Help me make 1 Flavor for my first DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holly9000

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2013
Toms River, N.J. 08753
I'd like to try mixing a small amount of just one flavor. I want to end up with a 50/50 pg/vg 25 MG NIC ejuice. nicvape.com seems to have the stuff I'd need, but I have a few questions;

1) Is it ok to just get 2 bottles of 25 mg nic (1 in pg and 1 in vg) and mix them half and half or am I thinking incorrectly?

2) What supplies do you recommend for making small, single flavor batches of ejiuce? I am starting with nothing but a dream here...lol

3) What secret tip can you give me? (if any)

Thanks in advance and vape-ON!:D

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I'm still pretty new myself to DIY. The ejuice me up calculator really helped me. I ordered 36mg pg nic base, pg & vg. I mix mines to get 18mg. Make sure you order syringes & the needles. You'll need a bigger one...maybe 18guage for the vg since its much thicker. 1 ml syringes for flavors...makes it much easier. Stay away from the pipettes. If you order from wizard labs they usually throw in a couple as a freebie but they waste soooo much liquid. Don't forget your flavor enhancers like EM, smooth, sweetner, koolada, & sour depending on what kind of juice you decide to make.

I haven't heard of the vendor you refer to but maybe someone else will come along that has. But I've ordered everything from wizard labs! They're stuff is great quality & packaged extremely well! It's bubble wraps and sealed so no leaks! And no peppery taste to my liquid like I've seen discussed in other threads.

You could order the PG & VG the way you mentioned above. But I'd still order some pg or vg with no nic incase you decide to lower your level or make lower nic juice like I do to vape before bed. Also make sure you get some bottles. Small 5 or 10 ml to start so you can see how it goes before making bigger batches! I save & reuse my bigger bottles from juice that I've purchased. And write your stuff down so that if you like it you can duplicate it in a larger size. Also keep in mind that if you mix half & half once you add you flavor it is going to lower your nic level just a bit depending on the % of flavoring you use.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be just fine! It's really not as complicated as I thought it would be & I'm prone to over thinking! Lol

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I'd like to try mixing a small amount of just one flavor. I want to end up with a 50/50 pg/vg 25 MG NIC ejuice. nicvape.com seems to have the stuff I'd need, but I have a few questions;

Cool, we answer questions here. Bear with me as I'm a bit of a smart beast-of-burden...

1) Is it ok to just get 2 bottles of 25 mg nic (1 in pg and 1 in vg) and mix them half and half or am I thinking incorrectly?

That works, but you will not have a 25mg/ml 50/50 PG/VG mix if you add any flavoring. I'm going to give an example with a mythical mix with your base nic and an imaginary flavoring that works at 10% inside a non-existent 10ml bottle. 9ml of 25mg/ml 50/50 with 1ml flavoring is 22.5mg/ml nicotine in a 55/45 PG/VG blend. (Using the fairly safe assumption that your flavoring is PG as most of them are)

2) What supplies do you recommend for making small, single flavor batches of ejiuce? I am starting with nothing but a dream here...lol

Lots of bottles. 6ml or 3ml in size. A handful of 1ml/cc syringes with markings every 0.02ml. At least 2 3ml or 5ml syringes. A clean place to mix that is not accessible by cats, dogs, children or any combination of the three during the mixing period. Limited distractions. (I've mistakenly taken a phone call while mixing and when I went back to mixing and added what was left to add, the bottle overflowed, which was a sure sign that I had added more than just what was left to add.) SOME WAY TO TAKE NOTES. Then TAKE NOTES! (Seriously, there are few things that suck more than making a great juice and not being able to ever make it again... Happened to me...I hate taking notes, but I do for mixing...now...)

3) What secret tip can you give me? (if any)

There is some dip-weed that goes by the handle "Hoosier" that has a blog on mixing. It's full of his idiotic writing, but has some gems for making your juice not suck.

Thanks in advance and VAPE-ON!:D

You're welcome late.

holly9000

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2013
Toms River, N.J. 08753
Cool, we answer questions here. Bear with me as I'm a bit of a smart beast-of-burden...

That works, but you will not have a 25mg/ml 50/50 PG/VG mix if you add any flavoring. I'm going to give an example with a mythical mix with your base nic and an imaginary flavoring that works at 10% inside a non-existent 10ml bottle. 9ml of 25mg/ml 50/50 with 1ml flavoring is 22.5mg/ml nicotine in a 55/45 PG/VG blend. (Using the fairly safe assumption that your flavoring is PG as most of them are)

Lots of bottles. 6ml or 3ml in size. A handful of 1ml/cc syringes with markings every 0.02ml. At least 2 3ml or 5ml syringes. A clean place to mix that is not accessible by cats, dogs, children or any combination of the three during the mixing period. Limited distractions. (I've mistakenly taken a phone call while mixing and when I went back to mixing and added what was left to add, the bottle overflowed, which was a sure sign that I had added more than just what was left to add.) SOME WAY TO TAKE NOTES. Then TAKE NOTES! (Seriously, there are few things that suck more than making a great juice and not being able to ever make it again... Happened to me...I hate taking notes, but I do for mixing...now...)

There is some dip-weed that goes by the handle "Hoosier" that has a blog on mixing. It's full of his idiotic writing, but has some gems for making your juice not suck.

You're welcome late.
Awesome thanks for the info!!:toast:

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Don't forget your flavor enhancers like EM, smooth, sweetner, koolada, & sour

Thanks so much for your help! Can you tell me more about these flavor enhancers? The only ones I recognize are sweetener and sour...lol and any recommendations for these?

The flavor I want to make is Vanilla Custard :)

EM is also a sweetener. Smooth for me does exactly what it name says. It kinda smooths out juices that need it. I usually use maybe one drop per 10 ml if needed. But the same can be said for a drop of lemon or vanilla flavor. It just cuts the harshness a bit. Koolada gives a cool feeling for me on exhale. Hope this helps. I'm probably not the best one to explain it lol.

Also go to the DIY section of the forum. There's all kinds of info & recipes there! You'll probably even find a few for the vanilla custard!

holly9000

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2013
Toms River, N.J. 08753
EM is also a sweetener. Smooth for me does exactly what it name says. It kinda smooths out juices that need it. I usually use maybe one drop per 10 ml if needed. But the same can be said for a drop of lemon or vanilla flavor. It just cuts the harshness a bit. Koolada gives a cool feeling for me on exhale. Hope this helps. I'm probably not the best one to explain it lol.

Also go to the DIY section of the forum. There's all kinds of info & recipes there! You'll probably even find a few for the vanilla custard!

Thanks! I have been checking out the DIY sections, there's some great info there, and a lot of it! lol

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Thanks! I have been checking out the DIY sections, there's some great info there, and a lot of it! lol

Yes tons! So much that it can get a little overwhelming!! Lol! I started a thread like yours before I got started & as always the guys & gals here were a great help!! I still haven't mixed anything too complicated but I have yet to mix one that tastes bad either! And Hooisers blog really is full of great info! Once you get you one of the ejuice calculators & play around with it you'll be well on your way. I even managed to find an app for my phone!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
That dip-weed named hoosier knows his stuff so read everything. A few of my helpfull hints are:

Be safe, Understand the hazards of nicotine and learn to work safe. Know how to mix percentages correctly and learn use a juice calculator such as the e-juce me up calculator.

Start with low percentages where flavor comes in. You can easly add more until you reach your desired flavor level. It's a bit harder to correct your mix if you over do it.

Make small test batches (5 to 10ml) so you don't waste your heart earned money on supplies.

Give your mixes time to develope. It takes time for your mixes to blend. It's called steeping. What does not taste good or has no taste at all right after mixing will taste great after it's had time to cure. Do some research on steeping. There is pleanty of information on how to speed up this process.

Last edited:

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
There's a pretty yum recipe on the front page for vanilla custard, but it has a lot more than 1 flavor in it.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/431171-stevos-vanilla-custard.html

I would recommend buying your nicotine in 50 mg strenth and diluting it down for storage, you'll get a little more bang for your buck that way. PG and VG are relatively inexpensive so less expensive than buying 2 bottles of 25 mg nic.

Buy the small bottle of flavor to try it, there's enough to make many mixes before you run out. Then, if you love it, buy it in a bigger size. The surest way to insure I will hate something is if I buy it in 30 ml bottles.

Have fun with it, too!

holly9000

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2013
Toms River, N.J. 08753
There's a pretty yum recipe on the front page for vanilla custard, but it has a lot more than 1 flavor in it.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/431171-stevos-vanilla-custard.html

I would recommend buying your nicotine in 50 mg strenth and diluting it down for storage, you'll get a little more bang for your buck that way. PG and VG are relatively inexpensive so less expensive than buying 2 bottles of 25 mg nic.

Buy the small bottle of flavor to try it, there's enough to make many mixes before you run out. Then, if you love it, buy it in a bigger size. The surest way to insure I will hate something is if I buy it in 30 ml bottles.

Have fun with it, too!
I did see that recipe, it looks a little complicated but I may give it a shot. Thanks for the tips!

holly9000

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2013
Toms River, N.J. 08753

Have fun with it, too!
What would you recommend I should get as far the level of nic for my base? I usually use 24mg. Would it be better to get an even higher level nic base liquid than 50? I guess what I'm asking is, on average, how much is the original base diluted? According to the recipe you mentioned, it looks like the original nic base only makes up 20% by the time it's all mixed...

Last edited:

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
Look at it by price. You buy 100 mg/ml nic base at $15 for 60 ml. PG and VG less than $5 each for 250 ml.

I cut mine down to 50 mg as soon as it comes so it's safer to handle. So, 30 ml nic base and 30 ml pg or vg.

Then in your recipe you take your existing 50 mg nic and make a finished juice at 25 mg. So, you're cutting your 50 mg base in half again. Then the rest is flavorings and pg/vg. Flavorings usually make up less than 20% of the total juice.

The 25 mg nic base you found for sale, and I haven't priced it, would have to be used full strength and it's nicotine content would still be lowered depending on the total flavor percentage in the finished juice. If you buy 30 ml of nic base you can only make 30 ml of juice.

Hope this makes some sense to you, I'm rolling on way too much caffeine.

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles

holly9000

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2013
Toms River, N.J. 08753
Look at it by price. You buy 100 mg/ml nic base at $15 for 60 ml. PG and VG less than $5 each for 250 ml.

I cut mine down to 50 mg as soon as it comes so it's safer to handle. So, 30 ml nic base and 30 ml pg or vg.

Then in your recipe you take your existing 50 mg nic and make a finished juice at 25 mg. So, you're cutting your 50 mg base in half again. Then the rest is flavorings and pg/vg. Flavorings usually make up less than 20% of the total juice.

The 25 mg nic base you found for sale, and I haven't priced it, would have to be used full strength and it's nicotine content would still be lowered depending on the total flavor percentage in the finished juice. If you buy 30 ml of nic base you can only make 30 ml of juice.

Hope this makes some sense to you, I'm rolling on way too much caffeine.
Yes it makes sense. Thanks again and thanks to everyone for your help and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread