HELP!?!? Throat gets EXTREMELY ITCHY!! (not a newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J0shu9

Jul 22, 2019
hey guys,

Over the past few months I have been getting a weird sensation randomly and I’m not sure what it is. I will hit my vape and all the sudden I have this extreme itchy feeling in the back of my throat that will last about 20minutes on me coughing. Once it happens I can really feel it when I take a breath in of gulp, but not when breathing out. I have been vaping for a few years so I’m not a rookie and it’s not my nicotine strength either so I’m looking for the community for some help, does anyone know what the reasoning for this is? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

J0shu9

Jul 22, 2019
Gonna be hard to pin that down because of variables. I will say when that happens to me I immediately look at wicking and coil placement. I'm referring to rta's of course.
Why do you say the placement, placement could do this? I also want to add is it’s not a dry hit I am very conscious of juicing. I actually over juice technically so do you think this could be the cause? Do you think I’m juicing to much and the hot juice is hitting the back of my throat causing irritation?

Thanks for the help brother

Reactions: stols001

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Why do you say the placement, placement could do this? I also want to add is it’s not a dry hit I am very conscious of juicing. I actually over juice technically so do you think this could be the cause? Do you think I’m juicing to much and the hot juice is hitting the back of my throat causing irritation?

Thanks for the help brother

Not dry hit per say just not enough juice to cool the coil sufficiently. Same for coil placement. Too low or too high I can get an itchy throat. When I rectify the coil or wick the problem goes away, so I know these things can cause what you describe. Not to say that's your issue though just something to consider.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Welcome to the friendly bunch :)

Hmm....difficult one. You could try changing your building routine. So if you replace cotton etc every 2 weeks then make it every week.....but honestly this does sound a bit like an allergy. Maybe it's only slight and occurs in certain circumstances....

Good luck :)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yes but I vape the same juice 24/7 and never switch. And this only occurs randomly once a week once every other week. If I was allergic to a ingredient in the juice would that irritation be all the time?
It might not be the juice. It could be anything in your environment

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
My first guess would be either PG or even diacetyl, but it's the same juice and only happens occasionally. I have one juice that bothers my throat and I believe it's PG and diacetyl (tastes like butterscotch even though it's supposed to be vanilla/pecan) Maybe actually wicking too saturated... like you are drinking the juice. Can you try the same juice in different device? Or just try same device with different juice. Others here know more about building. What VG/PG ratio and what flavor?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My first guess would be either PG or even diacetyl, but it's the same juice and only happens occasionally. I have one juice that bothers my throat and I believe it's PG and diacetyl (tastes like butterscotch even though it's supposed to be vanilla/pecan) Maybe actually wicking too saturated... like you are drinking the juice. Can you try the same juice in different device? Or just try same device with different juice. Others here know more about building. What VG/PG ratio and what flavor?
Turns out the entire diacetyl thing is utter crap. Cigarettes have hundreds of times more of it than even the heaviest vape juice and while there are a lot of things in cigarettes that caused big problems that wasn’t one of them.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
bombastinator, you might be right about the diacetyl... it might be coincidence because that juice has more PG so I don't know which is bothering me. Didn't mean to get everyone paranoid, but I've also read discussions here that some juices have very high amounts. Yes, cigs have way more... they also destroy my throat (when I smoked) so who knows. Do you do DIY juice? I suggest getting some high diacetyl butter flavor and mix a strong batch with just that for flavor and test for yourself (don't mean to be a smarty, but have you tried it?) Just like PG, could be some people are more sensitive than others. Does PG bother you? Maybe you just have a cast iron throat (hey, I'm still a new guy around here... have very much respect for those of you that have been around here awhile, but you did say "utter crap"... might want to lighten up a bit)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
bombastinator, you might be right about the diacetyl... it might be coincidence because that juice has more PG so I don't know which is bothering me. Didn't mean to get everyone paranoid, but I've also read discussions here that some juices have very high amounts. Yes, cigs have way more... they also destroy my throat (when I smoked) so who knows. Do you do DIY juice? I suggest getting some high diacetyl butter flavor and mix a strong batch with just that for flavor and test for yourself (don't mean to be a smarty, but have you tried it?) Just like PG, could be some people are more sensitive than others. Does PG bother you? Maybe you just have a cast iron throat (hey, I'm still a new guy around here... have very much respect for those of you that have been around here awhile, but you did say "utter crap"... might want to lighten up a bit)
If referring to the itchiness then remember that you also breathe. It could be something in the air.

I DIY but that stuff has been gone from USA flavorings for a long time. I wouldn’t even know where to find any.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
hey guys,

Over the past few months I have been getting a weird sensation randomly and I’m not sure what it is. I will hit my vape and all the sudden I have this extreme itchy feeling in the back of my throat that will last about 20minutes on me coughing. Once it happens I can really feel it when I take a breath in of gulp, but not when breathing out. I have been vaping for a few years so I’m not a rookie and it’s not my nicotine strength either so I’m looking for the community for some help, does anyone know what the reasoning for this is? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Welcome and glad you joined.
I would see a doctor if your problem is not mentioned in this post:
Could see: V5. Intolerance to e-liquid ingredients
A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette
Nickel intolerance, see Section 5: Areas of interest

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Bombastinator, it's not anything in the air... only happens when I vape this particular juice (that I tend to avoid, but use it when a coil is dying because it thinner and don't mind if I have to waste it to change coils) I'm glad you were not offended at my post (had a few drinks) Are you saying that all the posts I read are old ones? Could be... didn't look at the dates. I will also admit, when I first quit cigs, it's strange how I coughed with vape but that went away (like Bother Bob's link... you are so helpful to newbies BB!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread