Help me avoid a vaping penalty....

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
Hi folks.... well, I work at a hospital and the org. is now going to penalize smokers for having nicotine on board their bodies: we got news that our health insurance will go up if

1) we are over a certain body mass index number (obese)
2) have blood cholesterol over a certain number
3) have blood pressure over certain parameters
4) have nicotine in our system

We don't have all the parameters yet, but I think its 50 bux a category (looks like it could cost up to 200 bux a month :shock:); they soften it by saying if you can prove you are under a doctor's treatment for these conditions with a plan or something you won't get 'dunned' for it. Probably except for the nicotine one.

Ok. I got all the others beat and to boot, now I'm in the best health I've had in a couple of decades now that I quit analogs last june; and vape exclusively. Even tho I vape 36mg, all my stats including Blood pressure are just tip top wonderful, etc. etc.

So, what I'm hoping for is good advice on getting a 0mg nic solution that:

1) provides throat hit,
2) provides a sweet vape,
and 3) did I say provides throat hit? :)

Seems to me like you gotta have a higher voltage mod and some kinda e-juice like I got no clue about, but I gotta do something soon; I think all the testing (most likely blood testing) will come down in November. I'd like to be happily vaping 0 mg nic a few weeks in advance of that.

HELP! :shock:

PS I have Janty Stick v2 (a few of em) and 510 (dura) stuff around. Lots of 801 and 510 atomizers, that is. Love em both at 36mg/3.7 volts. Considering a Chuck, T1 or Prodigy; I'm open to good suggestions. Gotta hit it soon.

Last edited:

PaulZ

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
are they really using BMI for insurance? im currently at a 32 BMI so i'm "Morbidly obese" yet I bet i can military press whoever approved this "penalty"'s body weight, then run a mile twice as fast as them. I can't tell you how many highschool/college girls come in wanting to "not be obese" when they're actually in better shape than the little twigs you see running on treadmills all day (cardio-bunnies we call em'). it's so damn annoying.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16

steven.rn, As bad as you express the insurance problem, it's going to get worse I'll betcha, just watch.

My wishes parallel yours. I love my little 510's but I've got 2 Janty Sticks I carry like 6-shooters. :D I've just ordered a Super-T and can't wait to receive it. But like you, I'd like to have good vapor and throat hit without the Nicotine.

I don't want to go back to a tobacco flavor, and I'm finding myself in love with the Capella flavors, Pralines and Cream, Hazelnut, and Graham Crackers specifically. But I get no real throat hit with these wonderfully sweet flavors. I do have some Mint from Rocky Mountain Vapor that gives a super throat hit, and can mix that with the above flavors, but....I'd like to be able to have a throat hit w/o having to mix my sweet flavors with something so strong as Mint.

So folks, keep your opinions coming, and those of you who recommend Vodka or Everclear, expound on that idea for getting a better throat hit. I've never used either.

Thanks for a great thread and good luck with your place of work! :)

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I would second Angus' suggestion regarding menthol. Not a menthol person myself, well I wasn't with tobacco, but now I find that I really enjoy it in my ecig... especially with coffee in the morning. (Yummy)

Also... another suggestion would be up the VG (which is extremely easy to obtain from Whole Foods) in whatever solution you mix. Extreme vapor.

On another note regarding the nicotine they are going to test for: What are those who are using the patch and gum, which are OTC supposed to do? I think this is an excellent question to ask an insurance carrier. Do they want you to visit the doctor each time you need a prescription? Doesn't that drive their costs up? If so, if your doctor is on board with you vaping vs. tobacco cigarettes, I would kindly ask him/her for a doctors note stating what you are doing and that it is under his/her care.

This isn't the first time I have heard of companies/cities going nicotine free. This is just the next step towards nicotine prohibition... then they'll go after caffeine. (But they are waiting on that since 88% of Americans are addicted to caffeine, including the insurance companies LOL)

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
If you don't mind menthol, I suggest you try it. It can simulate a good throat hit.

I'm not a menthol guy, but it's not bad with chocolate.

I remember my first menthol- couldn't get enough. Smoked a whole pack.
38 years ago.
Haven't been able to smoke a menthol since then ;-)

Thanks for the idea tho; someone will know the combo that will work for me I'm sure. We just got the health letter, and it will also penalize if the SPOUSE has nicotine on board-

I *gulp* gotta go tell my happily vaping 36mg. wife about this... :shock:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Thanks for the idea tho; someone will know the combo that will work for me I'm sure. We just got the health letter, and it will also penalize if the SPOUSE has nicotine on board-

I *gulp* gotta go tell my happily vaping 36mg. wife about this... :shock:

:shock::shock::shock: Um... that's pushing it. I assume she is on your insurance? Ask them if she wasn't would the same be true? If so... that's horrible.

Either way... come up with a great mix of something and then tell her. Have candies... flowers... a good cocktail... and possibly yourself wrapped in a bow :)

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
tobacco absolute,increase % to suit you,pg + vg + everclear

Dude, this sounds like an option... got some resources on where to get tobacco absolute? I don't know what tobacco absolute is, sounds like something distilled from tobacco with no nicotine in it? I know where to get the rest...(never bought everclear, but I suppose it's at our state liquor store - that's where you buy alcohol in Ohio). I'll google up tobacco absolute, I'd just appreciate knowing a good place to get it from someone with experience.

Think Tink

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Not really an answer to your question, but I'd pay the $50 until I could get off nic. It's still cheaper than the $250 a month each that my husband and I were paying for analogs. Vaping costs each of us $60/mo so it would still be half price.

It would buy you some time anyway...

Oh, and if I told my husband that they were going to charge us another $50/mo for his nic habit, he'd hand me $50 each month and grumble about it :)

Misty

Last edited:

Liscab

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Miami fl.
Dude, this sounds like an option... got some resources on where to get tobacco absolute? I don't know what tobacco absolute is, sounds like something distilled from tobacco with no nicotine in it? I know where to get the rest...(never bought everclear, but I suppose it's at our state liquor store - that's where you buy alcohol in Ohio). I'll google up tobacco absolute, I'd just appreciate knowing a good place to get it from someone with experience.

Tobacco Absolute - 2ml bottle

you may also add ethyl maltol,

read this post and play with the amount of Tobacco absolute
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tobacco-flavor-so-far-full-credit-nuck-5.html

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Steven - Another thought for you... Sherid, a member here, is also in Ohio and her employer passed the same rules on her (I believe). You might want to think about getting in contact with her to see how she is navigating this storm. She *might* have the answers to your questions... and might have an idea around having to pay extra and drop nicotine all together.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
On another note regarding the nicotine they are going to test for: What are those who are using the patch and gum, which are OTC supposed to do? I think this is an excellent question to ask an insurance carrier. Do they want you to visit the doctor each time you need a prescription? Doesn't that drive their costs up? If so, if your doctor is on board with you vaping vs. tobacco cigarettes, I would kindly ask him/her for a doctors note stating what you are doing and that it is under his/her care.

This isn't the first time I have heard of companies/cities going nicotine free. This is just the next step towards nicotine prohibition... then they'll go after caffeine. (But they are waiting on that since 88% of Americans are addicted to caffeine, including the insurance companies LOL)

I agree with Lacey.

Is this even legal??

What if you were on nicotine replacement therapy to quit smoking? Can they FORCE you to quit therapy and go cold turkey??? Can an employer legally dictate medical treatments?? BecauSe that is what they'd be doing.

I'd be talking to a lawyer.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Hi folks.... well, I work at a hospital and the org. is now going to penalize smokers for having nicotine on board their bodies: we got news that our health insurance will go up if

1) we are over a certain body mass index number (obese)
2) have blood cholesterol over a certain number
3) have blood pressure over certain parameters
4) have nicotine in our system

It appears, from what Steve stated, that it is his employer's insurance company imposing these mandates, not his employer and as it stands today, insurance companies can and will come up with anything they can to raise rates or drop coverage and at this point in time there is nothing illict about such harsh practices.

Sun

Old Puffer

Moved On
May 1, 2009
  • Deleted by lordmage
  • Reason: Spam

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the employer was levying the penalty.

I'd pay the higher insurance IF I get caught. But, it's definitely better to get off nicotine anyhow, so if you find a zero nicotine you like - I'd go that route.

Since you're going to be experiementing - you could be nice and share your findings with the board. It could help other people find a good zero nic combination and that'd be good for everyone!

How does vodka give throat hit??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread