Help with wicking (Berserker 1.5 mtl rta)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalSteve

Mar 10, 2019
I got my first rebuildable - Berserker 1.5 mtl rta and am having trouble wicking it properly. The cotton is either too thin and it leaks and gurgles or too thick and I'm getting weak flavor and dry hits. I watched some YouTube videos about building very closely and try to have minimal resistance when I pull the cotton through and even then I have to take primer puffs every few drags to avoid dry hits. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I'm using the super fine mtl fused Clapton that came with the tank, which my device reads as .68 ohms. I've tried 80% vg and 70% vg liquids and Cotton Bacon Prime and cotton pads. I usually keep my watts between 17 and 21. I dry-burn the coil and saturate the cotton before filling the tank and I can see the cotton sticking out of the bottom of the ports.

In the pic below, I think the cotton is a bit too tight. The liquid doesn't seem to feed into the cotton enough and I have the other problems I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance!

20190924_194711.jpg

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thanks, guys!

I'm going to try more in the coils, with thinner and shorter tails.

How tight should it be in the coil? The coil shouldn't pull when I pull the cotton through, right?

It's harder to judge how tight with mtl claptons, as they don't move as easily as 28ga wire does.

I use cotton bacon prime and I twist an end of the cotton tight, poke it in the coil, pull it through a bit with tweezers, and then pull it through with my fingers, while it's still twisted. If the coil distorts with the wick twisted, I'm using too much cotton, so I pull it out, pull off a few strands and start again.

Otherwise I untwist it, and pull it side to side, if I can pull it easily through the coil - it's too loose.

It's a delicate balance between too loose and too tight. But you do get a lot better at figuring out straight away how much cotton to use - trust me :thumb:

And as you are already doing - let how it vapes tell you when you have it right or wrong.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread