Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
One of my OG minis is a little more loved (read...it's been used hard and has a couple extra beauty marks)...and the other day I was looking and thinking. The thought keeps coming to me.

I keep thinking of milling it like the LP grand. My tumbled mini gets all the love, and I just think this one needs some attention. I'm thinking of milling it and giving it a new color. I highly doubt I could duplicate it, but the art yaypudding did on his has always caught my eye. Has anyone milled an OG mini? The main thing stopping me is it is not in production anymore.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
One of my OG minis is a little more loved (read...it's been used hard and has a couple extra beauty marks)...and the other day I was looking and thinking. The thought keeps coming to me.

I keep thinking of milling it like the LP grand. My tumbled mini gets all the love, and I just think this one needs some attention. I'm thinking of milling it and giving it a new color. I highly doubt I could duplicate it, but the art yaypudding did on his has always caught my eye. Has anyone milled an OG mini? The main thing stopping me is it is not in production anymore.

Do you promise to love and cherish it forever? To love it if the finish you give is not quite what you expected? To love it if your milling is not perfect?

If you answer yes to all of the above then I see no reason not to go ahead with the process of making it your own creation!!

No, they are not made anymore, but that will make YOURS even more special!!! Not like you will be doing something that will make it not work.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
Why not build one from scratch ?
If you have the tools to do it ?
Good luck and let me know how it goes
H

The tools to mill a little off the top don't compare to making one from scratch :laugh: My version of "mill" will be "cut and file".

Do you promise to love and cherish it forever? To love it if the finish you give is not quite what you expected? To love it if your milling is not perfect?

If you answer yes to all of the above then I see no reason not to go ahead with the process of making it your own creation!!

No, they are not made anymore, but that will make YOURS even more special!!! Not like you will be doing something that will make it not work.

I like your angle!

I figure worst case is I screw up the connection, send to the master and have him put a new one in. I don't know when I will get to it...but the idea isn't leaving my head.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'd just do the paint job, since the batteries for OG mini cannot really push the dual builds of some of the bigger RDAs, why go LP with it?

Now THAT makes sense. With the catch cup of the original Mini, it!s not just too tall, it's also smaller in diameter than any of the other REOs. You'd have to ream it as well as file it down.....

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
It's not about sub ohm...it's simply because I looked at it and thought about it. I could have a one of a kind :)

With the regular milled RM2 you will have more of the base showing if you mill it down.

Nothing wrong with a one of a kind if you plan on keeping it. It might be a drawback if you plan or want to sell later.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
With the regular milled RM2 you will have more of the base showing if you mill it down.

Nothing wrong with a one of a kind if you plan on keeping it. It might be a drawback if you plan or want to sell later.

I had actually hoped I could buy a non milled RM2 when I am done ;)

No plans to sell, ever. Previous owner already drilled for a lanyard. It's a little work pony.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
:blush:Sorry.. but what is ream? ..and what is lanyard? hahaha i dunno i might just be getting tired ..or is this American talk? haha

sorry for the hold up:)

Ha. I didn't think "ream" was just American-speak until you questioned it. Ream out the catch cup means to make it bigger in diameter. Drill it out. And a lanyard is just a strap connected to the mod so you could wear it around your neck. A necklace, sorta.....

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
The tools to mill a little off the top don't compare to making one from scratch :laugh: My version of "mill" will be "cut and file".

I like your angle!

I figure worst case is I screw up the connection, send to the master and have him put a new one in. I don't know when I will get to it...but the idea isn't leaving my head.

Instead of the cut and file (which may or may not be difficult to keep "square") you could grind it off easily (it's aluminum).

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
it'll only take a few minutes to "mill" it flush with a belt sander, and a belt sander will give you a nice square flat top too, assuming the stop on the belt sander is adjusted to the right 90 deg. angle... once you're going to flatten it then the size of the original recess is irrelevant as just about everything will now fit :)

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
Instead of the cut and file (which may or may not be difficult to keep "square") you could grind it off easily (it's aluminum).

Bench grinder and aluminum is a bad combo. At least that's what I was taught.

it'll only take a few minutes to "mill" it flush with a belt sander, and a belt sander will give you a nice square flat top too, assuming the stop on the belt sander is adjusted to the right 90 deg. angle... once you're going to flatten it then the size of the original recess is irrelevant as just about everything will now fit :)

Sure, tell me how easy it is with a tool I don't have :laugh:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
a hand grinder would be fine but harder to keep it flat and level. I'd use a hand grinder to rough it in to close and then hell you could even block sand it the rest of the way by hand even to just flatten it out to level. start with something aggressive like 36-50 grit after grinding, then go up a few grades to smooth it out once you get the basic flat and level.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
also if you are going to use a file, file a candle first, that'll load the file with wax and then the aluminum won't jam up your file but it'll still work fine :)

nice tips! is that wet & dry sandpaper not normal glass paper on brown backing?

i have an old sander knocking about here that you can fit half a sheet on but it has like a foam pad which i think would round it off, would have to be careful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread