Here is an article you don't want to miss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
The article's mention of formaldehyde really surprised me... what in an e-cig would produce the amounts mentioned?

I don't know. It's a by-product of something or other breaking down. The important thing to note is the amount. They found a few micrograms - the same amount in an FDA-approved Nicotrol Inhaler.

vapmex

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Mexico
That's not accurate.. the article mentions that formaldehyde found in e cigs varied from 3 micrograms to 50!! (50 which is comparable to analogs), what it impacts me is the large difference between one product to the other.. is it possible to clarify what product contained less and which one cointained the most? there is a huge opportunity to understand what is generating more formaldehyde, it could be the VG or the PG concentration or it could be the flavors or BTW it could be a more powerful device. 3 micrograms is comparable with nicorette, 50 micrograms is comparable to Analogs, that is a huge difference.

What also dissapointed me is the fact that they used commercial e cigs for this test, I saw the photo of the tested devices and all of the seem slim 510 devices when a normal vaper uses more powerful toppers like boges cartos or clearomizers that run at higher voltages.

I don't know. It's a by-product of something or other breaking down. The important thing to note is the amount. They found a few micrograms - the same amount in an FDA-approved Nicotrol Inhaler.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
Here is an explanation about formaldehyde by Yvilla:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...91973-formaldehyde-e-vapor-2.html#post8946379

Dr. Mike and those suspecting PG in the formation of formaldehyde appear to be wrong. The particular study mentioned here does not specify the specific makeup (or PG versus glycerin content) of the liquids studied.

BUT, many of the same authors are presenting a paper at the SRNT meeting in Boston this week that DOES. And from the following it is pretty clear that indeed it is glycerin, and not PG, that is associated with formaldhyde (and acrolein) being found in vapor:
...snip...
Formaldehyde and acroleinwere only found in vapors generated from glycerin-based solutions
(0.116±0.022 and0.110±0.190μg/30 puffs) and in tobacco smoke (12 and 32-fold higher levels,
respectively).

Last edited:

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
I cane across a study where they dropped eliquid on to a hot metal plate to study the difference 'dripping' made to what the user got. (Yeah, I know, like we actually drip onto hot plates ) Produced formaldehyde not surprisngly given that they were burning the eliquid.
It dose however raise the specter of what 'dry hits' produce.
And it might explain the results of this test if they 'puffed' the ecig dry.
Sorry, can't find the particular study now, I think it might have been the Polish one and this was mentioned in an interview or something.
Again sorry, my head is all over the place atm, health scare in the family.

vapmex

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Mexico
Excellent article!!.... thanks for sharing.

So VG is what breaks in Formaldehyde, it is strange that most of the US vendors sell heavy VG based liquids. The only pro that I see is that generates more vapor, but for the flavor side I can tell that VG diminishes it, liquid producers need to add more flavorings to the liquid in order to "pair" the PG experience and this drive to another issue, the thinest straw on the healthy aspect of the e liquids come on the flavorings, this is where we have more lack of control of the substances mixed on the liquids, so the message is more VG equals more flavorings and implies more risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread