Parts:
two 14500
mini maglite
RCA Female
RCA Male
5v reg (ti sample)
momentary switch

issue:
there isn't a place to put a 5v reg anywhere.
the male rca will not house the chip. thats really where i wanted it to go AFTER the switch.
the flash light has had the threads removed before knowing this issue or i would have done some type of work there.

I would like to keep it looking simple with out extra attachements on it.
ideas?

idea.

if i shave off the metal the pencil is pointing at. bend the connectors it will go in.
now if i were to shave that off, or even some of the case of this chip. would i run into problems?
attachment.php

Attachments

• C86T0H3GPG.jpg
    C86T0H3GPG.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 262
i took off the threads for the head.
actually thought about doing it the way you did but it kept bugging me looking at it set up like that.
here is the base now. its all ready to go, i just have to figure out this last part and i can vape it.

this is by far a lot better looking than that syringe mod i did, lol. though that was just to get at the new batteries. hell, i even have chrome looking button extender for the little tact switch.

i still have to mod the male rca for the switch but that can be done kinda fast. started the part in the pics and am already done.. kind of shocked it went that fast.

Attachments

• 941_0347.jpg
    941_0347.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 941_0349.jpg
    941_0349.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 74
i know that li-ion can explode mine are protected but, do i need to drill holes in the body that holds the batteries for safety? tired to find a video of how large of an explosion li-ion is but didn't get any good results. not sure if it would be large enough that it wouldn't matter or just like charging a regular to the point if just drips out acid.

i'm going to do this a bit different and forget all this putting the batteries in series. they are putting out 4.13v currently. will be running them parallel for longer life. if i am pushing out 4.13v its a huge wast to run a reg and drop 8.26v to 5v with both batteries dying in the same time span as one battery.
two batteries in parallel will keep me at 4.13 for a much longer time.

tomorrow i'll be making these into a battery pack using aluminum foil and heavy duty packaging tape.

to charge this all i will do is make a dummy battery with an rca male plug, drop it into the rca female and let it do its thing. test the volts to make sure they are around 4v after charging and go about my day.

not sure why i lost sight of the longevity aspect.

Make sure the + & - do NOT touch! A single 3.7v can create a mess if you short it.:evil:

What are you using for the switch on your mod?

mon button pulled out of a linksys router.
being that it will be in the male rca i can swap it when/if it goes bad. i have two more switches i need to pull from something else and they have a silver cap on top of them so it will match up with the RCA.

this whole modding thing is helping me get rid of all the old electronics i have at an alarming rate. knew i would find a use for them.
pic of the button caps attached.
kind of shocked at how many things i have with mon buttons this little led has two.

calling this mod Mad Maggie

Attachments

• 941_0355.jpg
    941_0355.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 51
sorry! name is taken! you can name it mad maggie ll

figures. can i pull a mythbusters and simply say; "i reject your reality and substitute my own'?

Nice job on that mod. Looks like you will be set with a reliable one to take out with you now without frightening the good people. Well most of them that`s normal anyhow. :toast:

I love tearing apart old electronics and new ones as well. Even remotes they have nice battery springs in there. :blink:

i have a 10440 in the works that will be my out and about one. its done just needs a 10440 to be tossed into it. has a click bottom for master power and then once the rca mon button mod is done tomorrow it will be ready.
been meaning to order a 10440 but wasn't sure i wanted to mod another so soon. i wanted to see if the (f) rca would fit with out modding everything and it does with a regular AA. so that one is good to go. it still has the threads on the top but if i were to shave them off it would have a ring of silver.
guess i need to find a name for that one also.. starting a itty-bitty vapie committee hehe. hmm call the thing wee lassie, NiiiiiiiiiN-JAAAAHHHH.

roadrash

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsboro NH
idea.

if i shave off the metal the pencil is pointing at. bend the connectors it will go in.
now if i were to shave that off, or even some of the case of this chip. would i run into problems?
attachment.php

just my 2 Ps, But would it be possible to use just one 14500 and a switched voltage booster. give a lot more room to work in. I have been looking for something like that for myself, so far no luck. i am sure someone here will know. as others have stated, stacking batts to increase voltage then resisting to lower voltage seems a waste of battery energy. To bad they dont make a 4.5 volt batt in the aa size. :vapor::vapor:

just my 2 Ps, But would it be possible to use just one 14500 and a switched voltage booster. give a lot more room to work in. I have been looking for something like that for myself, so far no luck. i am sure someone here will know. as others have stated, stacking batts to increase voltage then resisting to lower voltage seems a waste of battery energy. To bad they dont make a 4.5 volt batt in the aa size. :vapor::vapor:

i shaved the crap out of that thing and it still wouldn't fit into the male rca case, well unless i also cut off the pins.

booster is the only way to go, i got some coming but i really don't think i will use them unless i buy a project box.

it would be just easier to just throw on a LR atty.

after testing the volts though, i am rocking a good 4.13v per battery on a nice charge. i might get something more from 5v but as it stands now, sometimes my vaper on this thing chokes me from being to much.
pretty much i had to slap the "tim allen tool man" more power, out of my thoughts.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
i'm going to do this a bit different and forget all this putting the batteries in series. they are putting out 4.13v currently. will be running them parallel for longer life. if i am pushing out 4.13v its a huge wast to run a reg and drop 8.26v to 5v with both batteries dying in the same time span as one battery...
That's not the way it works. The 4.13 (or 4.2V) of a freshly charged Li-Ion is not relevant to vaping (loaded) volts.

You will be vaping at about 3.7V, better than a standard e-cig batt but nowhere near a true 5V.

If we look at the watts with a Joye atty the batts on their own or in paralel produce about 6.2 watts. A true regulated 5V will give you about 11.4 watts. That's a huge difference in power/heat. Plus with the TI regulators it's pretty much a consistent 5V from start to finish. When the batts drop below 5.5V the reg shuts down, a nice added safety feature so as not to over discharge your batts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread