Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Just looked up IQOS. Not heard of this before. Will have to do a bit more reading about it.

A very similar product, albeit probably less refined, was introduced here in 2009 under the name Ploom. Curiously, also invented by the same two Stanford grads who gave us JUUL. It was a total failure. I really hope that iQos is better than Ploom. ;)

The Ploom is Here.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    A very similar product, albeit probably less refined, was introduced here in 2009 under the name Ploom. Curiously, also invented by the same two Stanford grads who gave us JUUL. It was a total failure. I really hope that iQos is better than Ploom. ;)

The Ploom is Here.
    Thanks @Katya, had a read of the thread about the Ploom, did seem a bit wacky to say the least.
    I've had a little read up on the IQOS and does seem to be a different concept of heating tobacco rather than burning it. Appears you have to buy the tobacco pods/sticks to go in it rather than putting Golden Virginia in it out of a pouch.
    Not sure I agree that its safer than vaping! What's in the little pods or sticks.
    Guess it's an alternative to smoking.
    I will carry on reading lol.

Reactions: Katya

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yup so iqos will be what people will use and I guarantee it's going to be just as bad as smoking a cigarette.

That's what I said the first time I saw it. All you're doing is sucking in the same chemicals you would be sucking in on a regular combustible cigarette. At least that's the way I see it. Cost is probably the same or more in the end, too.

IQOS is an alternative to smoking, but no one will ever convince me that it is a worthwhile alternative or that it is safer than vaping nic liquid.

IQOS = just another way to sell cigarettes and market it as "safer" lol

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Thanks @Katya, had a read of the thread about the Ploom, did seem a bit wacky to say the least.
    I've had a little read up on the IQOS and does seem to be a different concept of heating tobacco rather than burning it. Appears you have to buy the tobacco pods/sticks to go in it rather than putting Golden Virginia in it out of a pouch.
    Not sure I agree that its safer than vaping! What's in the little pods or sticks.
    Guess it's an alternative to smoking.
    I will carry on reading lol.

@Rossum is an expert on iQos--he actually used it.
    Yup. WTA helped me a lot early on, and I'll still drip a drop or two occasionally. But having also bought an IQOS a couple of years ago (out of sheer curiosity at a duty free shop in Europe on a business trip), I'll say that IMO, IQOS is a better substitute for tobacco than WTA liquid is.

Now mind you, my experience with IQOS was 4-1/2 years after I'd switched from smoking to vaping, so perhaps my judgement is off, but I think IQOS does something that even WTA doesn't.

All that said, I think it's been the better part of a year since I used mine, and I only ever used it on a very occasional basis.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    With smoking tobacco (combustible) the higher the temps it burns at, the worse it is for you (like what we used to call "hot boxing" a cig back in the day) So... it could be less harmful with the lower temps but still quite bad compared to vaping.

I'm sure it is safer--there's no combustion.

Reactions: Jebbn

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    @Rossum is an expert on iQos--he actually used it.
    Thanks @Katya, had a good read to see what it's all about. Also went through the thread you linked from Rossum.
    Appears to me to be a bit of a gimmick and a different slant on the smoking/vaping camps.
    Definitely something I wont be jumping on board with.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Thanks @Katya, had a good read to see what it's all about. Also went through the thread you linked from Rossum.
    Appears to me to be a bit of a gimmick and a different slant on the smoking/vaping camps.
    Definitely something I wont be jumping on board with.

I agree. That's not for vapers. But for current smokers it might be an option. Either as an alternative to smoking or a bridge to vaping.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread