Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
When I checked the other day they didn't have 29 gauge in stock! So maybe that's why it will take so long? My local B&M sells wire at $1/foot, but you could probably buy enough of 30 gauge to tide you over till the Temco order arrives.

I ordered from the TEMCo site, so that was probably a huge mistake, this is what my order says:

Kanthal Wire 29 Gauge RW0169 - 50 FT 0.25oz Series A-1 Resistance AWG
Shipping: Ground - $0.00
Shipped in 4–5 weeks

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Some B&M shops do carry wire, you'll pay too much but, it's worth it to be able to hit that Reo.

I found some :)

I called a brand new vaping store and a nice young man sat with me for a long time and showed me how to make coils (just like rabernet suggested - thanks!).

I left with it not working so good, but I didn't want to be impolite and say it wasn't the way it showed in the video. The guy there doesn't wind the cotton into a strand, so there was a bunch of loose cotton all over the top, so I have changed that now and it's better. I also think the coil probably has a bigger inside diameter than I maybe should have.

At this minute, I am doing better with this than a cartomizer, but not as good as that flux thing. Also, I burned my finger, I think it was from juice coming out the air hole.

So... what I really need is all of you to come over to my house and help me LOL - kidding! I will figure this out, but probably much slower than expected.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
When I checked the other day they didn't have 29 gauge in stock! So maybe that's why it will take so long? My local B&M sells wire at $1/foot, but you could probably buy enough of 30 gauge to tide you over till the Temco order arrives.

That must be it, it didn't say out of stock, and I didn't see the ship date until after the order was processed. I'll be good with whatever comes from Avid and I have a foot of 28 gauge from the guy who was helping me.

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
I ordered from Temco directly because it was a fraction of the price they were selling it for on Ebay! Mine took a couple of weeks, I think.

That's odd. I just did a quick comparison with 100ft of 29awg:
eBay store: $7.60

100ft is a lot if you're just trying it out, but it's item # 190976039642. Expected delivery Feb 12th

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Weird, I paid something like $6 shipped for 100 ft of 30 gauge a few weeks ago from Temco - it was selling for several times that on Ebay!

That's odd. I just did a quick comparison with 100ft of 29awg:
eBay store: $7.60

100ft is a lot if you're just trying it out, but it's item # 190976039642. Expected delivery Feb 12th

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Wickeddeuce wrote earlier on this thread that Tempco had increased their prices because of the demand, my order was $5.29 including shipping for 50 ft.

I made a new smaller coil last night using a 21 gauge blunt luer lock syringe head, and after a few hours of sheer frustration, I finally figured this out :) I think my main problem was that I was afraid of flooding so I wasn't getting enough juice up.

Thank you everyone!! I am back in the vaping game and even more self-sufficient than I was before.

One more question: How important is the O-ring on the RM2? I lost it twice in this learning process yesterday, but thankfully found it again after frantic searching.

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
Been lurking and following this thread, NicLiq. All the experienced Reonauts had much better advice than I could give ya. Congrats on coil success! The O-ring (the one that sits under the cap when you screw it on? I'm guessing) isn't necessary, per se. However, I need mine, to be able to line up the air hole on the side to match up with where the coil is. If your air hole lines up with your coil without it (or relatively close), I would think it's okay without it. Otherwise, I know someone here can tell you what size it is--they can be bought at a home improvement store for pennies, I believe.

ETA: What Amanda said, too. She types faster than me, lol.

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
the o-ring under the RM2 in the catch cup help line the hole with where you want it, facing the button or away from the button. If the RM2 is not staying put or if your getting leaking into the catch cup you need it.

I've found that a drip tip o-ring around the 510 post on the RM2 works even better for me. It allows to me to place the hole just right, does not leak and is tighter, so no movement of the RM2. Plus I don't lose it when washing.

IMAG1829-M.jpg

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
I kept washing my O rings away, even after I ordered more LOL You only need it to adjust the coil to the right place, but it works without the O ring for me. I place my coil on the button side, but you'd need the O ring if you wanted to place it on the opposite side.

Been lurking and following this thread, NicLiq. All the experienced Reonauts had much better advice than I could give ya. Congrats on coil success! The O-ring (the one that sits under the cap when you screw it on? I'm guessing) isn't necessary, per se. However, I need mine, to be able to line up the air hole on the side to match up with where the coil is. If your air hole lines up with your coil without it (or relatively close), I would think it's okay without it. Otherwise, I know someone here can tell you what size it is--they can be bought at a home improvement store for pennies, I believe.

ETA: What Amanda said, too. She types faster than me, lol.

Thanks! That's great that they can be purchased, hopefully someone will know the size.

I put my coil up by the button too based on the video that said to put it how you hold it. I take it that the O-Ring helps give more ability to adjust how the RM2 fits? I have to figure out a better place for the air hole because I keep burning my finger. I am left handed and I hold my REO with the button on the top and the RM2 facing down, but I switch hands a lot, so if I use my right hand, I burn my index finger. This might sound weird.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
the o-ring under the RM2 in the catch cup help line the hole with where you want it, facing the button or away from the button. If the RM2 is not staying put or if your getting leaking into the catch cup you need it.

I've found that a drip tip o-ring around the 510 post on the RM2 works even better for me. It allows to me to place the hole just right, does not leak and is tighter, so no movement of the RM2. Plus I don't lose it when washing.

IMAG1829-M.jpg

Great idea, thanks! I'm sure I can get some off old drip tips.

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
Hmm, I didn't know about the little O-ring, like Filthy Beast pictured. I use the large one under the cap (air hole doesn't line up w/ coil w/o it).
I guess I'm the odd one, I like my air hole opposite of the button, and that's how it mounts w/o the o-ring. NicLiq--I vape left-handed, too. The air hole is facing up and away from my thumb in my configuration, even if I switch hands.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Hmm, I didn't know about the little O-ring, like Filthy Beast pictured. I use the large one under the cap (air hole doesn't line up w/ coil w/o it).
I guess I'm the odd one, I like my air hole opposite of the button, and that's how it mounts w/o the o-ring. NicLiq--I vape left-handed, too. The air hole is facing up and away from my thumb in my configuration, even if I switch hands.

Thanks, I will try to get mine to do that. It seems to want to be at 3 o'clock from the button.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
I also have mine facing the button. I have a button cover that allows me to press on the far side of it, away from the air hole, so my finger does not get close to the hole.

IMAG1827-L.jpg

I will work on this, it's starting to make sense to me now - thanks! I just have the regular button. I love how your REO looks!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Two different things to adjust, when you look into the RM2 if the hole does not line up with the coil some people use the o-ring to control how the top cap screws on the RM2. what I posted was to control how the whole RM2 lines up on the Reo.

If you take the 0-ring to home depot or Ace they can help find different sizes that will work.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Two different things to adjust, when you look into the RM2 if the hole does not line up with the coil some people use the o-ring to control how the top cap screws on the RM2. what I posted was to control how the whole RM2 lines up on the Reo.

If you take the 0-ring to home depot or Ace they can help find different sizes that will work.

Sorry for so many questions - so is it important that the air hole lines up with the coil? If my button is at 12 o'clock, I would say my coil is about 1 o'clock and the air hole is at 3 o'clock. Everything works for me, except if I use my right hand to hold the REO. I think I could change it all, but I would have to tighten it a lot more, or loosen it.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
now it makes sense why you burn a finger with one hand and not the other. When mounted I like my air hole to line up to the button. Using a drip tip o-ring on the connector you could get your air hole to 12 and have it line up with the button. Your coil would then be at 10.

Some people don't like the spread from 1 to 3 for the air hole to coil alignment so they use the o-ring between the base and cap of the RM2 to get the air hole over to 1. I put a bend in my coils to get them close to the airhole.

IMAG1835-M.jpg

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
So... what I really need is all of you to come over to my house and help me LOL - kidding! I will figure this out, but probably much slower than expected.

No! You are on the opposite end of town :laugh:

You really sound like you are getting it. If you are really stuck or need some 30ga, I could meet in the middle with supplies and will show you how to build over a beer you bought me :p. It really sounds like you are getting it all figured out. Learning like this you won't forget...and you will be an expert in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread