The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

"Helping Hands" or Lighted Magnifiers, etc - do you guys use them?

Discussion in 'The GG' started by subver, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. subver

subver Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    I'm thinking of getting a nice set of "helping hands"

[​IMG]

Or some kind of lighted magnifier... especially since I got a Tsaf, I don't have a lot of light in my apartment at night and it's hard to put the wires together. I think it would help for wrapping coils, too.

Do you guys use anything like that? I'm trying to find a good quality item.. a lot of stuff I see on Amazon has many bad reviews. There is one for $75 but that is a bit too expensive!

I was even thinking of one of those lighted magnifiers that goes on your head, that would be useful!

Any suggestions?

2. RiverNut

RiverNut Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 1, 2012
    Texas
    I need a magnifyer too and found the same problem...a bunch of crap. But my old eyes are getting tired of straining. I don't see the "hands" being necessary but a well made magnifyer/light combo would be nice.

3. gtbb

gtbb Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Cape Coral,Florida
    Hay Sub I think the lighted magnifier for your head is a better idea. I have helping hands and never used them for coil making. And while I don't have a lighted magnifier for my head while using the Tsaf I see how that could be useful. Hope that makes sense.

4. spacekitty

spacekitty Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5 Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 3, 2010
    SoCal, USA
  5. subver

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Yeah I can't really see myself using the alligator clips, but I'm sure if I don't get it I will need them somehow haha.
    But yeah.. a lighted magnifier would probably be great... it's hard to use the Tsaf when I can't see up very close to the wires.. it's hit or miss (especially when it's dark out) even if I get a good spark.
    I do have a science and hobby shop near me, I will have to check them out first.

6. dokebilee

dokebilee Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2009
    Queens, NY
  7. house mouse

house mouse Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2010
    BFE
    My kitchen table has a bright light over it and I just use the reading glasses from Wal Mart to rebuild coils with. That works fine for me and I can't see squat up close. Maybe those glasses and a bright table lamp would work for you?

8. MamaTried

MamaTried Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2013
    Northern California
    wrapped my first coil today with help of the one above from harbor freight.

9. subver

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Haha yeah that helmet from Honey I Shrunk the Kids would be great!

I think one of those lighted magnifiers on an arm would be more than enough to help. I'm looking at this now. Not sure where I could get one local.. I would rather do that I think. Maybe WalMart or Target?

10. subver

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    For those of you using welders like the Tsaf, Manolis gave me a really good idea that might help.
    Basically, just put your wires in a pencil like this:

[​IMG]

That way you are only working in 2 dimensions instead of 3. I can't wait to try this! I think it'll make it infinitely easier.

11. Darkreign

Darkreign Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

12. *ASH*

*ASH* لــــونــــــا Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2012
    Germany
    I think I will try this next time lol

13. Jojobo

Jojobo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 10, 2012
    Northeast USA
    hahahaha and my husband laughs at ME when I where two pair of glasses because I can't see the wires.....ROFL

14. gtbb

Apr 22, 2012
    Cape Coral,Florida
    Amazing what you people will do for your GG's! I love it.

15. erich

erich Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I haven't needed one (yet) for building coils, but I have used both for soldering. The hands with the clips are definitely useful when you need to hold a board, a soldering iron, and solder. However, I generally don't need the third hand for building coils. To focus through a magnifier, you have to align the distance between your eyes, your target, and the glass. With the alligator clips, you're basically limited to moving only your head, where the magnifier gives you the freedom to move your hands up and down as well. At least for me, the latter is more naturally intuitive. It seems to just work out that I keep it in focus, whereas with the clips, I constantly find myself having to adjust my head.

16. anavidfan

anavidfan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    I use a large lighted magnifying stand on rollers like this , I had a set of the small "helping hands" mine was not lighted, but the area of the glass was too small and limiting. Amazon has a good sized lighted stand with a large area to see and enough space under it to work with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. dspin

dspin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2010
    USA
  18. RiverNut

RiverNut Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 1, 2012
    Texas
  19. gtbb

Apr 22, 2012
    Cape Coral,Florida
    That one looks great! Should do the trick. Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.