The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Help with wicking (Berserker 1.5 mtl rta)

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by MetalSteve, Sep 25, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MetalSteve

MetalSteve Senior Member

Mar 10, 2019
    I got my first rebuildable - Berserker 1.5 mtl rta and am having trouble wicking it properly. The cotton is either too thin and it leaks and gurgles or too thick and I'm getting weak flavor and dry hits. I watched some YouTube videos about building very closely and try to have minimal resistance when I pull the cotton through and even then I have to take primer puffs every few drags to avoid dry hits. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I'm using the super fine mtl fused Clapton that came with the tank, which my device reads as .68 ohms. I've tried 80% vg and 70% vg liquids and Cotton Bacon Prime and cotton pads. I usually keep my watts between 17 and 21. I dry-burn the coil and saturate the cotton before filling the tank and I can see the cotton sticking out of the bottom of the ports.

In the pic below, I think the cotton is a bit too tight. The liquid doesn't seem to feed into the cotton enough and I have the other problems I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance!

20190924_194711.jpg

2. Jwaterski

Jwaterski Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2013
    OKC, OK
    Not an expert by any means, but looks like you need more cotton in the coil and less tails, thin the tails anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tabac man

Tabac man Super Member

May 24, 2019
    London
    More in the coil. Less in the tails. I use 2mm id coils and thin maybe 25% off. Sticking out the bottom is way too long. The tails shouldn't be visible at the bottom. I have mine about 1/4-1/2 way down.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MetalSteve

MetalSteve Senior Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Thanks, guys!

I'm going to try more in the coils, with thinner and shorter tails.

How tight should it be in the coil? The coil shouldn't pull when I pull the cotton through, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    It's harder to judge how tight with mtl claptons, as they don't move as easily as 28ga wire does.

I use cotton bacon prime and I twist an end of the cotton tight, poke it in the coil, pull it through a bit with tweezers, and then pull it through with my fingers, while it's still twisted. If the coil distorts with the wick twisted, I'm using too much cotton, so I pull it out, pull off a few strands and start again.

Otherwise I untwist it, and pull it side to side, if I can pull it easily through the coil - it's too loose.

It's a delicate balance between too loose and too tight. But you do get a lot better at figuring out straight away how much cotton to use - trust me :thumb:

And as you are already doing - let how it vapes tell you when you have it right or wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MetalSteve

MetalSteve Senior Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm getting better.

This is the cotton pad. The coil tugged a tiny bit when I pulled the cotton through. I thinned the ends and cut them a little shorter than I usually do. So far no leaking or dry hits. It's gurgling just a little and the flavor is better than before.

20190924_215135.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Tabac man

Tabac man Super Member

May 24, 2019
    London
    It likes to have its tails combed out. When combing the wick should stay fixed in the coil. If it's sliding about it's too loose.

• Like Like x 1