Status
Not open for further replies.

nettles4349

Aug 11, 2013
New Jersey
I'm trying to make a complete table for Kanthal A1 wire showing the resistance of each gauge from 22 through 34 (possibly 36) which shows the diameter of the wire in milometers and inches and then the resistance of that gauge of 1 cm, 1 inch and 1 ft of wire accurate to 3 or 4 scientific figures. I was able to copy some information online but the tables I've found are never complete or have conflicting data. I did find the equation for finding the resistance of a wire( Resistance = (Resistivity of wire x Length of wire)/Area ) however, I am new to this and the sites I've found haven't always explained what units should be used for each. Apparently the resistivity of Kanthal A1 wire 1.45 (at 20 deg Celsius), but again I'm new to this and don't know what units apply to come up with that number, or for that matter, what it means - I'm assuming it's a constant with a material, kind of like the coeficient of static friction between to materials is a constant, but aside from that I'm pretty clueless. Whenever I test out the equation to see if I come up with the same number that other sites have put down for the resistance of a specific gauge at a specific length I don't even come close no matter what units I use (and I've tried every possible combination of units I can think of).

If there is anyone out there who is knowledgeable about this and can help me out I would be incredibly grateful. And if in addition to an explanation they could show a few examples it would really help me in fully understanding this.

I would love to make this table, not just for myself, but for the whole vaping community who like RBAs, RDAs, etc. or like to remake their own micro coils to save a few bucks. I think it could be a big help so if there's any electrical experts out there who wouldn't mind giving me a quick lesson, please help me so I can pass along the information.

-John

P.S. I found a site that showed the resistance for a certain wire gauge at 1cm and at 1ft but when I did the math it didn't seem to add up correctly. I always assume that if 1cm yielded 1ohm of resistance then 2cm yielded 2ohms of resistance and so on; am I not correct in this assumption?

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Wikipedia has a nice table of wire gauges:

American wire gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this page talks about resistance, and the second table has the calculation for resistivity, as well as links to information on wire:

Resistance and Resistivity

And Temco has a *.pdf that lists the resistance for Kanthal by gauge (along with more information), just search for "Kanthal data sheet".

And to answer your final question, yes, resistance of wire increases with length, and it is a linear function. A two foot section of wire has twice the resistance of a one foot section.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
Wikipedia has a nice table of wire gauges:

American wire gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this page talks about resistance, and the second table has the calculation for resistivity, as well as links to information on wire:

Resistance and Resistivity

And Temco has a *.pdf that lists the resistance for Kanthal by gauge (along with more information), just search for "Kanthal data sheet".

And to answer your final question, yes, resistance of wire increases with length, and it is a linear function. A two foot section of wire has twice the resistance of a one foot section.
To the OP I actually linked the resistance table from tempco in my post above its the first link, even though it doesn't like a table would follow with the link.

JessV

Aug 12, 2014
Fort Bragg, NC,USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread