Help me pick out the right SS Rope, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Hey there ECF! I'm really into genesis atomizers, but I realized today I've never tried SS Rope. I've always just used straight mesh, mesh-in-mesh, L-wick mesh, etc. I was looking at mesh today and I see a choice between 7x7 and 7x19. I tried to look up past threads and I managed to figure out that one is 7 strands wrapped with 7 strands, the other is 7 strands wrapped with 19 strands. I understand that part, but what is the difference? Is one more like 200 mesh, the other like 400 mesh? As in they wick at different speeds (which is debatable, anyway, as I've never noticed much difference with different mesh #).

Also, I seem to see people using the SS Rope and then just putting a little wrap of mesh around the top where the coil goes. Should that be just a couple layers of mesh or several? Thanks!! Any other advice is welcome!

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
7x7 will be stiffer than 7x19. 7x19 will have collectively more surface area as well. Grab the 7x19.

The small wrap of mesh is simply to minimize shorts. It's a heck of a lot easier to pre-burn and reduce conductivity from the mesh than it is a thick wire rope. One wrap is quite sufficient.

Also understand that some extra tilting will be necessary to avoid dry hits.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
7x7 will be stiffer than 7x19. 7x19 will have collectively more surface area as well. Grab the 7x19.

The small wrap of mesh is simply to minimize shorts. It's a heck of a lot easier to pre-burn and reduce conductivity from the mesh than it is a thick wire rope. One wrap is quite sufficient.

Also understand that some extra tilting will be necessary to avoid dry hits.

Extra tilting? I thought it was supposed to wick better than SS mesh on its own. I watched a video of Todd holding a genny built with SS rope straight up-and-down and burning it for quite some time. The wick seemed to stay saturated with ease. Thanks for the info, though. I ended up buying some 7x19 earlier today because that's all the site had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread