Help with Madvapes vv board

Status
Not open for further replies.

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
OK, I took a look at it and it's a surface mount regulator. The relatively large tab IS the heatsink and it is meant to be soldered onto the large pad at the top of the board.

Wipe the board down with ISO alcohol first, to remove any oils/contaminants to aid in solder "wetting". If you have liquid flux, dab the pads, pins and heatsink tab with it prior to soldering. Have an assistant hold the regulator down with tweezers or a small screwdriver in place, taking care to align the pins with the pads. Tack solder the outermost pins to hold the part in place. Place the side of your iron's tip against the junction between the tab and the large pad and feed a small amount of solder to said junction. You want a smooth, uniform, concave "ramp" of solder between the pad and tab, not a "gob", so it doesn't take much solder; just enough to ensure good heat transfer.
Proceed to apply solder to the pins and you're done! Any questions, feel free to ask or PM me. Good luck!

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
It is not absolutely necessary to solder the metal tab to the board, but it does add rigidity to it and dissipates heat a little better. On commercial boards, the solder flows around and under the tab, thoroughly securing it to the board. The part is applied to the board with solder paste under it and the board is sent through a wave solder machine which melts the solder paste and (usually) achieves a perfect solder joint. I was the guy who reworked (by hand) those few that the machine would mess up, lol.

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
No prob, buddy!
Do you have flux, though? Or solder wick?
Coat the shorted pins with flux and swipe them with your iron. Refer to the video I posted earlier in this thread (I edited my post, lol). If there is not too much solder on them, the solder shorts will separate. If there is too much solder, use solder wick or a solder sucker to remove some of the excess.
Don't give up, you'll get the hang of it!
I'm done for the day, so, g'night, guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread