Help with choice of sub ohm tank plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark40511

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lexington KY
Hey - vaped for a LONG time. Mostly MTL tanks and I have been using the Zenith for a couple of years which I really like, but I'm too hard on it. I vape too much. Anyway, I've started using thicker liquids 70/30 and it's even more difficult for my Zenith. I do thin it out with a little menthol drops. But here's my question. I've been pondering going to a sub ohm tank but I just really don't know which to choose. As it stands, I'm thinking the falcon 2? Do their coils last long? Do the tanks leak even if liquid is thinned out a bit (not much). Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations, plz post reply. Thanks :)

Reactions: wvducklady

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
I vape mostly MTL and I vape a lot. I also vape 70/30. I don’t know if you are into building coils or not. I use the Kanger top fill sub ohm tank and the Ares 2. I build my own coils. The Ares 2 you have to build your own coils and the Kanger top fill I use the rba and build my own coils in it. You can buy coils for the Kanger top fill, but personally I feel they are more for DL vaping and I prefer the rba for vaping mtl. That is just my opinion. Hopefully someone else chimes in :) I don’t have any experience with the tank you mentioned :)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Mostly MTL tanks and I have been using the Zenith for a couple of years which I really like, but I'm too hard on it. I vape too much. Anyway, I've started using thicker liquids 70/30 and it's even more difficult for my Zenith. I do thin it out with a little menthol drops.

What coils have you been using in your Zeniths? Since you really like the tanks....and said you're thinking of going to a sub-ohm tank....have you tried the sub-ohm Z-coils first (ie. Plexus 0.5ohm and the 0.8ohm)? Or, do you mean you want to go to a sub-ohm tank with the larger 810 drip tip and changing to DL vaping instead of MTL?

Also, instead of menthol drops, you could try using just a few drops of distilled water in your Zeniths with your eliquid. Those would thin out your 70VG/30PG a little bit.

Last edited:

mark40511

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lexington KY
I think my biggest reason is I feel like (at least from what I've watched/read) that the sub ohm tanks /attys can handle heavy vaping and last longer. I always add a few menthol drops to my liquid. No matter what it is. I've always done that. I've also added drops of distilled water as well. What happens with my Zenith is after a few days, the draw becomes REALLY tight, like the air holes are almost closed all the way, even though I have them fully open.....making it a crappy vape. i just figured it was a combination of my heavy vaping plus the thick liquid. I have tried all the zenith coils. the 8 the 5, the 1.6... I think there is now a new coil type I haven't tried. I noticed the falcon 2 has airflow adjustment too....

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I think my biggest reason is I feel like (at least from what I've watched/read) that the sub ohm tanks /attys can handle heavy vaping and last longer.

There are sub-ohm tanks that are for MTL vaping (which will have more restricted air flow choices) and others for DL vaping (which allow for a lot more air flow)...because many DL vapers are seeking larger clouds. Depending on which you want...I'd search for tanks designated FOR that style of vaping.

mark40511

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lexington KY
I just searched and ended up on this website. It's interesting that I had no clue Zenith Z coils had so many more types of coils available than I thought they did. I thought they ONLY had the 0.5, 0.8 and 1.6. I knew Z coils worked across multiple tanks, like the Zlide, etc. But the site I've always gotten my Z coils from have always had just 3 options available........and now I see they have Ajax coils and a list of different types of coils for the Zenith. I might just try some of these instead of buying a new tank because the Zenith has been my favorite tank since vaping for over 10 years now.
Innokin Zenith Plexus Z Replacement Coils

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
now I see they have Ajax coils and a list of different types of coils for the Zenith. I might just try some of these instead of buying a new tank because the Zenith has been my favorite tank since vaping for over 10 years now.

If I were you, I'd do some more searching for vendors who have those AJAX coils at a more reasonable price. It's likely you could save some $. Element Vape's prices, from my experience, are usually pretty high compared to lots of other vendors. I'll poke around and see what I can find and post here, too.

Innokin Ajax Plex3D Replacement Coils (5 Pack) - $9.99 per box + S/H

Ajax Coil 5pcs/Pack - $10.95 per box, but very reasonable S/H. Would likely be $3.00 total S/H even for several boxes. Free S/H kicks in with them at $50 purchase. I have a 20% off coupon code from that vendor for any/all orders I place from them, that would make them $8.76 per box. But it was issued for my use only, unfortunately. :(

Will look for more though.

Innokin Ajax Replacement Coil 5pcs 0.16ohm/0.35ohm Fit Innokin Mvp5 Ajax Kit - Chinese vendor who has a 24 hour deal on them for $6.99/box. They only have 2 boxes of the 0.35ohm left though and 30 boxes of the 0.16ohm. Their S/H for a small quantity is pretty high. Usually it's best to buy from them if you're buying quite a few items though, that make the per item S/H average out to not so much. Also, coming from Hong Kong, they'd take likely 2-3 weeks to get to you.

Innokin Ajax Replacement Coil - 5PK - They have an order on the way to them, for $8.71 per box. You'll need to sign up for an account to see their prices. Then, on the coils page linked...ask to be notified when they're back in stock. Their S/H is a minimum of $9.99, so it's best to order severls things and/or order enough to hit their Free S/H with is at $75 or more.

Last edited:

mark40511

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lexington KY
Thanks! I didn't realize you could buy directly from Innokin. It's interesting that I read on one site that the Ajax coils are compatible with Zenith tanks, but on Innokin's site, under Z coils or Ajax Coils, it tells what tanks coils are compatible with, and it doesn't say under Ajax coils that they are compatible w/ Zenith. I also found this chart which gives the recommending base mix ratio, wattage, etc for each coil. 70/30 should work fine (so they say) I will say that the last time I bought 3 (5) packs of 1.6 ohm and I'm still on the first box (with one left, I think) and I washed my tank, dried it and started a new coil yesterday. This coil I have now is amazing. I didn't dilute or cut the 70/30 in any way except for adding a few menthol drops. It says hydrated and each puff is wet and flavorful.......The last few I've used this was not the case......I felt like it was a struggle for it to keep the coil hydrated with my vaping style, which I haven't changed. I do remember this: the last few coils I used, they are push to fit, then turn so they are aligned correctly before screwing the bottom on. Usually, they slide in decently easy, but the last few, I felt like I had to really push them in hard. So I may have had some crappy coils that coincidentally happened at the same time I switched to 70/30.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I will say that the last time I bought 3 (5) packs of 1.6 ohm and I'm still on the first box (with one left, I think) and I washed my tank, dried it and started a new coil yesterday. This coil I have now is amazing. I didn't dilute or cut the 70/30 in any way except for adding a few menthol drops. It says hydrated and each puff is wet and flavorful.......The last few I've used this was not the case......I felt like it was a struggle for it to keep the coil hydrated with my vaping style, which I haven't changed.

That's terrific! :banana: It's not too surprising that with the thousands of coils they must produce on a regular basis...that a few here and there might be "duds". Glad it's working out for you!

I must admit...that I was a little puzzled as to why your eliquids at 70VG/30PG weren't wicking well, because my DIY eliquids are all at 60VG/40PG and sometimes a little higher VG. Also, I have 2 friends who vape 70VG/30PG...and none of us have ever had a wicking issue with the Z-coils...yet. Guess none of us has had a "dud" coil yet though.

By the way - You do know about the USPS shipping ban that will take effect pretty soon, right? You might want to really stock up as much as you can on Z-Coils, and/or the AJAX ones, etc. Some vape shops may sell them (if any can stay open), but they'll likely be much more $$ from them. Might want to jump on some of the Z-Coils at the lowest price...from KangerWholesaleUSA.com. They ship via UPS and UPS won't be handling any vape packages as of April 5th.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
the last few coils I used, they are push to fit, then turn so they are aligned correctly before screwing the bottom on. Usually, they slide in decently easy, but the last few, I felt like I had to really push them in hard.

Yep, that doesn't sound like those coils were well-made at all. I've been using Z-coils and Zeniths since 2018 and have never gotten any like that (knock on wood now).

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Good luck. You should still be able to buy at a vape shop, but selection will be limited and prices will be minimum 3x.

Then the problem is in September with PMTAs. What will be approved?
    My opinon: not much. Disposables with tobacco eliquid is probably a safe bet, though.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    There are some new Z coils (0.3 ohm) I got a Kroma-Z (it's like a pod/mod) that came with a 0.8 and a 0.3 coils (like them both) If your tank can do enough airflow (personally I like restricted DL), you might really like those 0.3 coils.
    Like others, I don't get why you are having issues with your juice (especially slightly thinned out) Maybe just take shorter draws and pause between draws (chain vaping will do in most coils) but if you really want full DL and chain vaping, get another tank for that (many good choices... even if time runs out I think you can still order from china but it takes forever to ship)
    What mod are you using?

mark40511

ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2009
    Lexington KY
    Hey - the mod I'm using is the Aegis solo (which I don't think they make anymore) and it takes a single 18650. I LOVE the mod. I will say this last 1.6 z coil I've been using for 2 days now has been perfect...I usually have 2 air holes open, sometimes 3, sometimes all the way open. But it usually stays on 2. I noticed some of the new z coils......there are like SIX different coils now. I just recently learned this because the sites I usually buy from, only have 3. I might try some of the other coils but I wanted to say I'm in Lexington KY, we have several vape shops here. I randomly just called one. The guy was super nice and helpful...but I wanted to know if he would get my coils for me. He said he couldn't special order anything like that because they don't want to sit on product where just one person is buying it. He said with that's happening and business increases and more people start shopping there, the prices will probably come down and if they get more requests for certain things, they will start stocking them. He also said he wondered to himself (since vaping supplies can be shipped to businesses only) why couldn't someone just go downtown and buy a biz license and then order the supplies you need since it won't be illegal to ship to businesses. I don't know anything about doing that. But he said he was trying to think of loopholes.

This is going to be my limit for stock up. I'm going to try to buy 10 (100 ml) bottles of 3mg Juice Head
    and 5 packs of z coils. What happens AFTER that is anybody's guess. I can't see me stopping vaping. I've vaped way too long now and I feel like I'd be lost without it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread