Here I am, teach me how to build please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
If you don't mind answering a few questions, it'll give us a better idea of where to start.
  • What tank will you be using, or are you looking for suggestions there too? If so, what are you using now and what are you looking for in a rebuildable?
  • Regulated or mech?
  • What sort of resistance do you like vaping at?
  • Do you have any building kit (wire, coil jig, things like that) yet?
  • Do you plan to use temperature control (TC)?
Tip #1: Steam Engine is your friend. It'll help you plan your builds. Tell it your wire, ID (inside diameter) and wraps, and it'll tell you what the resistance should be as well as giving an indication of whether it's likely to work well.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The vast majority of vapers who build are using either a dripper (RDA) or a tank (RTA). It is probably easiest to begin on a RDA, because a RDA is much more forgiving learning how to wick it. RTA's have more variations in wicking depending upon the model you have, so wicking can be a bit more tricky.

These guides below are not necessarily tutorials, but information resources. Some of the videos included in the guides can be considered tutorials.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod

Information Resources for Your First RBA

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
New
Hello everyone, I'm Melanie and I'm the new girl on the block! I've been vaping a little over 3 yrs and I'm currently wanting to learn how to build my own coils! I'm open to any advice! Hit me with everything you can!
Everything is a lot.
The bright side is the basics are easy.
Easier to do it in stages though. Learn to build for one atomizer, then learn to build for another. By the time you’ve done 3 or 4 you can build for anything. They’re all really pretty similar. You take some wire, you wrap it around something round, and you screw one end to each end of a battery. It’s not hard. There are subtleties though which can make things go better or worse, and can change from atty to atty.

So: step 1: what atomizer do you want to build on?

Reactions: stols001

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
If you don't mind answering a few questions, it'll give us a better idea of where to start.
  • What tank will you be using, or are you looking for suggestions there too? If so, what are you using now and what are you looking for in a rebuildable?
  • Regulated or mech?
  • What sort of resistance do you like vaping at?
  • Do you have any building kit (wire, coil jig, things like that) yet?
  • Do you plan to use temperature control (TC)?
Tip #1: Steam Engine is your friend. It'll help you plan your builds. Tell it your wire, ID (inside diameter) and wraps, and it'll tell you what the resistance should be as well as giving an indication of whether it's likely to work well.
Either you scared her away:p or she's doing her due diligence. I'm glad you and @Baditude took the time to give her some info. When someone asks that question I usually run to another thread. When I think of everything involved and what I went through to learn how to build it's an overwhelming question, indeed. Or maybe I don't want to be responsible for someone singeing the tip of their nose, lol. And that gives me an idea. Maybe I can pitch in with some safety guidelines?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Either you scared her away:p or she's doing her due diligence. I'm glad you and @Baditude took the time to give her some info. When someone asks that question I usually run to another thread. When I think of everything involved and what I went through to learn how to build it's an overwhelming question, indeed. Or maybe I don't want to be responsible for someone singeing the tip of their nose, lol. And that gives me an idea. Maybe I can pitch in with some safety guidelines?
Burnt your nose? I’m ridiculously nearsighted and even I have to have something about 4 inches away from my face before I can focus on it at all

• Informative
Reactions: muth

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Burnt your nose? I’m ridiculously nearsighted and even I have to have something about 4 inches away from my face before I can focus on it at all

Ahahah... Had to trim my hair last week... Doing a TC check, and ended up with a burnt wick. It needed a trim anyway though... Nearsighted also.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
@MelanieS I thought I might contribute some safety tips. I never thought I would make this mistake but it happened. I was squeezing a contact coil working out the hotspots. I didn't own a pair of ceramic tweezers yet so I fired, released the button and squeezed. Somehow I got a brain fart and did the opposite. I fired up the coil while squeezing with metal tweezers. That coil shot off the deck so fast I didn't even see where it went. Point is, it could have hit my eye. Luckily, I was wearing jeweler's goggles but it also could have hit my face or worse, flown in my mouth.

Get yourself ceramic tweezers and/or wear eye protection (at least when you're starting out). Just snipping wire causes the pieces to fly about if you don't hold them down.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@MelanieS I thought I might contribute some safety tips. I never thought I would make this mistake but it happened. I was squeezing a contact coil working out the hotspots. I didn't own a pair of ceramic tweezers yet so I fired, released the button and squeezed. Somehow I got a brain fart and did the opposite. I fired up the coil while squeezing with metal tweezers. That coil shot off the deck so fast I didn't even see where it went. Point is, it could have hit my eye. Luckily, I was wearing jeweler's goggles but it also could have hit my face or worse, flown in my mouth.

Get yourself ceramic tweezers and/or wear eye protection (at least when you're starting out). Just snipping wire causes the pieces to fly about if you don't hold them down.
This makes no sense to me. Wasn’t the coil screwed in already?

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Actually, I was thinking more of a battery failure or something. I have to wear jeweler's goggles most of the time now. Especially on micro coils and tiny decks.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
This makes no sense to me. Wasn’t the coil screwed in already?
Yesss......I created a short when I touched the coil with metal tweezers and powered it up. Same reason why your coil shouldn't make contact with the deck or chamber, etc. You know how people say to make sure you clean out any metal burrs? They could cause a short as well if they work their way to the "wrong places".

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Right, but how did the coil become unattached to the posts, did it melt?
Maybe someone here can give you a more technical answer but, no, a short doesn't cause the coil to melt but the power of the short is enough to blast it off the posts. It just snapped off it's legs and flew like the speed of light, lol. It literally disappeared before my eyes. I would do it again on video for a visual example but I don't own a welder's helmet, lol. Better yet, a suit of armor! I was very startled by the experience and never made that mistake again. I just don't use metal tweezers, period.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
bombastinator said:
You take some wire, you wrap it around something round, and you screw one end to each end of a battery. It’s not hard.
What? She might take you literally. This isn't something just anyone should be doing.
@bombastinator , I think you are over simplifying things. The skills required to wrap a coil can be easily learned with experience and practice over time, sure. But learning the math and science of Ohm's Law to vape safely can be more difficult to understand, but are critical just the same. We, or at least I do, see this all the time on the forum. Some folks just have a real difficult time understanding the relationship between a certain number of wraps and the resultant measurement of coil resistance. Understanding how "coil mass" affects ramp up time. Understanding what an "amp draw" of a coil is, or how to choose the right battery for the coil resistance used. How different wire types and wire gauges affect coil resistance. Etc, ect. That's the hard part.

Once the science concepts are learned and understood, then all that remains to be learned is the skills required to wrap a wire. That's the easy part.

If someone can't understand how Ohm's Law calculations work, then they probably should not be building coils.

Last edited:

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
@bombastinator , you are over simplifying things. The skills required to wrap a coil can be easily learned with experience and practice over time, sure. But learning the math and science of Ohm's Law to vape safely can be more difficult to understand, but are critical just the same. We, or at least I do, see this all the time on the forum. Some folks just have a real difficult time understanding the relationship between a certain number of wraps and the resultant measurement of coil resistance. Understanding how "coil mass" affects ramp up time. Understanding what an "amp draw" is, or how to choose the right battery for the coil resistance used. How different wire gauges affect coil resistance. Etc, ect. That's the hard part.

Once the science concepts are learned and understood, then all that remains to be learned is the skills required to wrap a wire. That's the easy part.

If someone can't understand how Ohm's Law calculations work, then they probably should not be building coils.

Actually, when I got started I had no idea what resistance I was gonna get, and what would be desirable and so on, and to be honest, I still don't care all that much. I always use one of two types of wire, and do as many wraps as possible, so I always get about the same resistance (obviously...). Only simple coils since I use Temperature Control (apparently ít works best with simple single wire coils). Granted I wouldn't wanna have anything to do with a mechanical mod, but since I'm not planning to get into that, I'll let the microprocessor do the math.

To the original question: Here's how I learned building: When I bought the wire, I also got a small pack of pre made coils that were a good fit for my mood. That way, I could practice installing and wicking the coil on a well made coil, before I started building my own coils. And once ready to start building , I could use the pre-made coils as templates

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I did the same, still got most of the premade coils. Using some fancy wire, in TC, now. suffering some ramp time, but as I mostly session like it was a smoke break, that's fine. Got what mooch calls good all around batteries, so I know when they claim to be able to handle the amp draw I want, they actually can. Still don't understand ohms law enough to tell you what any of these microprocessor controlled voltage regulators fo when a SS316L coil changes resistance as it heats... Best guess, is, a good chip varies voltage and amperage to reduce strain on itself, but always hitting the set wattage... But beyond the thicker the wire, or longer the length that goes into the coil, the higher the resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread