HELP! Would YOU move into this apt??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Orange County, CA
Hubbs and I want to move (our current apt is too small). We found an awesome place 2 blocks away from where we currently live, for only $50 more per month.

It has a courtyard, tall white carved double doors, huge italian tile sunken entry way, extremely large living room (with french doors that lead into the courtyard), wet bar, fireplace, walking distance to the beach...

All in all- its stunning. Its near a park, and its very spacious, and there's the courtyard- all huge plus signs for when my step kids come to visit. Its perfect for entertaining...

Here's the BIG downside- I'm concerned the little coat closet may have a mildew/mold problem. The apt has a bit of a musty smell (which cleared up a bit when we opened up the doors and windows- i'm sure lack of air circulation is adding to the issue), and the neighbor told me that the previous tenant had trouble with mold in the coat closet after rainy seasons, and the landlord "doesn't seem too concerned" to fix it. It was built in the 1920s so its an oldie.

For this killer apt- I gotta say, I'm willing to get a dehumidifier and some DampRid and move in... Some smaller little downsides are- there's no fridge so i'd have to buy one (and the fridge space is VERY narrow). The wet bar looks like it could use a re-tile, and there's only a shower, no bathtub (pooh! :( ).

But the bottom line is overall- the place is amazing, my main gripe is the damn potential mildew/mold issue.

THOUGHTS??

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Get the Apt. for sure.

Once you move in remove the drywall from closet and replace it yourself. It is not a big or expensive job.

If the framing shows signs of mold after you remove the drywall then place a plastic vapor barrier between the new drywall and the framing. That one is just a temporary band aid fix but should last enough years for a renters satisfaction.

DW

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm we lived in an apartment in our early married days, the mold would grow on the walls if there was a piece of furniture up against it, the windowsils and all around the windows was impossible to keep free of mold, I would spray a bleach solution on it.

We lived there for about two years, we were fine... but my son who was a tiny baby at the time would have these strange fevers for no reason, I never figured out what was causing them - could have been something at his daycare for all I know... thankfully we moved, and changed daycare at the same time, and the fevers stopped.

If the problem is just in one closet, I bet you can contain it... would it cost alot to have it checked out by a profesional?

Elle

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Orange County, CA
lol- not only $50 a month, just $50 more a month than we currently pay for our smaller place we live in now. :)

thanks for all the responses!! we have lots to think about, i just can't help falling in love with the place. i've already mentally decorated it and decided where the christmas tree will be, how i'll lay out holiday meals, the way i'll set up conversational seating around the fireplace...

the mold isn't currently visable, but the neighbor gave us a heads up about the previous tentants issue w/ the closet and when we came in we could smell a little something.

ugh- decisions decisions!! i'm so conflicted! :(

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Elle - that mold issue - that's a tough one for sure!

We bought an older home that had mold in a closet. The worst thing was that we didn't know when we bought the home because clothing, shoes, etc were crammed in the closet.

Appears the water and sewer pipes were running behind the closet wall and had a leak that wasn't fixed for years. There was black fuzzy mold all over the baseboard and up the wall.

Before moving in, we sectioned off that part of the house and then (with respirator masks, gloves, overalls) we tore down the walls. Behind the walls was black mold on the studs. To make a long story short - that whole section of the house got a completely new face lift. $$$$$$$$$$$.

If we had known about the mold, we wouldn't have bought the house. Not because of the $$ we spent to correct it, but because of the health issue. Mold puts spores in the air that you breathe and can make you deathly ill. It especially causes permanent damage to the CNS (central nervous system).

If the landlord isn't concerned about the mold (shame on him) and not willing to fix it (someone should take him to court), if it were me, I would back away - way away - from renting it.

Your concern is justified - don't risk you or your loved ones health. Keep looking!

bigeyes

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm we lived in an apartment in our early married days, the mold would grow on the walls if there was a piece of furniture up against it, the windowsils and all around the windows was impossible to keep free of mold, I would spray a bleach solution on it.

We lived there for about two years, we were fine... but my son who was a tiny baby at the time would have these strange fevers for no reason, I never figured out what was causing them - could have been something at his daycare for all I know... thankfully we moved, and changed daycare at the same time, and the fevers stopped.

If the problem is just in one closet, I bet you can contain it... would it cost alot to have it checked out by a profesional?
My friend was pregnant in this house, then her son had a seizure as an infant. They lived in the house for several years before the mold was discovered and determined to be the cause of his health problems. By then he had irreversible brain damage from the seizures he'd suffered for several years.

Apparently babies, the elderly and people with respiratory problems are more likely to have problems from it. I know her experience ended my love affair with old Victorian homes. :(

Toxic Mold Symptoms, New York Tort Lawyers, Stachybotrys Chartarum, Dangerous Chemicals

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
lol- not only $50 a month, just $50 more a month than we currently pay for our smaller place we live in now. :)

thanks for all the responses!! we have lots to think about, i just can't help falling in love with the place. i've already mentally decorated it and decided where the christmas tree will be, how i'll lay out holiday meals, the way i'll set up conversational seating around the fireplace...

the mold isn't currently visable, but the neighbor gave us a heads up about the previous tentants issue w/ the closet and when we came in we could smell a little something.

ugh- decisions decisions!! i'm so conflicted! :(

Must be tired--LOL--well if that is the case then Elle--why buy into trouble---in todays market--there has to be other places without issues--------so think about what you are getting into---Sun

Elle

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Orange County, CA
thank you all so much!

i think what i'll do first is just ask the owner what the deal is- hopefully she'll be honest. i'm pretty sure she's had it tested before for mold, so i'm going to ask to see the findings (if what was found was the dreaded "black mold").

If its the Baddie- then that's obviously a deal breaker. If its one of the many benign types of seasonal molds, then i'm goint to invest in a dehumidifier, DampRid, and an air purifier and move myself on in (i've inhaled worse... much worse! lol).

Question though- if she HAS had it tested- and there was black mold found- isn't the company doing the testing required to report the owner if they don't have it repaired (even if not through them)? I could swear i heard that somewhere but i could be wrong. If thats not a law- it should be!

bigeyes

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
I'm not sure. I was working in a building in Napa during the floods and they didn't seem to have any laws in effect to protect us from mold when it happened. I was already sick and nobody could tell me anything that would force my employer to even call a professional about mold removal.

After my friend's experience I was already nervous and the EPA, health department and OSHA were no help whatsoever.

It seems to me the only way to force people to do right is to hire attorneys, which only works when you have the money to do so. When it comes to a rental situation I would be extremely cautious.

mizmare

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
St Paul, MN US
Only move there if they fix the problem and if you can smell it... odds are it's in more spots than the closet. I rented a place that had mold in the basement behind paneling, so we weren't aware. I ended up with asthma problems & migraines all the time. I was miserable! When we found the problem (a friend came over and smelled it) I asked for it to be fixed and of course got put off (stupid me, renting from a friend). Anyhow, bought a house and honest to gawd... not an asthma attack in 2 yrs. Still have migraines. :(

Hope all works out for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread