Help! - Many Questions Consolidated Into One Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotYingYang

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
United States
Hello All!

I have been a smoker for several years now and average half a pack to 1 pack a day. I just received my njoy NPro in the mail (with great anticipation) and excitedly/carefully opened the package.

You're suppose to charge the battery for upwards of 3 hours (until the indicator light turns green); however, mine fully charged within half an hour. I charged the other one for more than three (even though it also took a lot less time than that for the indicator light to go green).

Once charged, I put the cigarette together. At first there were a couple of times where the npro produced a better amount of vapor. Then it started to not produce any at all. I tried with the other battery; I tried with another cartridge. There is no vapor being produced even though I feel the atomizer heat up and sometimes, I feel like I am inhaling something (so subtle that it could be my imagination). Why????

What can I do to better this? Did I get a bad one? Do other npro users experience this?

Do penstyle batteries AND cartridges last longer than those of the mini-cigarettes (such as the npro)? Should I get a penstyle instead? And, with the penstyle, which penstyle should I look into? What are the best ones? I want something that:

- will last and won't break down after frequent usage (as I hope to use it often and hope that it may even completely usurp my consumption of actual cigarettes)
- has a long, long battery life
- produces a LOT of vapor
- is compatible with cartridges that last a LONG time.

Additionally, the package came with "traditional-flavored" cartridges. To me, "traditional" means the "tobacco" flavor. Am I correct? Because I do not taste much at all. I thought it may have been my smoker's dead taste buds, but I had someone else try it (i.e., a sporadic cigar smoker who obviously would not have as bad of a handicap) and they said the same thing. Do e-cigarettes really NOT taste like tobacco at all? The Npro's website said that it tastes and feels like smoking tobacco. If the "traditional"-flavored ones don't have much taste, then I may get something flavored. I like to feel/taste like something is actually being inhaled. Are the e-cigarette flavors pretty flavorful? Or are they really, really subtle (even to the point of unnoticeable like my "traditional" flavor)?

More questions:
1) When people say "carts" in this forum, is that a substitute for "cartridges"?
2) Can any e-liquid be used with any e-cigarette and any cartridge? How do you fill a cartridge? Can you use an old cartridge and just reuse that over and over again with the liquid?

I deeply apologize for all these questions. Not only do I have a naturally inquisitive mind, but I also spent a good chunk of money on this stuff and don't want to be financially wasteful.

Cheers

judasburrito

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2008
Hello! I got an NPRO about three weeks ago. It takes a bit of practice to get the right draw on it--you'll see more vapor if you don't inhale.

RE: the batteries, I'm told that penstyle batteries last longer, definitely, but my NPRO batteries last me about 8 hours (used to smoke about 3/4 pack a day, though, so...) One thing to make sure of is to charge them fully (8 hours) the first time. I have generally swapped out day to day between the batteries and let them charge overnight.

If your atomizer is heating up, it shouldn't be dead. It may be an issue of not enough juice getting to the atomizer. Make sure your cartridge (yes, cart is short for cartridge) hasn't dried out--some do. One thing I HIGHLY recommend, whether you stay with the NPRO or change to another cigarette, is picking up some juice (I have bought from puresmoker and litecigusa) to refill the cartridges that came with the NPRO--NJOY charges way too much!

The traditional-flavored cartridges that come with NJOY's units are supposed to be tobacco flavored, but I don't like them much, they're too sweet and there's kind of an 'off' chemical taste--so far my favorite is the Camel juice you find on some sites.

SO, in order to 'top off' or refill your cartridges, here's what I do with the NPRO carts, once they're smoked dry
1) take out the little inside part (with the foam stuff) from the mouthpieces
2) wash the mouthpieces in a mild dish soap solution of your preference
3) rinse the small inside part (no soap) well under running water
4) let everything dry out completely, then add drops of the juice of your choice into the foam until it stops soaking in.

PS: vaping is not quite like smoking as far as flavor goes--they're working on it. The flavor is somewhat subtle at first--but if you vape for a while rather than smoking, your tastebuds should start to wake back up.

Have fun, and good luck!

NotYingYang

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
United States
Hi Judasburrito,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your prompt and thorough reply. I really appreciate it. So, I need to clarify some things... you said:

"SO, in order to 'top off' or refill your cartridges, here's what I do with the NPRO carts, once they're smoked dry
1) take out the little inside part (with the foam stuff) from the mouthpieces
2) wash the mouthpieces in a mild dish soap solution of your preference
3) rinse the small inside part (no soap) well under running water
4) let everything dry out completely, then add drops of the juice of your choice into the foam until it stops soaking in."

I don't know what you mean by the different parts of the mouthpiece. Are you talking about the pieces of the cartridge? Or atomizer? I can't see any way I can break apart either of these components, let alone take them apart and wash/dry them. Help again, please! (Yeah, I have a tendency to be dense sometimes...)

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
NotYingYang ...

The best thing to do with the NJOY Pro (RN4081) is to use the dripping method with it. The carts are so tiny, its not worth all the fuss in my opinion.

(1) RN4081 Cartridge will last you about 20-30 puffs.
(2) Drips of eJuice right on the atomizer will last about 12-15 puffs.

Vapor is better, dripping is simple, plus you don't have to fuss with tiny cartridges.

just my $.02 cents ...

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
General Consensus on Cartridges:

Super Minis (RN4081, RN4088, DSE103, etc...):
About 1-3 cigs worth (20-30 puffs)
Mini (DSE901, etc...):
5-6 cigs worth (50-75 puffs depending on how you puff)
Pen (DSE801, RN4072, etc...):
7-10 cigs worth (up to about 100 puffs)
eCigar:
10-12 cigs worth (up to about 120-130 puffs)
Pipe (DSE601, etc...)
Atleast 14-15 cigs worth. Carts are massive

judasburrito

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2008
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people had luck dripping with this model--I haven't tried it yet, as I'm worried about breaking my only atomizer. But, I'd recommend ordering some backups from puresmoker (which I should do pretty soon -- it's the same model as the 'peewee' on that site). So, for the cartridges, there's an outer part, which is what you can see from the outside on a fully assembled RN4081, and an inner part, which is the bit containing the wadding/foam. When I say "cartridge", i mean the mouthpiece plus this inner bit. So, when I open the new cartridge and take the rubber cap off, the inner piece often stays with the rubber cap, and sometimes sticks into the atomizer when I pull the mouthpiece off. That's the part you want to rinse with water, and I've found it to not be a problem to refill. Despite others' estimates, I feel like I get about 5-6 cigs worth of vapor out of a full cartridge. I carry a small bottle of juice and refill the inner portion of the cartridge throughout the day (you want to refill the foam, not into the rest of the mouthpiece.)

The alternative CaSH is talking about, which is called 'dripping' here on the forum, is where you take the inner piece out of the cartridge and use only the mouthpiece. You drip a couple drops directly onto the metal mesh of the atomizer.

As far as what I meant by inhaling, I meant that it's easier to see the vapor (if you're concerned there's none being produced) if you don't inhale. most people do, and when my NPRO is fully charged, I get tons of vapor. My best guess as to why you were having problems is that the batteries might not have been fully charged. If your unit is fully defective, I recommend taking advantage of NJOY's warranty or getting your money back and buying the same thing for a few bucks cheaper elsewhere (and getting a few extra batts and atomizers).

So, try out what you like, and good vaping to you!

NotYingYang

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
United States
Ok, found the problem! In your last post you stated: "So, for the cartridges, there's an outer part, which is what you can see from the outside on a fully assembled RN4081, and an inner part, which is the bit containing the wadding/foam. When I say "cartridge", i mean the mouthpiece plus this inner bit. So, when I open the new cartridge and take the rubber cap off, the inner piece often stays with the rubber cap, and sometimes sticks into the atomizer when I pull the mouthpiece off." Yeah, I didn't know that the inner piece stays with the rubber cap (they really should have visuals with Njoy!). So basically, I was trying to smoke an empty cartridge because I was only "smoking" or "vaping" (I'm getting used to the lingo here) the mouthpiece. I will try again and hopefully properly this time. You may have saved me a lot of inconvenience and irritation! You REALLY helped! Thanks!

I am still wondering about the pen style/classic. What brand(s) would you guys recommend? I know there are a lot of differing opinions - but I'd like to know why one opinion would differ from another. What are your reasons for liking one brand over another?

judasburrito

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2008
Ha! Yeah, I remember finding that strange about that style of cartridge--I generally squeeze the rubber cap until the inner piece pops into the mouthpiece. I was a bit puzzled at first, because it didn't come with much in the way of instruction.

So, I can't point you to any penstyles because I haven't tried any yet--I like the portability and low-key style of the superminis, even if they are a hassle to constantly refill. I can, however, give you one more tip--The NPRO i have is autocleaning all the time (hisses, blinks more than 10 times), like several times a day, but my atomizer is a champ and made it through all that. I think one of the most important things is to keep your cartridge fairly full, so that your atomizer doesn't get dry. If I understand autocleaning right, it heats the atomizer up a lot, and it can burn them out if they're dry.

Good luck!
-Matt

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I am still wondering about the pen style/classic. What brand(s) would you guys recommend? I know there are a lot of differing opinions - but I'd like to know why one opinion would differ from another. What are your reasons for liking one brand over another?

Well, I've just got a couple of RN4072 classic penstyles from Pillbox. They fill a perfect gap in my e-smoking armoury - that "pipe & slippers" moment. They are PERFECT for sitting in an armchair with and producing billows of vapour. I would prefer to use my Intellicigs or my 901 if going out for an evening, however. The 4072 delivers an excellent amount of vapour and has great battery life - the other side of this coin is that it is bulky. I'm really glad to have mine, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread