Help! Making a Li-Ion batt pack, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Survivalism

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Aurora, Colorado
Ok so i am making a custom battery pack for a 12 volt situation, my plan so far is to use 18650 3.7 volt 2400 mah protected li ions.

Im going to put 4 in series, and then 4 packs in paralel

This will give me a 14.8 volt 9200 MAH pack, ill then use a voltage regulator to drop the voltage to 12 volts.

Now to my questions...

If u use protected batteries do i still need to put a protection circuit module inside the battery?

How can i go about charging this battery pack in the cheapest possible but safe way?

If all goes well i am planning to sell these battery packs w/ chargers so cost is the biggest factor ( besides safety of coarse )

Thanks a TON for anyones help.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA

Survivalism

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2008
Aurora, Colorado
Thanks a ton nico, that charger so far is my first choice.

I thought about putting it in the mod forum but this is not e-cig related so i put it here hoping i would get some input.

I am making a battery pack capable of powering a vaporizer ( not our kind of vaporizer ;) )

The biggest question i have now is do i need put a protection circuit on the pack if i used the above charger, and protected batteries? If i do need the protection circuit then i could just use unprotected batteries right?

Thanks a ton guys, honestly.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I think if every individual cell had its own PCB (the protection in a protected battery), then the pack wouldn't need to have one. You would, however, need to charge for a little over 19 hours with a battery pack of that capacity. I would not recommend trying to charge faster as li-ion does NOT like to fast charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread