as you have done.

This vid is a pretty decent (and comparatively short!) one of the dry burn process: How to Clean & Dry Burn... Kanger ProTank - YouTube

While it's done for a ProTank1, the process is similar for all the bottom coil units.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
VG will not gunk up your coils--as a matter of fact, I use unflavored PG/VG to "wet burn" my coils--pour some in a tank, increase voltage a bit and vape until the juice in the tank runs clear. You may need to repeat this procedure if the coils are very dirty. It's the additives like sweeteners and colorings and flavorings that are responsible for the coil gunk. Some NETs are also coil-unfriendly.

If your coils look anything like that, they will not fire. ;)

newold.jpg

If you vape dark/sweet juices, you'll have to clean your coils frequently--every time you empty your tank. You may soak them in PGA (or vodka or denture/retainer cleaning solution) or even very hot/boiling water. Dry burning helps when the coil is in a really bad shape.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Far be it for me to dispute the pro ;) but VG is a sweetener. I tried to find a definition of it that wasn't all scientificy and found this:

vegetable glycerin safety
Vegetable glycerin is also known as vegetable glycerol. It is a carbohydrate that is usually derived from plant oils. It is used as a sweetener and as an ingredient in a number of cosmetic products. Vegetable glycerin is also used in place of alcohol to extract botanicals. Citation

Vegetable glycerin based E-liquid usually contain at least 80% and as much as 92% Vegetable glycerin. This is the ingredient that produces the smoke like vapor when the e-cigarette is exhaled. Approximately 20% of all e-liquids on the market today are vegetable glycerin based. Vegetable glycerin typically produces more vapor production then propylene glycol, but has reduced throat hit. It is also slightly more viscous (thicker) and slightly sweeter then propylene glycol. Its increased thickness makes it a culprit in reducing the life of atomizers. Some e-smokers use a blend of vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol - most often 80-90% PG and 10-20% VG, and sometimes a 50/50 split VG to PG in their e-liquid.

- See more at: The safety of vegetable glycerin (VG) when inhaled through an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette). Studies on the effect of the inhalation of vegetable glycerin through a personal vaporizer.

If it's sweet and thick it's bound to gunk up your coils fast. I agree that flavorings, especially the darker ones and ones with oil, and added sweetener will contribute to gunky coils also.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It is also slightly more viscous (thicker) and slightly sweeter then propylene glycol. Its increased thickness makes it a culprit in reducing the life of atomizers. Some e-smokers use a blend of vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol - most often 80-90% PG and 10-20% VG, and sometimes a 50/50 split VG to PG in their e-liquid.[/COLOR]

If it's sweet and thick it's bound to gunk up your coils fast. I agree that flavorings, especially the darker ones and ones with oil, and added sweetener will contribute to gunky coils also.

Far be it for me to dispute a fellow pro, but anything with "glyco" or "gluco" in its name is a sugar molecule. From Greek glukeros--sweet. And that goes for propylene glycol and glycerine.

A sugar molecule is a sugar molecule. :D

Yes, VG is more viscous than PG and it needs to be diluted to proper vaping consistency, but other than that, they both behave in a similar manner--in vaping. I have a dripping atty that is several months old and has only been cleaned with VG/PG blend. Nothing else--never dry burned. It's still going strong and the coil is clean.

At least, it has been my experience. YMMV.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Far be it for me to dispute a fellow pro, but anything with "glyco" or "gluco" in its name is a sugar molecule. From Greek glukeros--sweet. And that goes for propylene glycol and glycerine.

Yes, VG is more viscous than PG and it needs to be diluted to proper vaping consistency, but other than that, they both behave in a similar manner--in vaping. I have a dripping atty that is several months old and has only been cleaned with VG/PG blend. Nothing else--never dry burned. It's still going strong and the coil is clean.

:lol: I knew you were going to come back and bite me in the :censored:

Well, I only use VG so I know what it does to my coils but I also add a little sweetener. Maybe I vape more than you. :unsure: I have a mod in my hand all the time except when eating, sleeping & showering so that could be why I only get 1 day out of a carto. :D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
No biting allowed. :D

I rarely vape 100% VG--I don't tolerate it well. The few 100% VG ejuices that I do vape are thin--I almost always add a drop or two of distilled water (per ml) to dilute them. The dripping atty I mentioned is not being used very often--just for sampling new juices. :blush:

So I really defer to your vast knowledge and expertise on the subject. :)

Last edited:

Glycerol is actually a sugar alcohol, not directly a sugar. Metabolic pathways are much different.

Just like ethane, which is kind of nasty, and ethanol, which is nice over the rocks, there are chemical differences between them.

I've never noticed that glycerine gunks a coil (I use 50% in my DIY mix), whereas I would never add table sugar (which would be happy to turn to nice, gunky caramel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread