Help!! My Riva 510 went up in smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilteapot

Dec 3, 2010
Texas
I am fairly new to vaping.
My first experience was the smoketip until I join this forum and learned all the different types.
After much reading and watching video's I got the Riva 510 lite bundle from libertyflights.
I loved it so much I got another so I had 4. ( they come 2 batteries in a pack ) one charger, one atty.
Last night, ALL of them went up in smoke!
The first one, just hot hot and started smoking (not while I was vaping on it either).
It's dead. Then the 2nd, one....the 3rd.....et.
I now have NO riva's to use.
(AM in panic mode....).
Am using the smoketip, which in comparison is awful.
Can anyone tell why this happened to ALL of my Riva's?
How long should they last?
I have had them for approx. 2 months, and the other set not even 2 months.
I vap a lot, I use them like cigarettes and I used to smoke a pack a day.
What e-cig does everyone recommend?
What one last the longest and hold a good charge?

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
As I'm understanding your story, the common denominator in all four battery failures was your single atomizer; I'd look at that as the possible cause of your woes, and advise against ever using the same atomizer on a second (let alone third or fourth) battery immediately after a smokey malfunction with the first.

Princessa

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2010
TN
Having 2 full kits, you probably had 2 attys - were you using just the one of the two attys on all 4 batteries? Like was said above, and general good advice is to have extra attys on hand at all times. When you get everything squared away, definitely toss in your order some Boge 2.0 ohm cartos (probably out of stock again) and at least one eGo-T atty & cart/tank to try out. They work great on the Riva or eGo.

Definitely get in touch with support@liberty-flights.com or even directly to ty@liberty-flights.com and inquire about the guarantee as well (if anything, at least for the newest of the two kits):

Liberty Flights guarantees Riva batteries for 3 months. Please see our terms and conditions for further information.

Liberty Flights guarantees Riva atomizers for 2 months or 60ml Juice throughout. Please see our terms and conditions for further information.

Liberty Flights guarantees Riva rest of kit parts for 3 months (excluding carts). Please see our terms and conditions for further information.

They got our backs ;)

Last edited:

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
Thanks for all the response.
To answer some of the questions.
I had 2 kits, so a total of 2 chargers, and 4 batteries.
I also had extra atty's.
4 total I think maybe 5.

We want to know IF you were using the SAME atomizer on ALL of the batteries that defected.

OR - Were you using a different atomizers on each battery as they defected?

What were the batteries doing when they defected?
Were you vaping on the batteries when they defected?
Were the batteries on a charger when they defected?
Were the batteries laying on a table when they defected?

You should contact support@liberty-flights.com right away and have your order number ready so they can determine if these are covered under warranty.

Thanks,
Paula

Last edited:

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
A good rule to follow when a battery defects, (as you described), is to take the atty, the battery, and the charger that charged it OUT of your inventory. Retire it. Get is away from your equipment UNTIL you can determine a logical reason for the defecting battery.

It might be your atomizer.
It might be your charger.
It might be your electrical outlet.

To continue to use the same atomizer and the same charger COULD / MIGHT cause more batteries to defect. Don't take that chance. Get the questionable equipment away from your good inventory.

Hope this helps a little,
Paula

lilteapot

Dec 3, 2010
Texas
I have 2 chargers, 7 atty's and 4 batteries.
I was down to one battery after the others smoked and died.
They literally started smoking and burning up.
I was not vaping at the time, and they were NOT on the charge.
I switch out the atty's between the batteries.
And always had 2 charging, one I would use, and one I carried for backup.

Now the one battery I am down to, is not working. I am using a new atty (never used), and all is does is blinks (the led button light) even though I had it on the charger all night.
I tried the other charger for a couple of hrs. still get the same thing.
Very frustrating.
I am almost to point of buying a pack cigs. ughhhh

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
I have 2 chargers, 7 atty's and 4 batteries.
I was down to one battery after the others smoked and died.
They literally started smoking and burning up.
I was not vaping at the time, and they were NOT on the charge.
I switch out the atty's between the batteries.
And always had 2 charging, one I would use, and one I carried for backup.

Now the one battery I am down to, is not working. I am using a new atty (never used), and all is does is blinks (the led button light) even though I had it on the charger all night.
I tried the other charger for a couple of hrs. still get the same thing.
Very frustrating.
I am almost to point of buying a pack cigs. ughhhh

Thank you for clarifying the information.

Contact LibertyFlights right now. Your equipment may be under warranty. This is copied from the website:

Liberty Flights
2667 Camino Del Rio S. suite# 202
San Diego, CA. 92108

Telephone : 888-807-3015

Support : support@liberty-flights.com
Sales : sales@liberty-flights.com

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I still don't quite understand how it happened that all 4 batteries started getting hot while not in use... Now, if your atomizers had a short, it would kill a battery. Happened to me. If you used the same shorted atty on a different batterey, that would kill it too. But I've never heard of 4 batteries just getting hot and frying with no provocation whatsoever... Very strange.

Are you telling us that a good battery was just on your desk, unused, and it suddenly started getting hot????

A Li-Ion battery should take anything from 250 to 300 charges. Sometimes more. Some of mine have been working fine for months.

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
I have been calling N/A
I emailed them.
I think the warranty is 14 days?
I just ordered another set, but it can take up to a week or so to get here :(

From the LF website / Riva 510 section
Liberty Flights guarantees Riva batteries for 3 months. Please see our terms and conditions for further information.

Liberty Flights guarantees Riva atomizers for 2 months or 60ml Juice throughout. Please see our terms and conditions for further information.

Liberty Flights guarantees Riva rest of kit parts for 3 months (excluding carts). Please see our terms and conditions for further information.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the Terms & Conditions for further information:
Electric Cigarette Information

The Only people that can tell you - for sure - for positive - that your equipment is under warranty IS Liberty Flights staff members. The above info was to provide you with information only. I am NOT a spokesperson for Liberty Flights and I am in no way promising you anything. I just want you to have the information.

And Liberty Flights has the best customer service I have experienced. They do stand behind their products. They do take care of customers. They do care.

You might not be getting an answer yet because there is a time difference between Texas and California. Keep trying.

Please keep us posted AND please take note of Katya's post. I am still not quite understanding your horrible situation either. We are asking and questioning you because the information you supply us May help us help someone else with the same problem you just had. And it may help us prevent a problem like you just had. The more info we have, the better equipped we are to defend ourselves against the "Smoking Battery" issue. Hope you understand.

Thanks,
Paula

PS - Never mind further explanation. I see you just posted it while I was typing this note to you. Thank you for the additional information. This is an odd situation.

Last edited:

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
IF there is any problem getting ahold of them - and IF there is any delay in getting equipment sent out to you today - you come back here and let me know.

I will Priority Mail you equipment to get you by until you get your new order straightened out. I will do that and it won't cost you a dime. You can send it back to me after you get your order. That is not a problem. I will loan you equipment and I will ship it fast. You let me know. ok? ok.

Keep trying to get ahold of LF. That should be your first source for help. I will be your back up help.

Paula in Arizona

PS - I know you are not dumb. Sometimes it is difficult for us to understand a situation so we ask questions. And sometimes we get people here who keep using faulty equipment and keep killing there equipment. They are not dumb either. They just never connected the dots. So I apologize if anything I said offended you. I never meant it that way. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
Still thinking about you. Is there a 7-11, truck stop, etc near you?

Some stores sell those disposable type of e-cigs. I know they are not good and not cost effective, but it might be the answer to a short term problem. You do have your juice so you might be able to use some of your juice to refill that disposable unit for a day or two while you wait for your order to arrive.

Just a thought.

Liberty Flights does ship fast. They always use Priority Mail.
Keep us posted.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
You're certainly smarter than I was. I had a shorted atty and promptly moved it to another battery. I just thought my first battery hadn't been charged... I lost them both.

But a 4-battery massive equipment failure is extremely rare. I'm sure Ty or Abe will be with you shortly. This is indeed strange.

And as Paula said, nobody meant to imply your incompetence. It's just that we've never heard of such a colossal malfunction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread