Help troubleshooting a cotton killer juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

IProbablyHaveAName

Jan 31, 2021
This is a long running trouble with a lot of my juices and I am struggling to figure out quite what is causing it. I am struggling to get more flavor, and more sweetness out of mu juices, but even at 1 percent super sweet, it is completely wrecking cotton within a few hits, burnt out entirely by the end of the day.

I typically use 2-8% of any given flavor depending on experimentation and recommendation, and then just a dash of ws23 and 0.5-1% super sweet, in a 70/30 vg-pg solution but I have recently tried backing off the vg a bit to see if that would help flavor but it was minimal. Less super sweet helps coil life but it also is very subtle and the flavors feel more on the exhale than the inhale. Just to be sure it is not me I tried mine next to Reds and it is night and day. Theirs is just so much thicker and richer in flavor and although kills my cotton fast in the grand scheme of things, I can usually still get more than 6 hours out of it, which is more than I can say for my own juice.

It also didn't used to be like this. Yeah I have always struggled to get a WHOLE whole lot of flavor like I would like but I wasn't killing cotton like this. I get all my stuff from wizard labs and I cant tell very well if the problem is an error in my recipes or if maybe it is something up with their suppliers.

Either way, I would say the peak flavor I am succeeding to get out of my own juice is possibly 1/3 of where I want it to be in terms of flavor strength with the bar sorta being set at reds or skewezd (or however you spell it) both of which in my own experience sorta dominate the strong flavor market. Not always "better" flavor but stronger.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
OK, so.. what is the rest of the story?

Devices used, ohms of coils, type of coils, and your settings? Temp? Wattage? Volts?
Every bit of information helps.

Suggestions for a boge 1.8 single carto at 11 watts won't help someone vaping on a dual coil Arbiter at .14 ohms on an Argus at 55 watts.

IProbablyHaveAName

Jan 31, 2021
OK, so.. what is the rest of the story?

Devices used, ohms of coils, type of coils, and your settings? Temp? Wattage? Volts?
Every bit of information helps.

Suggestions for a boge 1.8 single carto at 11 watts won't help someone vaping on a dual coil Arbiter at .14 ohms on an Argus at 55 watts.

Very true. I wasn't thinking too hard about it because on both my boxes, regardless of my build or tank and coils, same issue, regardless of wattage. But to answer the question I use an unregulated box (friend of mine whos an electrical engineer made it for me so no specific brand) running in parallel. On that I usually use either the glacier 2 or dot and usually have the build around 0.2 ohms. On my voopoo drag I use a freemax mesh pro typically smack dab in the middle of the recommended coil wattage of whatever given coils I have on hand. For sake of argument lets say 80watts because that is sorta the median I think. Same issue as before on both mods. Basically squezed or reds on the tank I get 5-10 days out of. My juices with less flavor and apparently less sweet on the same "30/70" or "40/60" mixture burn out in less than 24 hours. Worse on the cotton in the drips, but the problem can be put directly relational to those 2 brands.

It very much seems like it is sweetener gunking up the coils though. The juice is turning amber very quickly when the tank is warm so I think it is the super sweet but I don't entirely know what to do instead because my juice is no where near as sweet as I know it can be and the flavor really isn't very bold. Even on more up front flavors like blueberries or strawberries, you get it mostly on the exhale. My juices are a far more intensely aromatic experience but not really any more flavorful. That is what I am hoping to work out.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SlowTalker

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
Ohio
I have been using super sweet for a few years now and haven't had a problem with it. I vape at ~1.0 ohms and 14.3 watts, if that helps you.

Back in the days when vv batts were a thing someone gave me a Kanger kit and I had the same thing happen that you're describing. I was using a commercial juice that did great in a standard resistance carto at 4.3v but in that Kanger tank with a lower resistance coil that same juice went from gold to black in about 10 hits and started tasting like burnt rubber bands. It was seriously weird. I hope you solve it. Good luck.

IProbablyHaveAName

Jan 31, 2021
I have been using super sweet for a few years now and haven't had a problem with it. I vape at ~1.0 ohms and 14.3 watts, if that helps you.

Back in the days when vv batts were a thing someone gave me a Kanger kit and I had the same thing happen that you're describing. I was using a commercial juice that did great in a standard resistance carto at 4.3v but in that Kanger tank with a lower resistance coil that same juice went from gold to black in about 10 hits and started tasting like burnt rubber bands. It was seriously weird. I hope you solve it. Good luck.
Yeah basically just feels like my juice plateaus just a bit before commercial juices. Either I get the same clouds but I burn or I turn the wattage down so its not burning but now the flavor is a fraction of what it could be.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    This is a long running trouble with a lot of my juices and I am struggling to figure out quite what is causing it. I am struggling to get more flavor, and more sweetness out of mu juices, but even at 1 percent super sweet, it is completely wrecking cotton within a few hits, burnt out entirely by the end of the day.

I typically use 2-8% of any given flavor depending on experimentation and recommendation, and then just a dash of ws23 and 0.5-1% super sweet, in a 70/30 vg-pg solution but I have recently tried backing off the vg a bit to see if that would help flavor but it was minimal. Less super sweet helps coil life but it also is very subtle and the flavors feel more on the exhale than the inhale. Just to be sure it is not me I tried mine next to Reds and it is night and day. Theirs is just so much thicker and richer in flavor and although kills my cotton fast in the grand scheme of things, I can usually still get more than 6 hours out of it, which is more than I can say for my own juice.

It also didn't used to be like this. Yeah I have always struggled to get a WHOLE whole lot of flavor like I would like but I wasn't killing cotton like this. I get all my stuff from wizard labs and I cant tell very well if the problem is an error in my recipes or if maybe it is something up with their suppliers.

Either way, I would say the peak flavor I am succeeding to get out of my own juice is possibly 1/3 of where I want it to be in terms of flavor strength with the bar sorta being set at reds or skewezd (or however you spell it) both of which in my own experience sorta dominate the strong flavor market. Not always "better" flavor but stronger.

I have a sweet tooth and love sweeteners in my juices. But I have discovered that not all sweeteners are big coil killers.

I previously used CAP Super Sweet 0.5% as it had that sugarlips taste I love. But it does gunk coils. I got FLV Sweetness recommended to me, and I tried that at 0.5%. Tasted the same as CAP SS, but my coils were MUCH cleaner. I've also used FW Sweetener at 0.5% - much cleaner coils and the same taste as CAP SS.

If you want more info on the various sweeteners out there, this page lists them all:
    Noted: Ep. 48 - Sweeteners - DIY OR DIE Vaping

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread