Help me with Kayfun Prime Flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain45

Sep 6, 2017
I solely MTL usually on the tightest airflows. I have been using a nautilus 2 on 1.8 coils for the past year or so. I bought the Prime a few months back as I wanted to get into rebuilding and above all, I wanted the most flavor I can get. Plus the design and looks are far above the nautilus.

My problem is that I seem to be getting a little better flavor and sweetness out of my Nautilus 2 via 1.8ohm coils at about 13w than any of the builds I have done in the KP. So here is what I have tried so far in the prime:

26g Kanthal, 7/8 wraps around 2.5 slightly spaced. Coming in at about .~9 ohms. 15-18w
28g Kanthal, 7/8 wraps around 2.5 slightly spaced. Coming in at about ~1.3ohms. 10-14w

Seems like the flavor was a bit better in the .95 coil.

So I decided to play with wick thickness and coil height above the airhole. Here is what I tried with both coils:

slightly lose wick with long and short tails into the juice well (too much popping)
tight wick (tight enough to move the coil a bit when pulling through) and long and short tails into the well too. (no popping...maybe better flavor, cant tell)

Ive set both coils from about a range from 1mm to about 2.5 mm above the airhole. Ive found that the higher above seems to help.

The flavor production isnt terrible with my prime, I just have a hard time believing that it cant produce a bit better flavor than my Nautilus 2. I really want it to cause I hate the way the nautilus looks.

Any other Kanthal builds I should try? Should I try going up to a 1.8ohm? Smaller larger ID? Any advice?

just a few pics:
M4dNxEO.jpg

Last edited:

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I use the same coil in ALL my devices, and I'm strictly a MTL vaper. 5 wraps 28g kanthal 2.5mm ID micro coil. it comes out to 1.07-1.1 depending on the device. I've found throught the years that range gives me the BEST flavor!I usually vape that at 4.2 volts (on my Provaris) or about 12-12.5 (on everything else) watts.

I use KGD wicking and in the KF i make sure I can pull it throught the coil with a bit of felt resistance. If I start moving the coil when pulling it through, it's to much cotton. You want to cut it long enough that the tips of the wick just touch the bottom of those juice channels.

Try some of those and see if it helps.

Captain45

Sep 6, 2017
I use the same coil in ALL my devices, and I'm strictly a MTL vaper. 5 wraps 28g kanthal 2.5mm ID micro coil. it comes out to 1.07-1.1 depending on the device. I've found throught the years that range gives me the BEST flavor!I usually vape that at 4.2 volts (on my Provaris) or about 12-12.5 (on everything else) watts.

I use KGD wicking and in the KF i make sure I can pull it throught the coil with a bit of felt resistance. If I start moving the coil when pulling it through, it's to much cotton. You want to cut it long enough that the tips of the wick just touch the bottom of those juice channels.

Try some of those and see if it helps.

Interesting, Do you space your 5 wraps or contact?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
The loose wick will pop like you said and one that really moves the coil could be slightly to much. I would try one that's a smidgen less tight. I like your 2.5 coil and as for the tails, they should just hit the ledge, no more and no less which takes a bit of time to get right. Also the thickness of the tails is important, because if they are to bushy and dense, you will loose flavor. I would recommend trimming just your tails by 20 percent. If this trim creates a slight leakage at the 510 pin, then you trimmed too much. I find with the prime that flavor is optimal with wick tails trimmed just enough to not create that slight leakage at the 510 connection. 1.5 mm above hole is best for flavor on coil placement. Either 7 wraps of 28 or 7 wraps of 26g is very good imo, slightly spaced. Also, flavor seems better when your tails are of the correct density and width along with juice flow only opened 1.5 turns

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Winner
Reactions: Ivan6Two
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread