Hershey's Cocoa as Chocolate Flavoring Base?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Have been mixing my own e-juices, other than a favorite from the man who turned me onto vaping & saved my life.

Chocolate is one of my favorite flavors. However, have tried my main two sources & none are like that of what my supplier sold (Double Chocolate). Am leery of asking him because it's one of his top sellers, may not want to provide recipe.:D

So I came up with a possible idea to dissolve Hershey's Cocoa for several days in some PG (it's much thinner) to come up with the flavor. Before I rush out to buy a container, which would otherwise go unused, will this work?

I'm also open to alternative ways to dissolve, if anyone has a better idea. Or if this is a viable alternative at all.

Thanks for any suggestions.:)

Cat

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
If I were you, I wouldn't go the Hershey's Cocoa route. I'd check out brands like The Flavor Apprentice, Capella, and others to see which of their Chocolate flavorings sound interesting to you. Sometimes, a mix of a couple chocolates will provide a totally different taste, too.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I agree with @JCinFLA.

I know getting "closer to the source" seems like a logical idea. But (yes; that's a big but), that is introducing even more "unknowns" into the inhalation safety hodgepodge.

It may "seem" like it should work. But, one has no idea if the components extracted, will still replicate the flavor desired. They could be entirely absent. Or, they may not vaporize at the temperatures we vape at. And, that says nothing about the exposure one may be submitting themselves to.

I will be one of the first to admit that we really don't know what risks we take vaping; as there has been almost nothing in the way of long term studies. Let alone, for all the multitude of various flavor compounds. The possible combinations are near limitless. But when one introduces their own extraction, and filtering processes, I can't help but think that risk is magnified.

I am not saying any given commercial concentrate is automatically safer... because I don't know. I am only saying; that it is likely that one is adding to the risk (because of additional unknown ingredients/components). Ultimately, it comes down to, what is it worth to you? Have you eliminated all other alternatives? Is this the one thing that keeps you from returning to smoking? Is this less risky than smoking?

I don't know any given person's answers; and I don't judge them for their answers, or choices. I have enough to answer for, in my own life.:facepalm:

I understand that concentrates get a bad rap because they are not "natural." But, I choose to look at them, as a "cleaner" source... if for no other reason, than they contain nothing not absolutely necessary to replicate the flavor desired. (Rational: ingredients cost money. Don't add anything unneeded. Fewer ingredients = greater profits... as long as the result tastes good.)

And, also as JC already pointed out; there are a bunch of options already out there... before one should feel obligated to reinvent the wheel. Bull City Flavors is just one vendor. And, if you do a search for "Chocolate," you will find no less than 70 results. Granted, some are for wholesale size duplicates. But, still, that leaves you with more that 30 offerings... including a couple "chocolate double" choices. ;)

@catilley1092, if you don't feel comfortable asking your local shop for the recipe, you might at least want to ask them if they extract any of their own flavors? And, if they do, is chocolate one of them? At least, before you yourself, drive down that road.

And, if you decide to explore various concentrates, keep in mind that often there are other secondary flavors that "enhance," "boost," "fill out," or "complete" a desired profile.

When you taste various chocolate concentrates; don't just look for "yes/no" perceptions. Instead, look for what tastes "good," as well as what might be "bad" or missing. Often, a combination of two, or more, ingredients is necessary to fulfill a flavor "profile."

Finally, I would hope to offer reasonable expectations, for a "chocolate" search. Chocolate is one of the "unicorn" flavors for many mixers... it is highly sought, and rarely found. That said, you have had a chocolate vape you liked, and therefore... should be achievable.

• Buy only the smallest volumes available of concentrates until you dial in those that work best for you. You can always buy bigger bottles later.
  • Consider combinations. "This" flavor has the right "smooth and creamy," but not enough "chocolate." While, "that" flavor has a lot of "chocolate" taste, but it s dry and chalky. It may be simply a matter of combining the two. Or, the addition of yet another concentrate... like a cream, or a sweetener. Keeping an open mind, allows for a lot more options, than a simple this is "right/wrong.
  • If this is really important to you; don't get discouraged. I like to think about a couple of things attributed to Thomas Edison:
    • "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."
    • "Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."
    • "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Bottom line? If it is truly important to you; keep at it. Your local shop figured it out, so can you,... if you want to bad enough. :)
:toast:

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
If it means anything or not, i do have this to add for thought.....there was at one time a non tobacco cigarette made from the outer husk of a cacao bean, toasted and shredded and rolled up with a filter. I remember smoking some of these when i was but a rebellious teen. That doesnt make them safe or anything but the flavor was reminiscent of chocolate. If you filter your pg thoroughly after soaking cocoa powder in it for a period of time, it may very well taste like chocolate. I personally dont think it will be any worse to vape than any other flavoring available. It may not taste good at all but who knows. I may try this myself as ive been wanting a chocolate vape that actually tastes like chocolate. I would be sure to filter it well before using it. Any particulate matter floating around will most certainly not be a good thing. Id give it a good 2 week or 3 week soak probably though

Reactions: catilley1092

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Have been mixing my own e-juices, other than a favorite from the man who turned me onto vaping & saved my life.

Chocolate is one of my favorite flavors. However, have tried my main two sources & none are like that of what my supplier sold (Double Chocolate). Am leery of asking him because it's one of his top sellers, may not want to provide recipe.:D

So I came up with a possible idea to dissolve Hershey's Cocoa for several days in some PG (it's much thinner) to come up with the flavor. Before I rush out to buy a container, which would otherwise go unused, will this work?

I'm also open to alternative ways to dissolve, if anyone has a better idea. Or if this is a viable alternative at all.

Thanks for any suggestions.:)

Cat
No. For many reasons.
One of them is It will suspend, not dissolve. It will likely burn and you’ll have all sorts of wick problems

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I've sampled a few of the chocolate concentrate flavors, from bull city and else where. Nic river has an Australian that's quite good.

Anecdotally, you could MOVE to Hershey, and vape flavorless... Every time I drive through there it's at least a 2 mile chocolate experience, depending on the wind.

Also, the Aztecs smoked chocolate, but I don't think I'd want to even attempt what your thinking. The flavor is all you want, and you'd likely get caffeine as well as other compounds besides flavor.

Reactions: Nermal

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Iirc there is a thing called “chocolate liquor” which is actually a liquid and made from chocolate. IIRC it’s way too complicated to make by hand though and might still have huge problems. A chocolate flavoring that is listed by the FDA is a far better idea IMHO. Real chocolate isn’t sweet btw. It’s bitter. Chocolate bars are chocolate and cocoa butter and milk and sugar. The chocolate is actually just one ingredient.

If you want something that tastes like a chocolate bar you don’t want cocoa in the first place.

Last edited:

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Reactions: catilley1092

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Early dinosaur days of Vaping people were buying flavorings from The Perfumer's Apprentice for e-liquids. But these artificial flavors were made for digestion, not inhalation. Thus the The Flavor Apprentice, a sister company to TPA, was born.
E-liquid flavors sold commercially are specifically designed for vaping (inhalation). Grabbing items out of the kitchen or the garage to mix e-liquids is a bad idea.
As far as your personal favorites, all tastes are subjective. I can tell you what I like, but I cannot tell you what you would like. Trial and Error seems monotonous, and maybe expensive, but it's the best way to find what you are looking for. By the way, my opinion - chocolate is a flavor that is difficult to reproduce in vaping. So keep looking.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Sorry it took so long for me to return to this Topic, didn't draw any initial responses & tried another flavor, which was better......yet still way off.:(

Nic river has an Australian that's quite good.

I buy all of my flavorings from Nicotine River & recommend to others, will surely purchase the one you suggested at the first week of next month.:)

Thanks for all of the answers given, I truly appreciate all of your responses.:thumbs:

Cat

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Sorry it took so long for me to return to this Topic, didn't draw any initial responses & tried another flavor, which was better......yet still way off.:(

I buy all of my flavorings from Nicotine River & recommend to others, will surely purchase the one you suggested at the first week of next month.:)

Thanks for all of the answers given, I truly appreciate all of your responses.:thumbs:

Cat
It's a good dark chocolate, but not bitter, or overly sweet to me. Probably could use balancing with another Chocolate or maybe a cream, but it's good, to me, in it's own.

Reactions: bombastinator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread