Help still have Cotinine in Urine 4 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc12771

Apr 15, 2011
Wisconsin
I have surgery coming up in 1 week and have to pass a urine cotinine. I went to 0mg nicotine 4 weeks ago and still am testing positive with the home urine tests. I have tested the ejuice and it is negative. My BMI is normal, Been drink a gallon of water a day for about 1 week, exercising and drinking detox tea. Any suggestions and has anyone tested positive this long? Help I’m freaking out that I won’t clear this.

mjc12771

Apr 15, 2011
Wisconsin
I have surgery coming up in 1 week and have to pass a urine cotinine. I went to 0mg nicotine 4 weeks ago and still am testing positive with the home urine tests. I have tested the ejuice and it is negative. My BMI is normal, Been drink a gallon of water a day for about 1 week, exercising and drinking detox tea. Any suggestions and has anyone tested positive this long? Help I’m freaking out that I won’t clear this.

Reactions: Diver9543

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
How sensitive is the test, and could you be exposed to nicotine from any other source? Even someone who's never smoked/vaped/used the gum or the patch will have trace amounts of cotinine in their urine (I'd guess it's from the natural nicotine in a number of plants), but your urine concentration should be quite close to normal after two weeks.

I agree with @puffon. It's time for a chat with your doctor to discuss the issue.

mjc12771

Apr 15, 2011
Wisconsin
How sensitive is the test, and could you be exposed to nicotine from any other source? Even someone who's never smoked/vaped/used the gum or the patch will have trace amounts of cotinine in their urine (I'd guess it's from the natural nicotine in a number of plants), but your urine concentration should be quite close to normal after two weeks.

I agree with @puffon. It's time for a chat with your doctor to discuss the issue.

I have no exposure to 2nd hand smoke. The test is 200ng/ml. The test I had Monday (3 weeks after stopping) was positive. Not sure what that level was. I have tried a couple different home tests. The surgeon said to bad need to be negative before surgery. I’m sure people try to try and fake it.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    No but it is Ojiwa tea and an all natural detox

It could be Nagasaki tea or Tall Fescue tea, means nothing. Some plants have nicotine. While it should not be enough to trip a nic test, you should test your tea. After all, you tested your liquid, why not test the tea?

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Diver9543

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have no exposure to 2nd hand smoke. The test is 200ng/ml. The test I had Monday (3 weeks after stopping) was positive. Not sure what that level was. I have tried a couple different home tests. The surgeon said to bad need to be negative before surgery. I’m sure people try to try and fake it.

It sure would help to know what the cotinine threshold the lab is using in order to spit out a "positive".

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada

That's very odd. It's generally below 50 after two weeks. In your case I'd:
    • Try to find out the exact numbers - if it was 203, it's probably still dropping and it's likely you'll be fine in another week. If it's 1000, you're still getting nicotine from something even if you're not aware of it.
    • Search for any possible nicotine exposure.
    • Try to ask the surgeon what could be causing it. I know this may not work because the surgeon's likely to be skeptical given the number of people who lie about nicotine consumption, but if you can get any insight into what's causing the problem it would really help.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I'm a little upset that a doctor is creating a situation where someone's using unknown detox teas. There have been numerous deaths and liver failures and kidney failures from people using detox teas. They don't have any regulation that says what they can and cannot put in it and and since there's so many different varieties it's nearly impossible to keep track so that the community regulates itself. Often to give people the idea that the detoxing is working they have products in them that can make your heart rate go up they can make your blood pressure rise they can give you abdominal and digestive distress they can give you a heart attack. I would not be surprised if one of them had something from the nightshade family in it

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I'm a little upset that a doctor is creating a situation where someone's using unknown detox teas. There have been numerous deaths and liver failures and kidney failures from people using detox teas. They don't have any regulation that says what they can and cannot put in it and and since there's so many different varieties it's nearly impossible to keep track so that the community regulates itself. Often to give people the idea that the detoxing is working they have products in them that can make your heart rate go up they can make your blood pressure rise they can give you abdominal and digestive distress they can give you a heart attack. I would not be surprised if one of them had something from the nightshade family in it

I agree. The only thing that's going to detox your system is your kidneys and liver. That tea isn't helping anything and it could be making things worse. If it isn't causing a positive test on it's own, it's at least stressing your system and causing overworking of your kidneys and liver.

mjc12771

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    This tea is not marketed as detox tea like you are thinking it is a tea that has been around for centuries to boost immune system, detox body and immune over all health

mjc12771

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    The original four-herb tea recipe of Ojibwa tea includes Burdock root, Indian rhubarb root, sheep sorrel, and slippery elm as the basics of the Essiac Tea and these ingredients have to be organic for the tea to do its job.

All of these ingredients have been studied and have shown to benefit the human body in one way or another, many linking them either directly or indirectly to fighting cancer and its symptoms.

1. Burdock Root - Studies show that Burdock root contains compounds that promote blood circulation, improve skin texture, remove wrinkles, stabilize and lower blood sugar and many other benefits. Detoxification of the body
    2. Indian Rhubarb Root - The root is said to provide relief from constipation and fever. It is also said to be high in antioxidants and in one study has shown signs of inhibiting the growth of liver cells in rats. The Indian rhubarb root is believed to help treat cancer and boost the immune system. Ho
    3. Slippery elm - Major benefits of slippery elm have been linked with curing coughing or bronchitis, reducing ........, and irritable bowel syndrome.
    4. Sheep sorrel - Sheep sorrel is said to have cancer-fighting properties along with anti-inflammatory properties. This plant is also linked with fighting against ........ and fever.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: Izan

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    False Positive Testing
    A compound called thiocyanate, which is found in some medications and foods including broccoli, garlic, radishes, almonds, and cabbage, can result in a false positive blood test result. Vegetarians may have elevated levels of this substance in their blood due to increased consumption of thiocyanate-containing foods.
    Exposure to second-hand smoke is usually not enough to trigger a false-positive result, but being exposed to frequent or very high levels of second-hand smoke may cause someone to test positive for nicotine use. Such results are likely very rare, however.

How to Get Nicotine Out of Your System
    The first step in getting nicotine out of your system is to completely stop using all products that contain it. The longer you keep using tobacco products, the longer the substance can be detected in your body.

Once you have stopped using nicotine, there are some steps you can take that may speed up how quickly the drug is excreted from your system.

• Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water will help remove nicotine and its metabolites from your body through urine.
    • Eat nutritious foods. Sticking to a healthful diet that includes plenty of antioxidant-containing foods may speed up how quickly nicotine is removed from your system.
    • Exercise. Regular physical activity can increase your metabolism and the rate at which the drug is processed and cleared from your body.

You may see products and herbal supplements marketed to speed up the nicotine elimination process. However, none of these have been verified or approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    This tea is not marketed as detox tea like you are thinking it is a tea that has been around for centuries to boost immune system, detox body and immune over all health
    Oh okay well at least that's good If those are materials that you're familiar with and a product that you personally have experience with. But it's still applies I imagine other people try to do it by using one of those marketed detox teas that could actively harm them. Like there's just always this quality of medical care where it hyper focuses on one thing to the detriment of all else like they're just not seeing the broad picture in things. I hope you can figure it out and get to where you need to be to get your proper healthcare

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread