Help on care of system purchased

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Dove in head first! Everything seems simple enough, but thought I would ask anyway.

Yesterday I bought my first vaping system and I'm looking for some basic youtube videos or docs on care and feeding of my system. Knowledge is power.

Purchased:
    * Sigelei 75w temp control, running at 30 W
    * Aspire Atlantis 2 tank system
    * package of 5 extra atomizers from Aspire which are labeled 0.5 ohm, 20 - 30W.
    * 1-3 mg nicotine, and 2-6mg nicotine pink lemonade Element e-liquid
    * 4 batteries and charger. Bought the 4 batteries b/c I am not at home and ran one battery low. Just wanted extra batteries.

I was shown how to fill the tank, ran through one tank and refilled already.

#1) the atomizers that I bought are labeled, 0.5 ohm 20-30W. I assume this means I need to run the temp control below 30W, which is what I am at. What happens if I run it higher? Should I have purchased the 1 ohm (40 to 50W) replacement atomizers so that I do not damage anything?
    #2) How will I know if/when the coil/atomizer is bad? I keep hearing flavor. Will the coil just stop producing vapor when it goes bad in approx 3 weeks? The 3 weeks is an est from shop.
    #3) is there any danger in running the battery low, to the coil? I would think the resistance in the system would change as the battery gets lower and that might work against the coil. No clue...I'm not a EE.
    #4) I've read abt cleaning the tank. Is that just for if it gets dirty or changing liquids?

Getting away from cigarettes and trying something new.

Thanks,
    Tommy

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    1. It sounds like you bought non tc coils ? Tc coils will be ni200 or titanium. You should be using your coils in power mode between 20-30W. I don't know what will happen if you run them higher...maybe bad taste or maybe they will burn out quick.

2. It will start tasting bad. You might see the resistance rise a bit. Or it may stop working.

3. Your mod has low battery protection. It will tell you when the batteries are too low.

4. I clean tanks between flavors, and do a thorough clean about once a month.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 9, 2014
    USA. State: Inebriated.
    #1) the atomizers that I bought are labeled, 0.5 ohm 20-30W. I assume this means I need to run the temp control below 30W, which is what I am at. What happens if I run it higher? Should I have purchased the 1 ohm (40 to 50W) replacement atomizers so that I do not damage anything?
    #2) How will I know if/when the coil/atomizer is bad? I keep hearing flavor. Will the coil just stop producing vapor when it goes bad in approx 3 weeks? The 3 weeks is an est from shop.
    #3) is there any danger in running the battery low, to the coil? I would think the resistance in the system would change as the battery gets lower and that might work against the coil. No clue...I'm not a EE.
    #4) I've read abt cleaning the tank. Is that just for if it gets dirty or changing liquids?

1) .5 ohm heads..? Those aren't TC heads. It's virtually impossible to make a .5 ohm resistance coil with nickel wire (which, next to Titanium, is the only wire compatible with temperature control). You won't be able to use temperature control functionality unless you have (and use) temp control heads. Running the heads higher than their recommended wattage sort of varies on the juice. It might work fine for some juices, but thicker juices may burn, as they may not wick well/might not keep up with the higher wattage. You won't damage anything by using the .5 ohm heads versus the 1 ohm heads. It's more a matter of personal preference than anything.

2) It'll start tasting bad. Depending on the manufacturer (Aspire makes pretty decent coil heads). Usually if you change the flavor more than 2 or 3 times, the flavors will begin to bleed over into the next tank. It'll start to taste not preferable, there will be less flavor, or it may just begin to taste burnt. In any of those situations, it's usually time to swap out the head. A month is a good time estimate for how long a head will last, but it depends heavily upon usage.

3) By "running the battery low", I assume you mean "draining the battery low"? You're using a regulated device. Ideally it won't let you fire the device if the batteries are too low to safely provide power to the atomizer. You aren't really at risk of damaging your device by running your batteries as low as they'll go, but you are in danger of ruining your batteries. Since you're using a 2 battery device, and you'll be running it at around the 30W range, you'll be hard-pressed to get less than a day of usage out of the batteries. You might be able to even stretch it. But I suggest charging your batteries whenever you're around a charger/whenever it's convenient for you. I've read many places that say the higher voltage you charge a battery at, the better it is for the chemistry of the battery, so in a perfect world you'd be swapping and re-charging your batteries pretty often. How big of a difference in battery longevity? Probably not a whole crapload.

4) I'd suggest giving the tank an easy "rinse-out" whenever you switch flavors. You'll still have to contend with mixing the flavors on the heads (which might not be a big issue unless you're going from, say, a fruit flavor to a chocolate flavor) but you'll be able to get most of the aroma/flavor/remaining residue with a simple rinse. It won't hurt the tank. Disassemble, put the airflow control/head aside, rinse the tank part (including mouthpiece), dry with paper towel or air, all good to re-assemble, re-fill, and vape!

Hope that helps in 2500 words or less.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 22, 2015
    West Virginia, USA
    Hello @Tommy-Chi , welcome to the forum. Just a couple tidbits of stuff.

The rule of thumb for EVERY vape device you'll ever own is the same. Start low power, take a draw and bump it up to repeat. If it starts to taste funny, gets too hot or tastes burnt, back it down. Different flavors will have different sweet spots so you just have to experiment. Just because a coil head is rated to 30 watts doesn't mean thats where you should run it, start low (20 watts) and work your way up. If you go over the "recommended" rating of the coil you risk burning it (wick) out, and getting the wicked dry hit.

I don't clean my coils. When I switch flavors in a tank I rinse out the tank and either let it air dry or wipe it dry using a paper towel. I refill the tank with the next flavor and vape. The flavor in the coil from the last tank of juice usually disappears in 5 or 6 hits on the tank.

Coils will usually either "gunk up" or burn out the wick when they go bad. Gunking up is when the residue of juice that didn't completely vaporize stick to coils and wicks (darker sweeter juices are known to be worse to gunk up a coil). It makes the coil harder to draw on, cutting down on vapor and flavor. When a coil burns up you'll know because the draw on the tank will be a really bad flavor, and possible quite hot. If you burn a coil really bad you'll most likely have to dump the contents of the tank down the drain because that burned taste can effect the good juice left in the tank. When one is gunked up, just change the coil and keep vaping.

You bought extra batteries. Do NOT carry them in your pocket WITHOUT them being in a protective case. I saw where someone had a spare battery in their pocket and it contacted their keys and coins, and created a circuit and burned them pretty bad. They make silicone sleeves and plastic cases just for these type batteries. Safety first.

You really have nice gear. Coming off cigs you "might" have a few issues. This link is helpful to understand what your body may experience :
    A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette | E-Cigarette Forum

Enjoy the journey, life will only get better from here.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    they told you 3 weeks?????? that might be true if you vape on it 3 times a day, 1 hit per session... prebuilt coils last about 3-5 days depending on your vaping habits... heavy vaping ( 2 PAD ciggies) 3 days max... 1/2-1 PAD ciggies ehh 5 days on the coil... if you are lucky... also depends on the juice you use too... clear non sweet juices increase coil life as to where heavy tobacco based juices will trash a coil in hours... I made a heavy tobacco based PG extract that trashed coils in minutes... but I learned how to make NETs cleaner that allows for 2-3 days on a coil wick before it needed to be changed

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    they told you 3 weeks?????? that might be true if you vape on it 3 times a day, 1 hit per session... prebuilt coils last about 3-5 days depending on your vaping habits... heavy vaping ( 2 PAD ciggies) 3 days max... 1/2-1 PAD ciggies ehh 5 days on the coil... if you are lucky... also depends on the juice you use too... clear non sweet juices increase coil life as to where heavy tobacco based juices will trash a coil in hours... I made a heavy tobacco based PG extract that trashed coils in minutes... but I learned how to make NETs cleaner that allows for 2-3 days on a coil wick before it needed to be changed
    Good to know! I can see this is going to be a more expensive hobby than cigarettes. DOH!

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    I just changed the atomizer...new coil and it tastes better already. Must have burnt the prior coil/cotton when I pushed it to 40W. I'll keep it at 20 to 25W.

This is a great community. Thanks for all the tips. I'll reread all of these tips again and again!

Sincerely,
    Tommy

erikbal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 31, 2013
    Olean, NY
    Looks like everyone has answered your questions very well. I will add that when installing a new coil be sure to prime it first. Drip some juice down into the cotton and the holes on the coil where you can see the cotton. Then install and let sit for a few mins. Also can't hurt to take a few primer puffs ( without hitting the fire button).

Start low with the wattage and work your way up till you like it. They're rated for 20-30w but I run mine around 34ish most of the time and sometimes up to 40w without issue.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

All my experience is with mech mods / rdas.

From what everyone's been telling me though you got the perfect starter setup segeli + atlantis is nice.

If there's one piece of advice id give is to take everything apart weekly (or after an ejuice flood) and clean / polish all the contacts. ejuice gets gunky if you run e- through it and if it leaks it'll get between the contacts to your tank which will put more strain on your batteries which will lower their lifespan.

On that note, spend money on good batteries. They'll make your experience both safer and more enjoyable. :banana::banana::banana:

AnthonyWilliams15

Unresolved Status
    Aug 7, 2015
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    Dove in head first! Everything seems simple enough, but thought I would ask anyway.

1: I usually only run coils around 3/4 of their maximum stated wattage, if it says 30 watts I won't go higher than 22.5-24.
    2: It will start tasting like it's burnt, you won't taste the flavor much.
    3: The mod has a battery indicator, recharge it when it gets low.
    4: I clean mine about once a week regardless of how dirty it looks, I only clean it when changing liquids if they two flavors won't taste good together, its more of a personal preference thing. I clean my driptips daily.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    1: I usually only run coils around 3/4 of their maximum stated wattage, if it says 30 watts I won't go higher than 22.5-24.
    2: It will start tasting like it's burnt, you won't taste the flavor much.
    3: The mod has a battery indicator, recharge it when it gets low.
    4: I clean mine about once a week regardless of how dirty it looks, I only clean it when changing liquids if they two flavors won't taste good together, its more of a personal preference thing. I clean my driptips daily.

Yep, I backed it off to 30W and it does taste better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread